1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

DR pure blues

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Devin, May 16, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

I just had a set installed for a setup, used em' before and thought they were OK alternatives to my fav d'addario pure nickle. They sounded like junk. I have never heard a fresh set of strings so dead and tinny sounding. Ive never even disliked a string set before now. Bums me out. Put on my d'addario's and wow! this guitar sounds great!

2. cap217

cap217 Member

Were the DR's rusted right out of the box too?

3. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

This sounds off...I think you may have picked up a faulty set. If anything, these strings are supposed to sound the opposite of tinny; More mellow and less highs than coated strings. Did you just pick up these strings and put them on? Or were they a set that you've had for a while and just decided to try them out again now?

4. chervokas

chervokas Member

I'm off the DRs, they're inexpensive and have a really nice soft feel as pure nickel strings go, but I think they kink easily, wear out faster, and don't intonate or hold tune as well as other primo (albeit much pricier) pure nickel round core strings like the Pyramid Nickel Classics or the TI Flatwound Jazzes. And I use round core, pure nickel on all my electrics.

However I've never had a set of DR Pure Blues sound "tinny". Far from it. Even among pure nickels--which are warmer and have less magnetic material so they're less hot than steel wrapped strings--the DR PBs are warmer than most. But you know, if you like the D'Addarios use 'em.

5. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

I agree with you on this - they do wear a lot faster than most strings I've used. This is probably the main reason why I only use it on my Tele and 335 (both of which I don't play often, as the music I play doesn't call for those sounds too much). But they do have a pretty unique tone to it that I haven't found in other strings.

6. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

Let me clarify; I had this set on and retuned for more than a week. They were "dark" sounding not "bright" like stainless sets. Bad sustain the mids would die out before the bass and treble. Everything I played was out of tune sounding (more than usual) They were tinny, as in like no sustain. They sounded like strings that needed to be changed really badly. I think the extra $1 is always worth it.

7. chervokas

chervokas Member

Well I love pure nickel, round core strings and there aren't too many sets out there. The DR Pure Blues, the Pyramid Nickel Classics, I think one of the Markley Hendrix sets (which I haven't tried) and a Newtone set (which I also haven't tried). There are more hex core choices, but among round core pure nickels a player only has about 4 or 5 choices. I love the soft feel of the DRs, but I like the brighter tone and better durability and pitch stability of the Pyramids. And lately on my Tele I've been playing the TI flatwound pure nickels which I think are round core, and they're the best strings I've ever played and great on a bright guitar, if you like flatwounds, which I'm starting to like very much.

8. waters

waters Member

I ordered a set of DR Blues a few weeks back and never bothered plugging the guitar in after trying to set it up correctly. There was noticeable corrosion/rust on multiple strings and I couldn't come close to getting the intonation correct on two of the wound strings. Also, I did exactly what the inside of the package said to do with the string before installing. I do not care about how good these supposedly sound I will never try these strings again.

9. Last

Last Member

Just goes to show ya how subjective this stuff can be.

I love DR BLUES Pure Nickels.

Actually even like them better after a month of playing.

I do need to change them again though as it's been over 2 months of almost daily playing for a couple of hours each day.

I have had a bad set in the past but the next set was fine.

I buy them in Packs of 10.

10. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

I've used and abused the Pure Blues for several years now on all my guitars. I've never had a problem with them.

D

11. cap217

cap217 Member

I get sets with rust every time!

12. TheReverendCommon

TheReverendCommon Member

i personally like the Tite Fit DR strings...

i've always found the pure blues to wear out REALLY fast and i'm left with a really dull feel to them.

13. DigitalHater

DigitalHater Member

Hmmm, interesting. DR Pure Blues are the only strings I use. I love them, never had most of these problems. Go figure, call me lucky.

14. nospickups

nospickups Silver Supporting Member

These are all I use and have been a kind of revelation for me. I have never had any of these problems and I have been useing them for about 4years.

15. golfnutt67

golfnutt67 Member

+1 I love em never had any probs with them but obviously some have had thatÂ’s too bad

16. Triangle

Triangle Member

Might be a gauge related issue that's causing the love/hate relationship people are having.
    I play Pure Blues 11s and love em. Might try some GHS burnished or some others just to test the waters, but Ill probably come back to DR.

17. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

I also tried the DRs and they just didn't do it for me; seemed dull and wouldn't stay in tune.

I received an ad last week from ElectroHarmonix; they have some nickel-wound strings just out.

Might have to give those a try.

18. chervokas

chervokas Member

Well, I've played 10s and 11s of the DRs and w/ respect to intonation, tuning, wear there was no difference.

The DRs are not only pure nickel wrapped but also round core, so if you want to compare other, similar strings, there are only a few with round-core construction. The GHS burnished nickels are hex core. There might not be much of a difference, and if there is it's probably mostly in feel not tone, but just so you're making an apples to apples comparison.

FWIW I don't hate the DR PBs, but I don't love 'em either... They do sound duller, wear faster, hold tune and intonation worse than, say, the Pyramid Nickel Classics, which are also round core, pure nickel wrapped. And while their soft feel under the fingers is really nice, I've also had the strings kink at frets going dead or buzzy as a result, I guess, from the same thing that gives the strings their soft feel.

They're ok strings, but I think there are better albeit more expensive choices among round-core, pure nickel sets.

19. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

I've been using them recently and did notice the "kinking" over top my frets (especially the D string). Not sure if it was the Blues or HighBeams but I just picked up strings today and went back to Boomers.
    I was worried that maybe the frets were sharpening and causing the kinks - we'll see...

(also was having tuning issues that I didn't have in the past) - although they did sound good.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  20. MBoDean

MBoDean Member

Used 'em for several years and they're my favorite for Fender guitars. Never had a problem. I just wipe them down after playing and they've lasted me a long time.