1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dr Z 2x10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by T-bone, Dec 10, 2005.

1. T-bone

T-bone Member

Just got a Z open back 2x10 with Zs own speakers to use with a Z28 head and all I can say is wow. Tight clear low end, nice mids and best of all no shrill high end.Punchy clear and sweet. I bought the cab to run with a 1x12 cab loaded with a Weber Alnico BD but, I may just use this cab by itself. I'll try them together at practice on Sunday and report back.
    To top it off this baby is built like a tank!
    Me so happy

2. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Dr Z puts a lens, or ring around the 10's to give it a better bass response. My Maz Jr 2x10 was great for tight lows.

3. OLIE J

OLIE J Member

I agree. I use one with my Carmen Ghia head and it just sounds huge. Big on tone and easy on my old back.

4. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I use two Z 10's in a non Z cab and I have to say that the speakers do a lot of the work. My Z28 thru this cab sound damn near as big as my Z28 2x10 combo.

Good ****!!! :AOK

5. MACS93EG

MACS93EG Member

I have had one of the Z-2X10 cabinets for about 8 months and I don't
    think that their is a better sounding 2X10 cabinet and the small size
    of this cabinet makes it a giant killer!!

Great Cab that really sounds great with even lower powered amps
    like the Carmenghia and the Z-28 and I have a Fuchs Audio "LUCKY 7"
    that sounds awfully good for just a 7 watt amplifier!! If you get a
    chance plug into the "L7" through a Z-2X10 cabinet you will be
    pleasantly surprised!

Mac:RoCkIn

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

yup,

i love my little Z cab, too. kinda bummed the Z came off, but all good. at least the cab still sounds rockin'. ;)

7. m1911

m1911 Member

The other thing (some) people may not realize is that these speakers really handle a lot of wattage and volume.....rated at 70 watts each; the (total) cab will take 140!....plenty for most people I think.

8. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

Love the Z 10's. They seem to work with a lot of different amps. I'd love to load some in my 2x10 cab... does Z sell the 10's direct?

9. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

Can someone post a pic of one of these please, i'm interested. (Couldn't find one on the Z web site.

Thanx.

10. JoeP

JoeP Member

I use 4 Dr Z 10's in a Marshall 1965 straight cab, and you talk about fat!!! Although the Z cabs are probably tuned to the speaker quite a bit better, i agree with Laroosco, alot of it is in the speaker. They can handle a ton of volume.... I'm using that cab with either the Maz 18, or the R/X. The more volume that you give them, the sweeter they get in the lows....

11. m1911

m1911 Member

12. T-bone

T-bone Member

They have a ton of punch-push all the right freq.I agree the louder you play the better they sound.
    One thing I did notice is there is no way to hide with these speakers/cab-kinda like Z amps-they will expose what I play- good or bad. I like that though. Should make me a better player with some effort on my part.

13. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I've been playing through a Dr Z 4X10 cab with Z's speakers for a few years and it sounds great whether clean or overdriven. You have not heard what the Z Route 66 can do until you open it up through his 4X10. Also, my Budda Stringmaster kills through this cab, as well as my Demeter. I love the way the bottom stays tight and never gets flabby. I'm thinking/hearing at 4 Ohms I'm getting better headroom and punch.
    FWIW,
    Rick

14. myles111

myles111 Member

These are great cabs and easy to take anywhere. They also have 140 watt handling capacity.

[​IMG]

15. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Maybe I need to break in the speakers in my Z 2x10 more. I was expecting to be blown away by it, as I have historically loved 10" speakers. There is a nasaly midrange characteristic that I can't seem to eq out. I have a Carmen Ghia, Maz 18 Jr NR, and a Route 66. Same with all. As a result I have not used it much. Instead I resort to my Z 1x12 or Z-best. Comments or suggestions?