Dr Scientist RRR - Rotary speaker simulation question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by edgie, Jan 25, 2012.

1. edgie

edgie Member

How close is it to the real thing? I've never heard a Leslie Rotary unit in person but some reviews I read said it's a good simulation. I'm looking for a more thorough comparison though as I'm contemplating if I would still need an Arion Chorus for that sound. I have an RRR on the way from PGS.

2. taez555

taez555 Member

It's decent, it's definitely no Uni-Vibe, plus it only has two speeds that you have to manually switch. I honestly never use it though since the reverb is usually always on. However it is fun to play with once in a while, but if you want a real vibe you pretty much need a dedicated vibe pedal.

3. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I thought the RRR was a reverb unit?

4. edgie

edgie Member

Thanks for the reply. I do have a Mojo Vibe that I love a lot for that. It's just that the Mojo Vibe is more, shall we say, hazy compared to the Arion's seemingly more hi-fi take on the Rotary sound.

5. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

but it's a reverb pedal the one I have is...? even the new mini model is just reverb?????
    It doesn't do vibe?

6. taez555

taez555 Member

http://www.drscientist.ca/pedals/rev

The last setting is a rotating speaker.

7. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

really, I just thought it was a noise setting, never cared for it.
    I learned something today.
    I have the rrr and the trem, as good as they are they can get out of hand at times.
    thanks

8. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I have both a Dr Scientist mini reverberator and an H&K Tube Rotosphere on my board. The Dr S is a nice effect, IMO, but it isn't in the same league as the Rotsphere for a Leslie sound. If you're really serious about "nailing" the sound you might have to go with a real Leslie, but then you have something that is hard to lift and move besides being expensive. I'm happy with the H&K, so I don't really use the rotating speaker emulator on the Dr Scientist. If that was all I had I'd use it, but of course the trouble is also that you can't use that and the reverb settings at the same time - which right there would make that setting useless for most players.

9. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I have the RRR, Arion and a DLS Rotosim. I never use the RRR in that mode. I always use the verb settings. To be honest, I love my Arion, but the reason being is I like the feel of it more than a straight leslie pedal. I also know there are a couple of go to pedals that people buy for the leslie thing, but the Rotosim does a really good job in my opinion. At least if that's what your after.

10. drolling

drolling Member

Way back when Dr. Scientist's RRR was one of TGP's pedals-du-jour, I attempted to derail a few threads by asking about the rotary setting, but everyone (understandably) wanted to talk about reverb exclusively

But I was curious... still am. I've got a few dedicated rotary simulators, and have never been impressed with the 'vibe/Leslie' patches in multi-effectors - The Alesis Nanoverb's mode, for example, springs to mind as an absolutely execrable attempt at the effect. Unlistenable, IMO

Just wanted to thank the OP for this thread, and bump it back up for more info!

11. Greaser

Greaser Member

I have an older big-box RRR and it doesn't have the rotary setting...

I do use my DD-20 for a leslie sound somtimes, not a lot though. Whenever I play with the leslie sound, Charlie Hunter always comes to mind.

12. edgie

edgie Member

You're welcome. I've read dozens of threads about the RRR even in other forums but strangely enough, I've only seen one youtube vid where the demo guy stated that he prefers it more than the DLS but didn't elaborate.

@mrpinter: I'm not really trying to nail the Leslie sound but it's just that I wasn't expecting that feature on a reverb pedal so I really got curious. Btw, when you said that it would be useless since it can't be used simultaneously with the reverbs of the pedal, does it mean that reverb will always go hand in hand with leslie sounds in recording and in live? I didn't really get to listen to a lot of records with leslie sounds so I'm not sure how their players actually use them.

13. drolling

drolling Member

Edgie, my lil bro's a Hammond player, so I used his Leslie w/my guitar for many years. They don't have built-in reverb circuitry, tho' I could see how certain mic'ing/recording techniques might give that impression

Wouldn't be an issue for me, as all my old single channel amp have both reverb & tremolo. And I only use pedals for true acoustic reverberation effects (room, hall, etc.) as I've yet to find a digital sim that comes remotely close to real spring-pan reverb

Same with trem; They're gettin' close, but they haven't nailed it yet

IMO:hide

14. Wes Mantooth

Wes Mantooth Member

Well there's only two speeds so you're limited there. I think it sounds solid, I kick mine on every once in a while to mix it up.

15. edgie

edgie Member

Thanks for all your inputs guys. I forgot to ask, is the RRR true bypass or buffered? I didn't see any mention of this in the website.

Hopefully, it will be in today. I ordered it with a Tremolessence and they'll be my first Dr Scientist pedals.

16. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

It's true bypass all the way. But it has a great clean boost circuit l, so it's worth leaving on at the end of your chain, if only 100% dry. The rotary setting , to me , is very useable. Somewhere between a phase/vibe and tremolo. I use it in my band's cover of the Beatles' Walrus. It's a blast. If you're doing Hendrix or Clapton you may want something else, but, for me, like I said, it's a very useable sound. You'll dig it I'm sure.