DR strings

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tprince, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Tprince

Tprince Member

I bought a set of .11s, pure blues, about a month ago. Before this, I've played D'addario, Elixir, Ernie Ball, GHS - none compare. These strings are amazing. They are smooth, bright, without being too edgy, and long lasting. I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a new brand of strings. I know I'm sticking w/ DR.

2. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

3. stratoquack

stratoquack Supporting Member

I use Elixer strings, but the other day at GC, I was informed that they no longer carry Elixer and offered me DR. I'll give them a shot

4. danbomb

danbomb Member

Where is a cheap place to buy DR's online? I bought a bunch when they were 3 for 10 at GC but I am running low.

5. madsr

madsr Member

6. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Only use DR's here, love em!

7. Tprince

Tprince Member

they're also great for slide. My D'addario's rusted in a week, the DRs last and produce a clean, clear slide tone. Like elixirs, but less expensive, and cleaner.

8. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I have been playing the DR Pure Blues 9-11 for three years now, and I cannot even think of playing any other string.
    Strings are a personal preference...personal opinion.
    The Pure Blues are an animal onto themselves, and there is no other string like it..IMOHO

Take care,
    Mass

9. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Love DR's I use Tite FIts and Pure Blues on my electrics, Tite FIts on my Bass, and Phosphor Bronze RARES on my acoustics (they don't make Bari acoustic or electric sets, otherwise I'd try them too, but the John Pearse strings seem pretty close).

Brett

10. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

DR's are probably my second choice after Snake Oils, Good Strings.

11. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Agree. Great strings, and for whatever reason, they feel a tad slinkier than most others to my fingers. You're so right about the tone of the PBs...they take just a bit of that harsh edge off the top for a fat, warm tone.

12. olectric

olectric Supporting Member

I've never liked any electric strings that DR makes. However, my Collings has been strung with nothing but DR's round-core Sunbeams for the past three years. Those strings on that guitar is where it's at for me acoustically. Due to my experiences witht Sunbeams, I've recommended them to a couple of friends who play Taylors, but their guitars sound a little harsh or too bright with the Sunbeams. Not on my Collings, though. Something just clicks. My only complaint is that I've had a few packs with a dead string in them.

13. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I, too love DRs- PB Rares for my Martins and the Strat gets the pure blues. The only thing I would consider using next would be SOS.

14. Rich

Rich Member

Just goes to show-- its all in the ears and hands of the beholder.

Im in the "never liked any DR strings" category. Didnt sound particularly good to me, and unlike what another member felt, I found them to be STIFFER than many other strings.

To each his own....

15. dave s

dave s Member

DRs used to be my 'go-to' string brand. Tite Fit 10-46. As mentioned, they last longer than most of the known name-brand string sets. Since I played outdoors a lot, the DRs would last about 20 hours with no tuning/stability issues or dulling out compared to about 12 for the usual suspects.

Now, I use the SIT Nickel PowerWound sets. They are also soft on the fingers like the DRs ... they just cost about $2 LESS a pack!

dave

16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

I agree about the SIT's and I was just getting ready to post that until dave s beat me to it!

Yes, if you like DR's try SIT PowerWound pure nickels. I couldn't tell a difference in them and the DR Pure Blues except the DR's cost almost twice as much.

17. Lammy

Lammy Member

I have had problems with DR strings being highly inconsistent from pack to pack. My guitar tech also mentioned it to me, he also has had the same issues. The ones that sounded good were great, but sometimes i would have buzzing problems and intonation problems. I would love to support locally, but i just needed more consistency. I was using the pure blues 11 i think...

18. HHB

HHB Member

I had about 10 sets w/ bad .36's, a real pisser. A salesperson @ the store I teach out of mentioned this to a DR rep @ the Sapartanburg show last year, the guy sent her 10 36's for me, that doesnt help me at all LOL, anyway, when they're good I like em

19. evan_pollan

evan_pollan Member

I love the Tite Fit .10s. I've been through probably 20-25 sets without any consistency or QC issues...

20. mkl13

mkl13 Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Tite Fit 10's. No QC problems here.