dr. dog's pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by takeittothemall, Feb 8, 2012.

1. takeittothemall

takeittothemall Member

i saw dr. dog the other night. it was an uproariously good time. i caught a few pictures of their pedal boards and amps. sorry they're a little blurry.

Scott McMicken's amp (on the right of the photo):
    [​IMG]
    it appears to be a sommatone amp: http://www.sommatone.com/artists.html

his pedal board:
    [​IMG]
    boss digital delay, boss tuner, boss graphic equalize, boss octave pedal, boss phase shifter (i think), volume pedal, some unidentified black pedal (probably a dirt device)

Frank McElroy's amp (the tweed-y one):
    [​IMG]

his pedal board:
    [​IMG]
    boss octave, boss tuner, ehx sitar pedal, proco rat, blues drive, ibanez graphic equalizer, boss phase shifter, and two other bos pedals i can't identify from the photo

2. magnus02

magnus02 Member

Where'd they play? I didn't realize they were on tour...

I havent seen them yet but I am obsessed... Hope they hit the east coast soon

3. radcliff

radcliff Member

Saw them in SD last night. Guitars sounded huge. Seems to be mostly them, their amps and those hollowbodies to blame.

4. takeittothemall

takeittothemall Member

i saw them in phoenix.

5. ibegofyou

ibegofyou Member

Seeing them on Friday. Was planning on snapping the exact same photos. Did you get a look at Scott's board?

6. WolfStache

WolfStache Member

Was just listening to Be The Void. Thanks for them pics! Love me some Dr Dog.

7. takeittothemall

takeittothemall Member

yeah. that first pedalboard pic (with the volume pedal) is scott's board.

he was playing fender coronado for most songs. i definitely preferred that sound to his normal gibson 335-ish guitar.

8. ibegofyou

ibegofyou Member

Brainfart. Somehow completely glossed over that. :rotflmao

I've always thought the two 335 approach was way too loud for the small club gigs they do. Big wall of sound they can put out has sounded crummy when I saw them last. Good to see Scott messing with a Coronado

9. Jeebustime

Jeebustime Member

cant wait for their shows in philly in march, gonna be siiick. both nights at the electric factory!

10. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

Someone remember to walk up to them on a break and inform them they're using Boss pedals and therefore experiencing toan suk. And wear tan pants of course. LOL

11. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

I love stuff like this. A band known for having great tone using gear that the majority of this board would consider "beneath them."

12. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

^^^^

yep!!

love how these touring bands that are creating great music use plain old boss pedals....meanwhile, TGP bedroom warriors are nitpicking every little thing with booteek pedals.

13. Jammer2393

Jammer2393 Member

i would guess that the two unknown pedals on Frank's board are some kind of delay because of the L and S for Short and Long

14. teleking36

teleking36 Member

bumping this thread up because i'm seeing them in boston next week. one of my favorite bands in the past 5 years. the new album is great too!

i'm hoping i'll get a chance to meet them. our band does an annual "dr. dog show". the four of us go together. it's one of the bands we're influenced by and we'd love to someday share some dates with them!

i love seeing the boss stuff! makes me feel like a little bit of an idiot since I do have a mostly TGP board, but it reassures me that they know how to make their rigs work for them, and that they themselves are awesome musicians in their own rite.

15. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

LOVE Dr. Dog. They sold out the venue here in Louisville, KY last week. Good for them. I caught them last year in a 50-person venue on the Shame, Shame tour.