Dr. Z DB4 demo by Dave Baker & DB4/Z-Wreck comparison

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabinets Demo Videos and Soundclips' started by Juan, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Juan

Juan Member

Great DB4 demo by Dave Baker. Plus A/B comparison with a Z-Wreck.

You can read more about the DB4 here:
    http://drzamps.com/product/db4/

The DB4 is the fourth collaboration between Dr. Z and Brad Paisley (hence the name DB4: Doc & Brad’s fourth amp design). Brad asked for a rich and warm sounding British-voiced amp. I started with a clean sheet of paper.

The input of the amp uses a 5879 U.S. made pentode preamp tube. This was the tube selected by Les Paul to be used in his Gibson GA-40 Les Paul amp. The full-bodied silky tones of the 5879 are then driven into a rotatory frequency filter. This control selects between jangly brilliance to deep and full resonant tones and everything in between. To help fine adjust the hue of delivered frequency to the four EL84 output tubes is a cut control. Think of this as a tone control for your output tubes.

This original amp design has its own voice, one that doesn’t sound like any EL84 amp you have ever heard. It will be offered as a head, 1×12 “Classic-Lite” combo loaded with a Celestion Alnico Gold, and 2×12 “Bluesbreaker” combo loaded with two Celestion Alnico Blue speakers.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    blustrat likes this.
  2. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

Sounds great, but it's kind of funny; I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks the Z-wreck kind of kicked the DB4's butt.

redshark1105 likes this.
  3. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

I really liked the sound of the DB4 in the beginning of the video when it was by itself , but when it went up against the Zwreck, I found I liked the Zwreck more for sure.

4. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I'd like to hear both of them in a mix - the DB4 definitely has more of a low mid push.

5. ECHaydo

ECHaydo Member

To my ears the Z Wreck is brighter for sure but there's a lot of rich low mids in the DB4 that compliment the tele really really well. If you go for the head and get a Alnico gold blue combo....oh savior...... that'd be absolutely killer!!! I love the Z Wreck but it's the DB4 for me in the shootout.

6. aroman

aroman Member

If you want to sell and Amp do NOT compare it with the Z Wreck !

7. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

Thats a big 10-4.

8. schristie

schristie Supporting Member

Man, I thought they both sounded fantastic......if money were no object that would be a great pair of amps to run together FO SHO !!!