Dr. Scientist: The Cleanness

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by devinb, Jul 23, 2008.

1. devinb

devinb Member

Arrived yesterday.

I ordered it particularly to use with a Gretsch with no real tone controls. The guitar has individual pickup volumes, and a master volume, but the only EQ is the 'mud switch' which gives you the choice between no, a little, and a lot of treble cut.

My amps have limited EQ options as well, so I decided I needed to invest in a pedal.

I have to say it's everything I hoped for and more (a lot of clean boost to it).

I don't really know what else to say about an EQ pedal, but when I searched for this particular pedal before I bought it, I didn't find much here, so I figured I'd start a thread to let other potential buyers know that one person at least thinks it's a very quality pedal.

2. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Cool, that's a pedal I've been curious about....

3. drolling

drolling Member

+1 on the coolness!

I've got a couple Gretches, and they're as 'picky' about pedals as my old VOX amp..

Nobody seems to *voice* their pedals to work w/F'trons and/or Dynasonic pickups. Boosters, equalizers & overdrives that sound great with strats and/or lesters just don't do a thing for Bamboo Annie (6118).

Been meaning to check out those Scientist pedals - Half my board's now loaded w/Kanuk-made effects (Diamond, MJM)..

BTW, what kind of pickups in that Double Annie? The real problem could be starting w/p-ups, rather than the switching system. Depending on the age/model of the guitar - Mine's been 'upgraded' to TV Jones, and they sound just great - even with the mudswitch!

4. devinb

devinb Member

I've got the stock HiLo's in my Gretsch. I had been a little nervous about the output of them, but all fears have been squashed. I can get a lot of nice overdrive tones out of them, even with the Valvetrain which is all headroom with my Legacy.

5. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

6. devinb

devinb Member

I haven't taken my own pictures yet, but this it the guitar. Jim from Mass Street was great:

[​IMG]

7. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I feel lucky to live 30 minutes from mass street. top notch operation.

8. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I just got a Cleanness and it is great. I A/B'd it with a Chili Picoso at volume last night.

The SCP had more sparkle, but was thinner.

The Cleanness gave more thickness, albeit with a touch darker tone. I preferred it. And it overdrove the amp like a mofo! Very nice.

Need more time with it, but so far it is a very cool buffer/booster/EQ.

9. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Funny, I was just looking at this pedal like 5 minutes ago thinking it looks great.

Is it a good approach for switching between singles and buckers? I was looking into the Retrosonic FA-1 because it has the bass cut as well as bass and treble, but I think this might possibly work better.

10. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i meant DR Scientist Pics!!!!:BITCH:FM :D

11. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

before i got a "too good to turn down" offer for my SBEQ this was what I was gonna get. Dr. S has got the magic touch, I'm really glad to see more pedals than just his RRR getting their fair credit!

12. Belmont

Belmont Member

cool looking pedal,I can't believe all the graphic options[​IMG]

13. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Ok guys. I know this pedal is called "The Cleanness", but does it *really* stay clean at higher output levels? (when you have higher headroom after it) I recently got a HBE Detox EQ. It sounds killer, but it's output control is passive, so when you attenuate frequencies, you loose "perceived" output. I need to be able to boost the output when attenuating frequencies, but can't...

I've tried other EQ pedals, like the BJF Sea Blue EQ. It sounds *amazing*, but always seems to have a bit of grit. This is what I want to avoid.

This Dr. Scientist EQ looks like what I hoped the Detox would be.

14. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

I LOVE my Cleanness pedal. You can dial the EQ in for anything you desire and it delivers in spades. I also have a SBEQ, and several other EQ boosters, and they don't quite match up in sound or versatility.

I can not recommend it enough...Plus Ryan at Dr. Scientist is the nicest guy you will ever meet!!

15. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

As long as your amp has the headroom, so does The Cleanness. Even with severely cut EQ, the pedal has plenty of clean boost. Great EQ. I keep it at the end of my chain and it does everything for me from solo boost, to re-EQing fuzz boxes, to intense over EQ'd sounds, to adjusting my tone for a weird sounding room without having to change my amp and all the setting on my other pedals.

Everything you said, dead on right.