Dr Gonzo/WOW Trainwreck Liverpool clip!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ericb, Oct 27, 2005.

1. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hey didn't want to intrude on the Blockhead 1stborn comments you and Chuck were sharing on the Marshall thread but..... Well the Blockhead clips did nothing for me.. neither did the Trainwreck Express clips really .. They sounded good but I really have lots of amps that would do either just fine..

What got me TOTALLY , when listening to the clips on your site was that absolutely GREAT (WIth a capital GREAT) Trainwreck Liverpool clip!!! Yea baby

Anyway, thanks!

ERIC

:dude

2. hogy

hogy Member

3. ericb

4. martins3325

martins3325 Supporting Member

+1 !!! Wonder if its real or a clone..either way by far my fav clip as well.

But I still think one of the greatest tones ive EVER heard is this clip of a guy who recorded this track with a Real TWreck Express and a REAL '59 Burst!! Absolutely sends a shiver down my spine! --especially at the pickup switch--
    '59 Burst w Express Clip

5. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    That Liverpool clip is cool but I'll take the Blockhead clips anyday for the type music I like.

Chuck

6. martins3325

To me the blockhead has much more a harsh Marshally edge than the Liverpool. But for some styles that edgyness is cool too.. Liverpool sounds much , for lack of a better term, creamier. Which I like alot. Chuck, what did you think of the 59 Burst/Express clip I linked to? Is that more your sound or are you really into the serious cutting tones.

7. beavis

beavis Member

"But I still think one of the greatest tones ive EVER heard is this clip of a guy who recorded this track with a Real TWreck Express and a REAL '59 Burst!! Absolutely sends a shiver down my spine! --especially at the pickup switch--"

Martins3325 - dude that clip RAWKS!
    :dude

8. procos

procos Supporting Member

Yeah I like that clip alot as well. I still really like those Blockhead clips better.

Chuck

9. procos

procos Supporting Member

The clips of the Blockhead are definitely honky that is what I like about them. As for small not sure I can tell if it sounds small but to me I just love the tone. Again to each his own. It sounds more Allman Brothers to me and that is what I love.

Chuck

10. martins3325

That's Geetarpicker in that clip...
    Yeah thats the guy..the Strat SSH clip is a bit more "metal" sounding to me..I definitely like the '59 Burst clip alot more.

I really like the Liverpool clip alot too..I thought it was probably Bernie from BB and Stingers..hes a great player too and has several real wrecks as well.

Id like to maybe get some hobbiest to build me a liverpool clone someday..someone who just wants to do it cuz they like building amps for fun, not for profit. I have a tremendous respect for Ken and would not like to contribute to someone making money off his designs while he doesnt. But Id sure like to have one. Hell id try it myself but id probably electracute myself..lol

11. ericb

So what'd you think of the LIverpool sound? You probably had already heard that clip huh? The beginning was SPECTACULAR and then of course it started sounding more like a typical old Marshall /old Fender mix (i.e. Michael Landau or SRV tones)

The beginning was just phenomenal . I wasn't impressed by ANY of the Express clips I heard on that page, and the Blockheads sounded basic too.. I guess I'm lucky I have so many good amps as those sounds were just sort of normal for me, whereas the LIverpool was just BEAUTIFUL..

I have no old Vox's though and that's the only sound I miss

ERIC

12. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

hahah. Some of those are nice but when it comes to playing the **** out of the blues, I'll take my $350.00 Ampeg VT-40 over all dem other clips...but WTF do I know... heheh... :p

13. ericb

Leon I felt the same way about ALL of the other clips on that page that were Blockhead or Express.... You didn't like that LIverpool tone? Damn , that was PERFECT to me , and really really lush at the beginning... Like that 3 dimensionality everyone always posts about.. I don't hear tones in dimensions tho! ERIC

14. Leonc

Ya, I dug it. It was good. My only point was...I didn't see God...who I do ocasionally bump into when I'm playing my VT-40 ;) .

15. Leonc

Which actually gets us into "in the eye of the beholder" territory which is where so many of these threads go anyways.:cool:

16. martins3325

Well..certainly not an attack..but I, personally have NEVER heard ANY Ampeg that can come anywhere even close to the 59 Burst/Wreck Clip I linked to ..but there is also a meager ~$250,000 difference between the setup on that clip and most others on this planet. lol. And like you said beauty is in the ear of the beholder.l

17. beavis

beavis Member

Actually, your cost estimate is not even close to being accurate on the Burst/Wreck rig, however, I can promise you that if you plug that player into an Ampeg V-whatever or damn near anything it'll sound good.....

but as was said previously, these threads inevitably lead to LaLa Land....

18. hogy

hogy Member

Yes, I'd heard it before. It sounds good. Liverpools are all a bit different, the best I've heard recorded is Babaji's on some amp fest DVD I have. It sounds stunning, almost as good as his AC30/4 (on the same DVD).:)
    Could be the player though...

Hogy

19. martins3325

No doubt that guy can play his ass off...and you would know it even if he were playing a gorilla amp... from the clips I hear on this site theres a lot of great players here..its just few and far between that I hear someones that I say "wow" about thier tone as opposed to their playing. I mean obviously a guy like eric johnson can play too--massive understatment-- but when I saw him I thought his tone was awful, though obviously his playing is stellar--dont beat me up for that guys..just what "I" thought--..others revere his tone. For me only a few guys tone really get it..and theres a little something extra about, and its probably a pretty short list .. Early Gibbons, Early Joe Walsh, Brian May, Gary Moore, and I remember thinking Frank Marino had a killer tone...maybe a few others that dont immediately come to mind. So im always kinda very pleasantly surprised when I hear a guy who isnt "famous' in that same revered tone circle. And that guy's clip for me is.

How far off am I on the Burst? Last I knew..was like 225ish..must be going up exponentially each month..not that im looking for one..lol