Dr. Z Amp Users?

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
Which Z amp is your favorite? I have my Maz 38 for 2.5 years now.
I settled for this amp since I got rid of my trusty Vox AC30 4 years ago.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
I've enjoyed the Rt66, Maz 18NR, Prescription and the Prescription ES. Both Prescription series were great amps... the former being more British sounding and the latter being cleaner. I didn't care for the Maz or 66 that much, I guess they just were not my thing. :confused:

I always wanted to try that Mazarati out and the Stangray as well.

tga-3

Gold Supporting Member
My favorite Z amp is my Stingray. Hands down the best clean tones I've ever heard and takes boosts and overdrives like they are part of the circuit. I never bonded well with the Maz series. I've owned a Carmen Ghia and Route 66 and much preferred the Route 66, killer amp that I will own again. Then there's the Mazarati GT, and the Remedy, and .... In my opinion, some of Dr. Z's designs rank as true classics, and it doesn't look like he's slowing down. Can't wait to try out the Monza!

johnjd52

I've had a Dr z Invasion since 95 I think it is basically a maz 38. It's got two bulldogs labeled Vox. It's a great sounding amp different cleans than a fender or vox, kind of has it's own voice. Very loud, juicy and sweet when cranked. Killer with a tele.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
The Carmen Ghia was sort of a game over find for me
Yeah, my Remedy is like that for me. I love it! I even ditched all my pedals - it's now guitar>cord>amp, nothing more.

It's kind of weird... absolutely loving your tone and not thinking of any way in which it could/should change. My obsessive, determined mind has nothing on which to focus! LOL! (I'm left looking looking at cords and straps... there's nothing else to need... :))

Such freedom to just play and love the sound.

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Platinum Supporting Member
My Route 66 has been my #1 amp since the day I got it. Love it.

aaronblues

Silver Supporting Member
Maz 18R is my #1, has been for the last couple years. Rt 66 will be my next buy unless my local dealer gets in a Rem or Jaz to try first. Owned a Ghia and MiniZ head, and played Maz38 and Stangray a fair amount also...I love 'em all. Have considered buying almost every different make from the emporium at one time or another, and the Monza clips here sound great too.....

cheers

FiestaRed

I've got a Maz Jr combo and a Ghia head. I'm on the look out for a Z-28 head too. I like these amps.

Ramblin Hymns

I love the Z-28.Most underated of all Z's.You put the right tubes in it and a weber blue and it can sound like angels or you can get it pretty angry.

Dave_C

I've had two Route 66s and probably would not have sold them had the Aracom attenuator been around at the time. The Maz 18 Jr NR was purchased in 2002 and has been my "reference amp" ever since. Adding a truly transparent attenuator to get it up into it sweet spot with OD pedals has really changed the whole game. Would love to try/own the EZG-50, Mazerati GT, Galaxie and Monza...hell, I'd like one of each. Mike Zaite is a genius.

Mcclassic

Possibly my old SRZ-65 from the 90's, great amp, second the Remedy.
I have also a jr 18 NR that I like but still tweaking and I am in the process to get a nice NOS Carmen ghia that I think it may be at the same level as the Remedy... wil see...

drweller

Have had the Route 66, Maz JR NR 212, Maz Sr 212, Z28, 6545. My favorites by far were the Route 66 (will own one again) and the KT45 side of the 6545...loved that amp too (but CRAZY loud). Best tones I've ever had were when I was using the Route 66. Really fit the style of music I was playing at the time - was killer...the "perfect" JTM style tone.

Every one of those amps had tube socket issues (especially the rectifier sockets) which is why I nolonger own any. Now that I'm not touring, I'll pick up another R66 and possibly a KT45. Great amps otherwise. Unique tones and anything but one-trick-ponies. Very conservatively rated power - they're all quite loud for their respective wattages. Well priced for the quality/components. Tones aside, they're a great value in hand-made amps.

stratman89

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, my Remedy is like that for me. I love it! I even ditched all my pedals - it's now guitar>cord>amp, nothing more.
That's funny you mention the guitar straight into the amp thing, because my Remedy is the only amp I feel I haven't needed any pedals since I had my '70s Marshall 50w Mark II years back.

I'm really looking forward to the release of the Monza!

Azeotrope

I picked up a Maz JR a couple of months ago (I have a strong feeling it was actually from the poster above - stratman89 is that you??). I find it's perfect for my trio, and indeed it has helped me whittle down my board. We play instrumental post rock type stuff, and I can get any sound I need with guitar > fuzz > compressor > boost > delay > MAZ.

A lot of people complain that the MAZ Jr is too bright, but I have found that this is easily tamed with the treble and cut controls (and I play bridge single coils and P90's 100% of the time). One thing I really like about the MAZ Jr is the volume - I can crank the volume and master to the sweet spots at about 2:00 and it sits perfectly in the mix with a loud drummer.

Now I really can't wait till practice this week.....:dude

TCauble

I had a Maz 38 Sr and matching 2x12 cab that was open back and with blues and that thing KILLED.

Unfortunately mine was stolen but I always tell myself i'll get another one. You'll be dearly missed!

Rumors of War

Silver Supporting Member
I own the 66 and really enjoy it. I've played the Ghia many times and would love to own one someday. I've also played the Mini and Maz 18 and 18NR. I don't think the Z line-up has a "dog" in the bunch.

Trending Topics