Dr Z battles Top hat?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JackButler, Mar 12, 2006.

1. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Hey everyone, possibly you can chime in with some info...
    I am kinda looking for another combo, probably a 1-12". I used ot have a Z 28 and loved it, sold it awhile back. I have played the many Z's and think I would purchase either a Maz Jr or Sr. But before I do, I need soem scoop on Top Hat amps just to be sure.
    I mainly play heavy Blues, some Classic Rock for this amp. Love the huge fat Fenderish type clean with lot sof lowend, and also dig the Plexi spank. I guess I would consider the Club series, as it is in my price range, not really but what is:rolleyes:
    Also, any other killer amps to consider, looking for something I can pick up used $900-$1300 and both of the above do fall in there.

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I've owned a Z28 and Maz Jr non-reverb and all the Club Series TopHats. The Zs are more Fenderish......the TopHats are more Voxy-Marshally. The Zs are a little more 'lean' the THs are a little more 'rich'.

So it depends on what you're after.....

3. sicktone

sicktone Member

I have both a Ghia and a Z-28. I've owned or have friends that own many Top Hats. That said, I would look heavily into the Top Hat Super Deluxe. It's a 6L6 (takes other tubes as well) amp that would fit the bill based on your needs. The Club Deluxe is very cool, but can't get you into "plexi" territory the Club Royale is close and great, but might not have the juice you're looking for here.

Check out the Guitar Player review on the Super Deluxe.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?storycode=11767

Best of luck on your quest!

4. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I had a Top Hat Royale Great amp lots of crunch good cleans, nice OD. I've got a Dr.Z maz jr. another gret amp, better cleans, good reverb, loves pedals and Strats, can grind with humbuckers. The Z just does what it does very well. Kind of fenmarvox, little piece of each, depending what you place infront of it. I have a pristeen example available if intrested.

5. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

They are all good. For a little more cabbage you can get into the Bad Cat word. You wont regret it. Between the two I think Tophat has a better build quality overall.

6. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

HEY SSS^^^^^
    What do you know? LOL!
    Good advice.+1
    Go with the Top Hat, or cough up a little more for the Bad Cat as mentioned.

7. JackButler

thsi will be a "second" amp for me, not my main player, so I am pretty much set on one of the two mentioned above. I apprecite all the info, please keep it coming guys!
    LCJ, PM me with info bro.
    I guess I should have stated, I am looking for the big clean tone, as I love to stack peds to get my dirty stuff happening.
    Thanks man

8. B Vance

B Vance Member

What type of guitar are you using?

As said prior, Dr. Z are much brighter amps than Top Hats. It's tough for me to pick between them though because they both do what it is they do so well. Considering this is going to be your #2, I'd pick something that is at a good price point, and is reliable. Because the Z's are a bit cheaper than the Top Hats, and they are both more than adequate amps, I'd be more inclined to go with a Z.

9. JackButler

Exactyl kinda what I was thinking Vance. I have tosn of guitars, primarily I play a strat, LP about 30% of the time.
    Ok, would the Maz Jr with a single 12" be loud enough for clubbing, I always mic. Or should I look into the 38?

10. B Vance

B Vance Member

The other guitar player I play with in the band plays a Maz Jr. 2x12 NR. It gigs really well. The 2x12 cab creates a lot of 3d therefore no reverb is really necessary. Not too sure about the 1x12 though. I have played a 1x12, but not a club volume. For a reference, his Jr. fill our church which typically has between 1,800 and 2,200 people per Sunday no problem at all with plenty of volume left to go. It mics up really well too.

11. tiptone

tiptone Silver Supporting Member

I've got a Z-28 head right now and had a Club Deluxe 1x12 for a couple of years. I agree with riff that the Z does a more 'Fender' tone while the TH centers more around 'Vox/Marshall'. Since you've said you're looking for big clean that takes pedals well I'd say the Z is a better match. My Club Deluxe didn't really like my TS9 and the Z28 just eats up anything I throw at it.

12. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I've owned a few of each but preferred the MAZ Sr over all the TH amps I owned. The Ambassador was a nice amp, though.

13. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

The maz 18 is way loud enough for giging, even unmiked in some clubs. Mines a 2x10, Ive always prefed multiple drivers, same concept as multi valve engines more area in relitively same space. the jr. is cappable of more bite than the sr. PMed you

14. JackButler

Ok, any ideas how a Maz Jr head would take to a 4-12" cab? I used one with my Z 28 and it sounded great.

15. myles111

myles111 Member

My Top Hat Royal is a nice amp but it is squarely in the Vox camp.

I think in the end it will boil down to personal taste and preference.

16. ahab

ahab Member

I have never been partial to the Dr.z amps that I have played. Something about the attack rubs me the wrong way and to my ear seems to lack a midrange texture that I have come to love from my Club Royale. I am not digging on the Z stuff and I have certainly heard several people get some fantastic tones out of them, but for my playing the Top Hat is perfect. But then I have never been much of a fender guy, for me it has always been marshall and vox tones that get me going.
    -Ahab

17. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

TopHat Club Royale, I have not played an amp that is as versitile or as dynamic as the CR in it's price range!

Joe

18. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

That's an understatement, imho.

19. sicktone

sicktone Member

I miss my CR quite a bit but it didn't really do the Marshall-thing.

Another amp to check out would be the Dr. Z 6545. Amazing deal. I think retail is $1799 for true ptp channel switcher.

Oh yes, it wil CRUNCH:dude

20. JackButler

Yeah, it's certainly on my list! I think the shop i would order a new one from has one coming fairly soon!

Man, I sure wish there was a TH dealer soemwhere fairly close!