Dr. Z amp dilemma...Opinions sought...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bushmill, Apr 22, 2005.

1. bushmill

bushmill Supporting Member

Okay! Okay! There are much worse dilemmas to have, but I need a bit of advice: I currently have a Maz 18 JR. Non-reverb head that I run with an Avatar 212 (Weber Silver and G12h-30)...I love the amp and it works great for me. I also have, due to a 'right place/right time', a Maz 38 Invasion 212 w/Celestion Blues...Another gem...Tonally, they are very close...It comes down to headroom/break-up/volume issues for me. I was set on trading out the Jr. and then spent some more time with the amp, which is always a mistake...Do I keep the 38 or sell it? Do I keep both and never again be unhappy with my amps? Do I trade/sell the 18? I am interested in a Mayfly BC-30, a Reinhardt 18, MarWatt 18, or a Z28/Mazerati...I know that looking to boards for answers is a risk, but I am looking for opinions only and not answers...You folks got any??
    Cheers!
    :BEER

2. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

I think I'd off the Jr, and look into one of the others. (Z28 my opinion) The Jr's are around and plentiful, so if you regret it, another can be scored fairly easily.

3. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Keep the both of them and get a Route 66.

4. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

How does the Jr sound through the two blues? It might be magic. If it is, you can always swap speakers and then sell the Maz and get an 18 watter. For some reason, I think that the Mayfly is tonally close to the Jr. I could be completely wrong.

5. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I'm keeping my Z28, that's for sure. My plan is to sell my Mesa Blue Angel and then pick up an Orange AD30HTC.

This probably isn't helping you, but sometimes I just like to ramble on about my own plans.

Sorry.
    :(

My advice to you:
    I agree with Big Mike, by the way. Sell the jr and pick up a Z28. And then get an axess headswitcher and you can switch between the Z28 and the Maz Sr thru the Maz's alnico blues. Oh man...that would be sweeeeeet.

:)

6. myles111

myles111 Member

I love Z-28's but the Ghia is actually my favorite amp of any of my amps, Z or non-Z

7. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I actually prefer the Jr to the Z28:p

8. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Not to confuse you bushmill, but I just got done comparing my Jr vs Z28 vs Ghia, all 3 into a V30, and I definitely prefer the 28. :D They all sound good though, I just find the 28 a bit more dynamically responsive and stronger on the bottom.

9. bushmill

Looks like I have a trade worked out: The JR. for a Z-28....I'll report back...:cool:

10. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

I'm quite sure you'll be pleased. Let us know!

11. m1911

m1911 Member

BIG mistake getting rid of your Junior....
    Juniors and Seniors are :RoCkIn

12. DoobieK

DoobieK Member

Keep both the Jr. and Sr. and be happy forever...:)

13. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

SWEEEET!! Z28 is the Bomb!! The Juniors are nice, but it's ALL about the Z28.

14. Zane

Zane Member

I've never had a chance to try a Z-28 but.....

[​IMG]

GHIA's RULE:dude

15. dstengineer

dstengineer Member

my grandfather always said...

"never go for a blonde with big hoohas when you have a brunette that can cook"

He's dead now and I still have now idea what he meant.

2 great amps. Here's a though ... add a third! What could be better.. except the blonde AND the brunette.
    Maz 38, Maz 18, Marwatt... hey they all begin with M. This seems like a good omen to me.

Bob Dettorre
    DST-Engineering
    Marwatt
    UV6
    U34
    VTR2

16. bushmill

The trade on the Z-28 fell through...Divine intervention? Maybe...I spent some time with the Jr. over the last day or two, solo and with the band...Threw the Blues in the Avatar w/the Maz 18...Boy, Howdy!! The Maz Jr is going nowhere! I also have learned that I prefer heads/cabs over combos...To me there is just something better...Anyways, the Maz 38 Invasion is going on the sale/trade block later this morning....Thanks for all the help there, ladies and gents!:D

17. m1911

m1911 Member

Good move on the Junior!.....now grab a MAZ Senior Head with the proceeds of the Invasion and you will be set for a lifetime!

18. tch2112

tch2112 Member

Z's are great, great amps. I want to try a London 65 later this year and am looking forward to seeing how they compare too.

I have GAS for a Mazerati or Maz Sr. Head too!

Right now it's a JR and Pres. ES and a Z-28 doing it for me in Z land. All nice if I cold own them all I would!

Tom

19. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Mazerati and Route 66 are next on my list

20. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

i will just add that a z28 is next for me. i think it will sound nice beside my rt 66, but i want 2 10's for the z28