Dr. Z amps as good as clips?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by notpetrucci, Oct 5, 2006.

1. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

Ok, I've heard the clips.

The Maz 38 pretty much knocked me off my feet. But c'mon, is the tone all there? Is that glorious "edge of breakup" sensitivity and feel really stuffed into that wood and tolex box?

I'm running a Strat with lower output and and pushing the front with a Blues Devil, although it sounds like I can get everything I need from the amp.

I'm a little worried about using EL84's. The only 84's I've ever liked are in an AC-15 with a Tele. Will it respond to a TS clone/Strat as well as a 6L6 equipped amp? Will I still get that "Texas" low end (think pumpin' super reverb)?

Ultimate tone for me would be a SuperVerb pushing the EV-10's but with more harmonics further into the cleans.

Any thoughts?

-JA

2. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

I have a mazerati, a maz 18, getting ready to purchase a z28 and possibly a prescription extra strength and they are the real deal. all sound incredible. I've played a maz 38, and it sounds great, I would suggest unless your needing all that volume to just get the maz 18 with the master your on the edge of break up and its pretty loud, but not overpowering for a show. Dr Z amps are legit, the real deal and the best amps i've played for the price.

Evan

3. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

And yes i've also played a kt45, route 66 and carmen ghia, the only amp i didn't really care for was the ghia, a bit ice pick for my ears, but the route and the kt45 sounded better than clips

4. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

THey sound better than the clips.

5. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

6. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    +1

:cool:

7. redjet55

redjet55 Member

I’ve not played a maz 38 but I have seen buddy with mayall twice up close and he makes the 38 sound killer!

8. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Member

which one would you recomend trying if you want some headroom

9. martins3325

martins3325 Supporting Member

I really never heard all the clips your referring to, but recently heard a KT45..great amp! Probably one of the best bang for buck "boutiquey" amps out there. Was very impressed. Just a great classic rock sound to me. I immediately thought of Joe Walsh. Who I always thought was underated in getting some all-time best rock tones.

10. teleking36

teleking36 Member

Proud owner of a Dr. Z Prescription Extra Strength here. Quite possibly the most muscle I've ever heard out of an EL84 amp. While I look for that chimey, jangly sound characteristic of EL84s, I find myself easily sliding into thick bluesy territory with this beast. My main axe is a tele loaded with nocaster pickups, but I played a friend's american deluxe strat thru this and changed the EQ a little bit, and I had the strat singing!

Z says it's a cross between a Dumble and an AC30. With no experience in the dumble dept., i can honestly say this amp sounds like a jacked up AC30, with plenty of headroom when you need it, and balls big enough to carry you into zeppelin territory.

11. iggs

iggs Member

+100 ... my Route 66 at least ... ;)

12. Telephile

Telephile Member

I've been gigging and recording with a 212 Maz 38 for about 3 years now. It is one of my all time favorite amps. To me my 212 is like a beefed up BFDR and an AC30.
    I imagine with a 410 cab it would get you to Super reverb land but with way more harmonic content and touch sensitivity. If you like BF fenders and Vox you'll like the Maz 38.

13. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I've had a Carmen Ghia for 6 years- it's fantastic!

14. TDavis

TDavis Member

+1 for Dr.Z...and all of the comments above. I've been wanting to try a Carman Ghia,..so I don't know about the ice-pick in ear reference. I do the house gig thing and both my KT-45 and RxES excel. We tend to play loud and this club holds about 300 people at capacity, and I don't lack for volume or tone. IMHO, Dr.Z amps are the best bang for the buck amps "out there"!

15. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I think it takes a few minutes of playing with the tone control on the Ghia to get it "focused" on your guitar's sound. Not that it's hard to dial in at all, but it's just very different from other tone controls. It's like a backwards wah pot.

I'd be curious to read what guitar/effects were used with it to make it sound ice-picky. It cuts really well, but with great low end and I find guitar to be a midrangey instrument. A treble boost actually seems to make the top end smoother when the amp is overdriven... great sound for the ghia!

16. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Make that +101

:AOK

17. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

+1 here

18. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

Ok, I've done the thinking.

I can get my hands on a 410 cab with Ev's

Any clue what a Maz 38 head will run me?

-Jon

19. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

...i paid 1200 for a barely used Maz 38 head with verb and effects loop....i think the original cost was 1600.00....it was the sixth Z that i bought in a little over a year (i was just checking out as many as i could before deciding on one)...its a very versatile amp with minimal tweaking....speaker selection makes it a lot of fun...i've put together several cabs for mixing and matching speakers...my current faves are a G12H30 and a 30 watt ceramic Blue Dog....still haven't dropped the dime on a Blue cause i'm waiting for the reports to come in on the long awaited Celestion Gold....

20. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

i currently own, gig and record with a maz 18. used to have a head maz 38 that really was a pre-prescription. played a mazarati at a gig. all had their own voice, but not a bad sound in any. i don't think there is much more headroom or volume out of the 38 w amps. i love them.