DR -vs- BLUE STEEL STRINGS

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarman1956, Jan 11, 2006.

1. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

I'm thinking about switching to DR's. Anybody done this. What's your opinions. Thanks

2. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

I've been using DR's for about 10 yrs. They last longer and hold their tone. The Pure Blues 09's for my Gibsons & 10's for Fenders.:dude

3. toby

toby Supporting Member

do it. i switched about 4 years ago, and there's no way i'd go back to blue steel.

4. Conner

Conner Member

I love DR's. I use the Hi-Beams on my humbucker guitar and Pure Blues on my p90 guitar, both 11-52. They don't break as often, and they hold their tone nicely. YMMV

5. toby

toby Supporting Member

i use tite-fit 10-50, and i like them. used to use 10-46 hi beams, and i liked those quite a bit, also. for rock, blues, etc, i would suggest hi-beams. i actually switched to tite-fit because i'm playing metal now.

6. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

Have played many types of strings on my guitars, and I like the DR Pure Blues the most of all of them. They are affordable, sound great, and they never break on me.

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I love the tone of the Pure Blues. The higher nickel content rounds it out, and for some reason, they feel slinkier to me than others of the same gauge.

8. papersoul

papersoul Member

Tried em all.....gotta go Snake Oil!

9. Madsman

Madsman Member

The real DRs are great. Don't even waste your time on the coated ones. I'm sorry DR, but those strings just suck. The coating affects the tone and sustain of the strings, dulling the sound significantly, and the frickin' coating comes off QUICKLY making the string LOOK as bad as it sounds. I can't recommend those AT ALL. But the regular non-coated DRs are great.

10. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

DR Rare PBs are on all my Martins and I just put on some 10 Pure-Blues on my strat after a few years of usng Nickel Rockers. So far, I like them: good meaty tone and seems like they will hold up well.
    Nick

11. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I have to agree with the pure blues 9-42 users...incredible strings.
    Very distinct dynamics as well.
    I can't use anything else.
    Best Regards,
    Mass

12. HHB

HHB Member

I'm off DR after severals years using them, I had 10 sets w/ bad A strings that would not intonate, DR even seemed aware of the problem, I used Blue Steele this past weekend and liked em, I'll eventualy ordere some ore SOS strings, but DR have just let me down on too may sets

13. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i've used daddarios and ghs for years previously. i switched to dr pure blues 10's about 5 years ago and haven't looked back. they sound great, feel great and i have never broken one. 4 guitars, 5 years that's a lot of strings (for me).