• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Dr. Z Cure - Z-Lux Jr.

Bandersnatch

if they had kept at least the quad 6v6 i'd be interested the Fender SS 22 way moe bang for less bucks

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
Not really the same marketplace as the fender supersonic22.

Yeah, I'll probably be buying one of these. I've been on the hunt for another deluxe amalgamation for a while and the Zlux was on the short list- never use amp trem - I can put reverb in the loop. Killer!

Root5150

In Denial
I just bought a Z-Lux a few weeks ago. I love it so far, but I like clean headroom so I'd still prefer it over the Cure probably. But I've become a believer in Dr Z in the past year. This looks really interesting

aaronblues

Silver Supporting Member
That's an absurdly great price. Can't think of another boutique brand that hits 20 watts for that price for a combo. Hell, even a Ghia combo costs more!!
Will buy.

cheers

Faded

Silver Supporting Member
I knew there had to be a catch at that price.

The third party transformers are that catch.

I'll reserve judgement on the sound, but for the price it seems decent.

DR.Z

Double Platinum Member
I knew there had to be a catch at that price.

The third party transformers are that catch.

I'll reserve judgement on the sound, but for the price it seems decent.

Third Party Transformer what?
Triad contacted me wanting to return to the guitar amp business.
I told them what I wanted and they built a wonderful sounding Output transformer built old style, wound on a stick, paper bobbin.
As you know Triad built all the Transformers for the Fender Tweed amps, as well as many other manufactures.

These trannies are build in the US, and are excellent iron, if I do say so myself.
Lets not start internet rumors Faded, Power Transformer are my tried and true Heyboer units.

DR.Z

Faded

Silver Supporting Member
Not trying to start rumors. I haven't said anything that isn't confirmed above. Seemed like a catch when many other amp builders do turn to companies other than their normal partners to make more budget friendly amps i.e. the Judah from BadCat.

Perhaps it is unfair to judge this offering in that light.

The explanation is welcome and I look forward to hearing the amp in person, I am sure it's great like every other Z amp.

Last edited:

cap217

Dr Z doesnt wind his own transformers so how is this 3rd party (Triad) different than his other brand transformers that he has used over the years? Im excited about Triad transformers actually and what difference they would make in other amps.

I told them what I wanted and they built a wonderful sounding Output transformer built old style, wound on a stick, paper bobbin.
As you know Triad built all the Transformers for the Fender Tweed amps, as well as many other manufactures.

These trannies are build in the US, and are excellent iron, if I do say so myself.
Lets not start internet rumors Faded, Power Transformer are my tried and true Heyboer units.

DR.Z
Slightly off topics... but, as a customer -- a builder who takes the time to read/respond on forums like this deserves a huge pat on the back. This is customer service above & beyond. Often we read about companies who won't even reply to messages/phone calls. Dr. Z is as forthcoming and bold as is his amps tones!!! :beer

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
How does the master volume versus output control work on a 1-channel amp? Are they two types of master volumes?

paddywhack

Gold Supporting Member
...the master/volume adjusts the amount of drive....the output (which is called level in this case) sets the overall volume...

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
...the master/volume adjusts the amount of drive....the output (which is called level in this case) sets the overall volume...
Yes, I read the same description and downloaded the user manual, which is why I asked the question. Perhaps the master is before the effects loopor the level is a wattage (voltage) control? I want to know more specifically how it works and how they might interact.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom