Dr. Scientist The Elements or Emma Electronics pisdiyauwot?

Rumbeer

Okay, so I am pretty tired of reading hundreds of threads and posts of people saying what their favorite distortion pedal is.

I believe I have narrowed it down to these two for what I am specifically looking to do. Which is to have a "metal" pedal on my board. I need it specifically to get tones for music like Dream Theater, Liquid Tension, Symphony X, Judas Priest (Painkiller Album).

No one better mention any of those crappy Boss Metal Zone pedals here.

So who has any first hand experience with these two. I also like a tone that is not way too shrill, and that is also why I like that they have such a versatile EQ layout.

I've been trying to get by to do the heavy stuff with my Suhr Riot, but it's just not there for the palm muting rhythm stuff. Sounds good for lead and such, but I prefer the Wampler Pinnacle for the lead anyway.

Ideally I would just like to have a great amp for this like a Mesa MarkV or an ENGL, but this will be going through a Mesa Lonestar.

aporcelainsky

I know this isn't one of your choices.. but I'd suggest the mi audio megalith delta. I love dr. scientist pedals, but the megalith really does the high gain metal sound much better IMHO - and yeah, I have owned the elements.

Dogman

I´ll second that. While I only tried the Emma of the two pedals you asked about I have tried and owned a countless number of other highgain pedals in recent years. I will admit the honeymoon phase is not yet over but I´m already shure the Megalith kicks every other one off my board, it really is that good. Tight yet fat and very (dare I say it?) amplike in feel and response. Worked like a charm on recent gigs, recording experiences are still pending. YMMV :)

hollowhero

I know this isn't one of your choices.. but I'd suggest the mi audio megalith delta. I love dr. scientist pedals, but the megalith really does the high gain metal sound much better IMHO - and yeah, I have owned the elements.
I came in here to suggest exactly this. Get a MI Megalith

Rumbeer

Okay, I think you guys just sold me on the MI Megalith!!! Thing sounds insane!!! I thought I saw that before, but the whole lay out and the tone controls and the tone is insane. Now I have to unload my Riot...thing is useless at this point.

Shish

I had both, Elements is gone, Pisdiyauwot stayed. It is worth mentioning that I'm playing bass but distortion is used a lot for guitar-like parts on D and G strings.
Elements is much more versatile in terms of EQ and gain. It is also more dynamic. Pisdiyauwot is very compressed.
Both are great pedals with different character. I sold Elements because it didn't work well with my active bass but I can't say that either of them is obviously better that another one.

Rumbeer

Guys, how is the noise level on the MI Megalith with the gain cranked. More specifically how is the noise level with the boost engaged? I dont think I would ever turn up the gain to 10 on this, but how is the noise level with the boost engaged for solos or what not?

Thanks for the suggestion guys! Finally something on point without like 10 pages of peoples favorite pedals.

Dogman

Guys, how is the noise level on the MI Megalith with the gain cranked.
I´m a stickler for low noise, the Amptweaker Tightrock for example - while sounding and feeling great - soon fell from grace because its noise level would become really annoying at the gainlevels I prefer.

The Megalith on the other hand I would rate - in relation to the gain levels on tap - as one of the quietest pedals I´ve ever encountered.
I usually set the gain to 2 o´clock. Even with boost activated noise/hiss is there but hardly noticable. With cranked gain and boost enganged (resulting in totally absurd amounts of distortion that would allow you to play deathmetal with the weakest single coils) the hiss becomes clearly noticeable but not overbearing.

Once again: YMMV, so give it a spin yourself and make up your own mind - but personally I´ve never been more pleased with a highgain pedal. Ever.

aporcelainsky

I too have found it to be a relatively low noise pedal. if you buy the pedal from PGS and don't like it/is too noisy, returns are a breeze.

Rumbeer

Sounds awesome! I was just wondering about the noise since it has so much gain, because my Wampler Pinnacle is quite noisy when the gain is cranked with boost engaged and that is not really a metal pedal. I will definitely be trying the Megalith in the near future. Thanks for the suggestion!

Let me be the thirteenth or whatever person to recommend the Megalith Delta. The Elements wasn't that for which I was looking. The MI is all the metal I need in a pedal.

MRCHILL4

I just got my new pedal. A dr.scientist the elements steampunk brown. First of all I love the graphics, the build quality is immaculate. The sounds? Wow!!!!this goes in the category "pedal you knew you loved the second you played it" for me. It's literally got it ALL. Boost, Low, mid and high gain. Every drive pedal should have a mix knob. This is my birthday present to me! Just played for a short time. Can't wait to hit the ilovefuzz website for settings. My choice was between this and the sovereign. So glad I picked this :)

mcnabbanov

No one better mention any of those crappy Boss Metal Zone pedals here.
please. :waiting

the hm-2 and mt-2 are quite good for metal and have been used on countless records by countless bands. have you ever even played them? nothing crappy about that.

but yea, i love the elements but wouldnt use it as a straight metal distortion. its better for heavy stoner metal doom riffing

jackrockerman

Dr Scientist The Elements

-versatility
-the eq (bass,mid and treble)
-gain stage toggle
-mid frequency toggle switch(very important)
-expression input

Trending Topics