1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Dr. 'Z' Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jackaroe, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Jackaroe

Jackaroe Member

Anyone familiar with theses amps, specifically the Maz 38 Sr.? :confused:

2. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

You'll probably benefit from doing a couple of searches on this forum. They've been discussed around here a lot, and many player have them. Good luck!

3. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Go to the Z Forums, lots of owners to talk to there!

There's a link right on the homepage of Dr Z's site:

http://www.drzamps.com

4. Jackaroe

Jackaroe Member

Thanks guys, I'm new to GP, must have been using search function wrong, I kept coming up with "No Matches Found" etc.

5. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Listen to any John Mayall recording or concert of the last six or so years. Buddy Whittingham gets a great tone out of the Maz 38.

6. marshallnoise

marshallnoise Member

Dr. Z is a genious. The Maz Jr. is my favorite of his amps.

7. Jackaroe

Jackaroe Member

that did the trick, thanks much:)

8. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

You can also try searching for "Carmen Ghia", "Route 66", "Mazerati", etc

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I've had a carmen ghia for 6 years that's just great.

10. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I've been a vintage Fender guy for years. My first Dr. Z was a Carmen ghia; I swear it must have reproduced because now there is a Mazerati, Maz 18 Jr. and a Prescription ES in my studio!
    The Fenders are now MIA.

11. Jackaroe

Jackaroe Member

That's very interesting to me that you were a Fender man, I have an old blackface Pro Reverb that is great, but has some limitations etc. and also a 65' Twin Reissue that I'm looking to sell. I was starting to get the impression that 'Z' amps were more for the the Marshall or Vox than for Fender lovers.

12. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Be carefull if you play near a lot of CB radio users. Owned a Maz 38 for two days luckily Clay took care of me. The Dr wouldn't.

13. Jackaroe

Jackaroe Member

:confused: U mean You had problems w/ the 38 and they wouldn't help you out?

14. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I mostly play telecasters although I do own and on occasion gig with a strat, 335, LP,and a Hamer Monaco.
    I initially dug the Dr.Z's for the tele tone they deliver. Better and tighter low end and great spank. Just more focused than the Fenders. Every guitar I plug into my Dr. Z's just seems to become part of the amp and tone chain rather than a guitar plugged ito an amp.

The Fender amps I had were a '65 Pro reverb, '66 Deluxe reverb, I also had a Marshall JTM 45 and a Vox AC30. The Marshall and Vox were a bit "darker" than the Z's and did not have a tighter low end.

15. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Exactly. Clay made good on it for me. I ordered it new through Charleys Guitars, I was playing about a mile from a truck stop and started getting CB reception though the amp (I disconnected the guitar, tried a different cable. with nothing plugged into the amp, I could use the reverb control as a volume control for the CB reception). I emailed Mike, he reponded saying to tighten the chassis bolts, I still had CB reception, I called him up and he aksed if I was near a tower, when I told him I was about a mile from a large truckstop, he said there was nothing he could do. I took it back to Charleys and told Clay what the Dr said, he called Mike and was told the same thing, Clay shook his head and refunded my money. I had a Mazerrati, but it didn't pick up the CB's. I think the problem is only in the Maz 38 reverb circuit, Z knows about it, I have seen one other review on HC with a similar complaint. Other than that the amp sounded great, but.

16. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

I've jammed with a band with the MAZ JR...really cuts through, the band members seemed to like the amp as well...the master is great to add some dirt...run it through a 2x12 cab and you can get fairly big sound too, the 18 to me was plenty loud and all I needed, and yes, you can dial in a bunch of sounds...I'm a fan of the Z stuff.

I felt the amp was better for lead than chords actually, that's why Paisley is good with them.....if that means anything, I'm a jammer, so it worked great. I sold it to a friend to buy am AC30 Clone however. Give one a shot, they have good resale. I'll probably buy another one down the road in head form now that I have a good 2x12 cab. Too old to lug the combos around.

Johnny

17. Calloway

Calloway Member

Maz 38's are probably my favorite amps in the Dr. Z line. I love the master volume on them, really works nicely with the amp, and the reverb sounds great. I would love to own one of these amps some day.

18. Fred McMurray

Fred McMurray Member

I've got a Maz 18 Jr 210 combo amp plus a Carmen Ghia head which powers a small leslie; these are excellent amps for recording or live work in clubs! I went through numerous amps - Fender, Marshall, Mesa, Rivera, Budda - before I hunkered down with these 2 Z's about 3-4 years ago. Everything else got the gate, these are the only ones left in the stable. Zero issues, at my busiest they were doing about 50 live gigs a year, plus studio and home use. For tubes, I tend to go with the JJ EL84s. I use a Lehle Dual pedal to split my signal. These amps are great with single coils, but they positively scrrrream with the right humbucker-equipped axes. VERY pedal-friendly too, and I have never had an easier time getting an amp to sit "just right" in the mix and still sound loud, complex, and fat without overpowering any of the wrong frequencies.

19. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I use the JJ EL84s as well. Fred, what kind of small Leslie do you have? I have the 120 model, kind of like a wooden Fender Vibratone- no amp inside makes it great for using with guitar amps, it was slightly modded to have an 8 ohm jack on the back. I run a Fender Champ II into it (with a WeberVST C12CA JBL clone) alongside the Carmen Ghia and 1x12" cab.

20. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

oh man ill bet that sounds awesome!!!

also, FWIW, i have a MAZ38 and it kills! love that amp!