Dr Who theme, guitar that doesn't sound like a guitar content

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by 94prs22, Feb 7, 2006.

1. 94prs22

94prs22 Gold Supporting Member

Here's a clip that I just finished this morning. It's a cover of the Dr. Who theme song, except it's all recorded with a guitar and drum machine. The original Dr. Who theme was one of the first purely "electronic" pieces of music, recorded with an army of monophonic tone synthesizers. I was trying to capture the super cool sci-fi feel of the original, but all recorded with a guitar. With the exception of the drum track which was done with a DR-770, every sound in this recording is a regular 6 string electric guitar (a tele for that matter, alright, for the sake of honesty some of the noises were recorded by "playing" analog effects pedals with a guitar attached but turned down). For the recording I used a regular tele (with bigsby), an analogman bi-comp, a PE vibe unit, a ross flanger, a digitech whammy 1 (octave down, octave up, 2 octaves up, and octave down harmonizing), 2 fender reissue stand alone reverb units, and a metasonix agonizer (the flanger and agonizer create all of the "noise" that you hear). Amps were a pair of Hi-Mu 5.5 amps. Everything that's done with a guitar doesn't have to sound like a guitar.
    http://webpages.charter.net/94prs22/Dr. Who.mp3

Brandon

2. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Brandon, I tried to listen to it but it was only 5 seconds long and nothing happened. I don't know if the problem is on my end, but I thought I would say something. I really want to hear the track.

3. 94prs22

Hmmm. I just downloaded it and it worked for me. It also worked when I played it from the internet. I'm not really very computer savvy so it might be that I messed up my link. If anyone else can't get it to play please let me know.

4. Tonal Comfort

Tonal Comfort Supporting Member

:dude That's awesome! Great job, sounds great!

5. 94prs22

Oops, I forgot, there's a Lovetone Wobulator in there too for the panning tremolo on the "bass" line.
    Brandon

6. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Great job - that show used to scare the absolute crap out of me when I was a young un! Have you ever heard the Underworld version of that track? Sounds huge. :)

Very cool tones, but you got to tone down that piercing noise at the beginning. It's like an ice pick in the ear on my PC!

7. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

Sweet, I have just been buying a bunch of old dr who dvd (tom baker era). I love that show. Funny, my young daughter, who is not scared of the lord of the ring movies, refuses to watch dr who because it scares her :)

8. 94prs22

Thanks for listening and for the kind words. Gassyndrome, I did take notice as I downloaded the track to check if it worked that maybe the beginning noise was a bit piercing. I'll back it down some in the next mix.
    Brandon

9. Antero

Antero Member

Kickass. Warping guitar sounds is great fun, and it sounds like you're damn good at it. :)

10. Ray McFergus

Ray McFergus Member

Awesome work! I would have guessed it was all synth if you hadn't told me. I'm a huge Doctor Who fan.

11. 94prs22

Sounding like a synth was exactly what I was trying to do. The actual recording of the tracks only took about 2.5 hours. It took me 2 days to come up with the right arrangement of effects to create a sustaining bell like tone with minimal attack on the front end of the note. Turns out that the correct combination was just tele neck->bi-comp (comprossor side with the sustain up and the attack fully counter-clockwise)->WH-1->Vibe-Unit (vibrato mode max intensity)->fender reverb unit (dwell and mix up, tone down)->Hi-Mu 5.5 (clean mode with a basic shimmery clean tone, with another fender reverb unit in it's tube effects loop-dwell and mix lower and tone down)->Fostex VF160 via the direct out of the Hi-Mu.

The little robotic melody mimic at the very end of the song was done just with a Robin Octave->WH-1->Hi-Mu (still with the effects loop reverb).

The bass line was identical to the above but with a Lovetone Wobulator (panner mode with a square tremolo wave) in place of the Vibe Unit and the Wob signal being sent stereo to 2 Hi-Mu amps, no reverb on the bass track.

Brandon

12. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

YOU WILL NOT PLAY THAT AGAIN OR YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED !!

13. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

Guitar tone of doom.
    too cool............

14. journo

journo Member

Hi,

Never had that show here in Sweden but the clip was really inventive all the same and I enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Mats N

15. 94prs22

Thanks again for listening folks. Journo, it's a British Sci-fi show, and in my opinion, has one of the most kick ass theme songs of all time.
    Brandon