DR Strings?!?!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ibanez4life SZ!, Aug 25, 2006.

1. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

Hey guys!

My new RG came with a set of DR 10's....

I know it is a completely different guitar and even gauge than I am used to, but the strings feel and sound sooo much more alive than my D'addarios.....almost as if I'm playing an acoustic.....it's amazing!

So, does anyone else have any experience with DR strings? My SZ is setup with 11's, and I'm thinking about putting DRs on it instead of the D'addarios I've been using for the last 2 years......

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I use DR 'Pure Blues' 10s on several guitars. A nice warm sounding string, and for some reason they always feel slinkier than most others to me.

3. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

That's something I'm looking for! My D'addarios get way too stiff too fast.

4. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

I've used a couple types of DR's. IMHO, they have always felt far too "spongy" for me.

5. kanegon

kanegon Supporting Member

I use zebras on a piezo/hum Hamer Duotone. Unique, they alternate bronze and steel winding for more acoustic-electric effect. Why didn't anyone think of this? Works as advertised.

6. straticus

straticus Member

I've been using DR Tite-fit 10-46's for the past few years and I'm sticking with them.

7. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

I've been using D'addario 9's. DR makes a very high quality string, but D'addario has always felt best to me.

8. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I love the feel and tone of the DR Pure Blues. However, I have found that I tend to get about 5 or 6 bad strings out of every 10 packs. I find that I get more consistency out of D'addario.

9. JoeP

JoeP Member

I''ve been using DR's since they came out. Never have any problems with them. I have found, that if you take your strings when you re-string, and grab them and pull them out away from the guitar to stretch them, you break the wrap away from the core, ie,, bad strings.....

But, I just string it up, bend them just like playing alot of bends that you do normally playing, and i've never had a problem with the strings being bad.

10. waynesmith

waynesmith Member

I use DR Pure Blues 10-46 on my strat. They seem to sound better with strats. They also seem to last longer. On my Les Pauls I like Snake Oil Brand 10-46 the best...Great vintage tone and feel....

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

I used to get DR Pure Blues until I found the SIT Power Grooves. Very similar strings (pure nickel) at half the price. Check 'em out.

12. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I swore by Pure BLues until I tried Snake Oils. I like them better.

The few few backs of DR I bought had faulty strings. DR was great about it, sending me a few new sets.

Bryan

13. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I like snake oils and dr pure blues.

14. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i'm sold on Snake Oils but i LOVED DR strings when i was using 'em.

dave

15. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Another vote for DR Pure Blues 10s.

16. brad347

brad347 Member

I have also experienced faulty strings from DR. It's an issue that I think they're working on but they still haven't gotten it hammered out as far as I know. I can't handle the D'Addario's... it feels like you're playing on some wire from the hardware store. I used to use the Pure Blues back when I was playing .011s.

Now I've bitten the bullet and I just buy Thomastik Infelds... they're way more expensive but I can get roundwound .012s and .013s that don't feel or sound like poo. I like the Jazz BeBop models for all styles... .012s for blues, rock, r&b and .013s for jazz.

I think of the mass-produced strings I like DRs the best.

17. TS808

TS808 Member

I was using 9's until recently I saw a few posts on here about the DR Pure Blues, so I strung up my guitars with DR Pure Blues 10's. The feel of the DRs are really cool...I had tried Ernie Balls and D'Addario 10's in the past but they always felt too stiff for me. The DRs are definitely much "looser" and love the tones on my strat even more.

18. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

I've tried to go through a DR phase but I couldn't handle the inconsistancy. They feel and sound good but they give you intonation issues bad. I literally had to re adjust my intonation everytime I used them. I use D'addario's now because the are the most consistant string I've used. I can set the intonation once and be done. The feel isn't as good but at least my chords play in tune. It's a trade off I guess, I'd rather be in tune.

19. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

I'll give them a shot....but if the inconsistency becomes a big issue, I might be staying with d'addario....

Most people here have mentioned putting the strings on strats for a more vintage tone....one thing I forgot to mention, I'm not really looking for too vintage of a tone.....

I own a Mesa Recto and stay on Channel 3 Modern quite a bit.....

Can they still get dirty and in your face well?

20. brad347

brad347 Member

they're strings. You're the player. :)