DR amp has 8 lugs, speaker only has 4 holes. Now what???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fast ricky love, Oct 23, 2005.

1. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

What do you guys do in this situation? Drilling addition holes into the speaker frame seems like a risky proposition. Do you remove the extra lugs from the baffle board? If so, how is that done?

2. frank62

frank62 Member

take the baffle out, the grill cloth off, and the screws out. or just cut off the screws from the back.

3. fast ricky love

Thanks, I think just snipping off the 4 extra screws would be easiest. So no problem from here on just have 4 screws to hold a speaker? I won't be putting anything obscenely heavy in like a JBL...

4. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

It's drill or cut.....for a vintage BFDR, I would drill the speaker. For a DRRI, I'd cut the screws.

5. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

If you plan on selling either the amp or the speaker at some late date, I'd recommend against cutting the bolts or drilling out the speaker.

Frank has the right idea. On my old DR, some of the bolts could be removed by pushing out the grill cloth from inside with the speaker removed.

6. fast ricky love

I agree, removing the cloth and unscrewing the lugs makes sense. Except I lost my stable gun, so putting the cloth back on will be a hassle. Snipping the screws is easy, and I'm sure I could find four identically sized screws at a hardware store and use them should I decide to sell the amp (at which point I'd invest in a staple gun...) Make sense?

7. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Just as a headsup , good replies and yes they are your options.. Replacing the baffle also is an option.. BTW, removing grill cloth and replacing it really professionally sorta sucks.. It's nowhere as ez as it seems like it would be , so to fit a speaker to an amp I'd never recommend that!!

ALSO , it's absolutely absurd to think that 4 screws would be iffy or whatever, holding a speaker secure. The only amps I've owned out of LOADS of them were Fenders that used the 8 screws. I'm sure they're others, but Celestions and many other speakers have had only 4 screw holes forever and many heavy speakers only have 4 . 4 is fine for ANY WEIGHT speaker as long as your baffle board isn't 1/4" thick!!!

ERIC

8. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Drilling the speaker frame is actually very easy and not at all risky. Just mark it correctly - the easiest way is to put the old and new speakers together face-to-face, lining up the four holes that do match, and mark on the rim where the missing holes are - then put the speaker face down on a piece of scrap wood and drill through from the back.

I wouldn't do that to a nice old speaker, but I would think very hard before snipping the bolts - getting new ones isn't as easy as you think (they have left-hand woodscrew threads at the head end, which you need to know if you want to unscrew them too), and fitting them is a pain if the amp doesn't have a separate detachable grille. It's not as easy as it looks to unstaple the cloth and redo it so it looks 'factory' either.

9. ericb

SEe , he said the same thing I did about the grill cloth! I did a pretty good job on my 1970 Twin , (built a new baffle and did the grill cloth from scratch , and on a 1965 Gibson I have, but it's a PAIN IN THE BUTT, and if you're not patient it won't look good.

ALSO , as for John's drilling advice, I fully agree< BUT once again , unless you're a very steady handed guy and you're patient and you're drilling a THIN FRAMED speaker (NOT A CAST FRAME!!!!) Don't do it , as you'll slip and go thru the cone! SORRY to state the obvious but I know how people's power tool skills vary from 1 to another. BUY a speaker with 8 lug holes.. Eminence has KILLER choices now for DR's , as did Naylor , Mojo, Reverend ,etc and they all had 8 holes
    ERIC

10. fast ricky love

Man, nothing is easy!!!:p

Good point about the screws being reverse threaded... hadn't thought of that!

Maybe drilling is the way to go, I figure if I tap the point I'm going to drill into first, I'll avoid the drill bit slipping into the cone... This is a G12H30 I'll be drillling into... (Hellatone30)

11. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

I've got sort of a related question - I either stripped or cross-threaded one of the speaker mounting inserts in my combo. Now I can't get a screw all the way in the one hole. Any ideas? The other 3 are fine. I was thinking of going to Home Depot and asking around - maybe rethread the insert?

Thanks!

jz

PS - Anyone else have a problem with Eminence speakers not lining up exactly with the mounting holes in the cab?

12. ericb

All my Eminence or any speaker I've ever had which is lots line up fine. If you're talking tnuts , you just pop out the bad insert/t-nut and put a new one in . .I've mounted dozens if not over a hundred pa and guitar speakers with those and once stripped , get rid of them!!! Pay the extra buck and get the good ones too. Good luck

ERIC

13. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

just bolt the two speakers together frame to frame,
    and drill the extra holes using the original
    as a demplate.

14. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

I have had good luck using a dremel tool with the heavy duty cutoff wheel getting rid of those pesky extra screws...nice and clean cut and very fast...also, i have replaced T-Nuts with the grillcloth in place...just work slowly and finesse it out...if you stretch the grillcloth in the process, mist a little water on the area and hit it with a blow dryer...drilling the speaker is a little tricky because if the cardboard surround...you have to very careful not to seperate it during the drilling process and drillbits tend to tear that stuff up easily...the dremel is also great to remove a cross-threaded nut...

15. fast ricky love

Yes! Perfect solution. :)

16. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

you won't drill the cone, just do it like I said. Its easy.