Dr. Z incredible

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rhythmark, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Smashies

Smashies Silver Supporting Member

Love Dr. Z. The first tube amp I owned was a Maz 18 NR combo with a blue in it. I felt spoiled. I now have a Z-Wreck combo, but soon I hope to do a head/cab config with the Z-Wreck because I love it so much.

FWIW, I don't play country music--the Z-Wreck is NOT a "country only" amp!

2. MattC

MattC Member

I am really kicking myself at not taking my first Z plunge when I had a good chance to do so. My local GC had a used Cure priced very reasonably. I played it and loved it, and of course, thought about it for a while. Somebody snatched it up a week or so later just as I was getting ready to go out and give it a second spin, which, I’m pretty confident would’ve led to a purchase.

rhythmark likes this.
  3. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

I've had 10+ Zs... they're incredible tools which sit in a mix VERY well.
    That said... they are NOT for everyone. I love them but the report I get back is *unforgiving.* I think this is more the fast attack and less sag- which, I personally love.

My two stangrays in stereo was a wild experience.
    I toured a maz18 for 5 years without so much as one set of powertubes.
    2 38s. Two route 66s...absolutely wonderful amps.
    maz 38,
    5 CGs... Recording miracles.
    a remedy...
    2 monzas... hmmm
    They're wonderful. I'd love a EZG50 here pretty quick.

jazzsnds and PerryR like this.
  4. japanmoran

japanmoran Member

2002. I had a think for Dr. Z...
    [​IMG]

Still have the Z28 head...the others have moved on, but man I wish I had kept that Carmen Ghia with the green and vox cloth.

QRSS, mr.soul, MattH and 1 other person like this.
  5. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Supporting Member

The snow of Cleveland Ohio and sun of Daytona Bch
    A Dr Z amp will expose crap guitar playing faster that a . . . well you get the point - and as stated may not be for everyone. It’s kind of the way it is but then when you understand that it’s you, a guitar and an amp to make some music, it kicks you in the butt and makes you care a little more about the little things you’re doing, creates some refinement in your playing. In the end it’s worth it.

QRSS and mr.soul like this.
  6. 5cr33nager

5cr33nager Member

7. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Carmen Ghia has been my main amp for close to 20 years now.

8. bigben55

bigben55 Member

Z28, the only amp I've bought, sold the re-bought. It's one of the few amps I've found that's both an amazing pedal platform AND a plug straight into it cranked and ride the guitar volume. The Z Brake Lite is essential though. I prefer it with single coils: strat with pedals or P90s straight in.

Like most other Zs I've played, it's just a simple, honest, no nonsense tone machine.

mr.soul, 5cr33nager and japanmoran like this.
  9. Scooter

Scooter Supporting Member

I've owned several Dr. Zs and I've owned several other amps from other builders and from the usual big name mass producers.

This business about a Dr. Z exposing bad playing is an internet myth. Z's are good amps, built well, and they do have a very direct and immediate tone with lots of harmonic content - but they don't expose bad playing any more than a $300 Blues Junior does.

10. rhythmark

rhythmark Member

Oh yeah!
    Id like to point out as well that ive had many z amps, and each model has something different to offer.
    Like the carmen ghia i had wasnt for me.
    But the Cure was!! And the zlux!
    The wreck is fabulous!!
    And price wise you are getting a deal especially used prices cant be beat for the amp you get and the support!!!
    Two rocks are no better of an amp but double the price or more .
    Both w hand wired goodness!!
    I have a two rock too and a 64 super reverb!!
    All different flavors of sonic ice cream!!
    But for boutique amps zs are affordable.

11. ROKY

ROKY Member

A KT-45 is still on my short list... and that recent custom shop AC100 head he builds .

rawkguitarist likes this.
  12. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

When I was most active gigging I used a Z28. I can’t say I’ve played a better amp, just different. That thing had a lot of hours from me & went to a friend. It’s still getting heavy use & I bought it circa 2000.

Faze likes this.
  13. alex mansman

alex mansman Member

Owned a Maz 38, Stang Ray, EZG50, Z Wreck, and EMS in that order over the course of about 5 years.

Every single one of these amps was as amazing as they come. I only switched amps because of discovering different needs and wants of the bands I was in. Now my needs are so diverse I went with the Headrush Pedalboard.

If I go back to tube amps, I'm gunning straight for another EMS!

14. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I had a Maz 18 that I loved, so when I had a chance at a decent deal on a Z Lux, I decided to give it a shot. I gigged with it on Friday and it was insanely bright. I had to have the treble pot practically off to avoid the icepick in my ear, and I like bright amps. I read it shares the same preamp as the Maz, but I don’t think it broke up quite as nicely as my old Maz did.

Not sure what to think, yet. Maybe some different preamp tubes. I really don’t want to go down the speaker rabbit hole.

15. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

Or any amp. I've played a bunch of amps listed as "unforgiving" in that they'll "expose your sloppy playing". Um, no. Your playing exposes your sloppy playing.

This is an internet forum myth designed to make owners of these supposed "unforgiving" amps feel superior about their gear choices because it must mean they don't have sloppy playing if they find the amp acceptable. Total hogwash.

16. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

Oh man, I wish this was discussed more. I can't stand this sort of thing. I've played a ton of amps that people constantly said this about, and walked away, "Huh - I mean, it sounds good, but my playing mostly sounded the same"

It's a load of cork-sniffing nonsense.

LordByron, coldengray and Scooter like this.
  17. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Voice of reason... weird how there is a sudden, massive influx of Z related threads/posts in the last week or so.

18. skinvoyager

skinvoyager Supporting Member

I agree to a point, but I will say some Dr. Z amps I have owned just feel a little tight and brittle...maybe not enough sag...and that feel does change the way I play. I own an M12, which loves OD pedals. I tried the same pedals through a friend's Cure, and it just sounded strident. I simply play better through the M12, and I can only attribute that to the feel of the amp. I don't think the amp revealed anything, but the feel changed the way I play.

Karl Houseknecht likes this.
  19. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

That's usually how it works. Hell, I see how that works just on an individual level. Someone mentions their X or Y brand amp and how much they love it, and suddenly I'm looking up multiple threads about that company as to fuel my GAS. It definitely makes sense. :)

japanmoran likes this.
  20. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

I get where you're coming from with that. But it doesn't expose poor playing. It just changes the way you interact with the amp. Maybe if you're inexperienced on a platform that provides that sort of feel your playing might be a little off until you adjust. But that's different from "exposes sloppy playing".

LordByron and skinvoyager like this.