Dr Z Maz 18... How good is the master volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by EvilNat, May 14, 2008.

1. EvilNat

EvilNat Member

How good is the master volume on the Maz 18 non-reverb?

I have had my eye on one of these for a while now, but I mostly play at home at low levels...

2. bilbal

bilbal Member

I have had two Maz38s and both were great amps. I was injured and spending most of my time playing at home, alone. I only went into the studio very rarely. I found them to be incredible for both. Don't let Dr. Zs 18 watts fool you - they friggin LOUD!!!! That said I was able to completely enjoy all the tone the amp could give me in my home. Dr. Z makes a great amp - you will not be disappointed.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Bill

3. EvilNat

EvilNat Member

can you still get some nice tube saturation at low levels with the master volume low? I have read some posts here about people using attenuators with the maz18...

4. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

I found the same thing with my maz38 as I did with a maz18 -I found a sweet spot I liked and used an attenuator to adjust the volume. Mind you that sweet spot was around 7 on the master volume -which is loud even on an 18. You can dial in grind with the pre volume up and the master down but my fav was with both around 7.

I think you'll dig it, you can find used ones for really good prices here and on the bay.

5. bilbal

bilbal Member

Yup - I agree. I also found that the MazSrs sounded incredible with the master decked and the pre volume used as the overall volume control. I could not believe how the amp changed when I was told to try it. Talk about bass bloom!!! It was a completely different amp. I am not saying that as a cliche either - it was a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AMPLIFIER when set that way. I need another Dr. Z man!!! I miss them. Someday, after I get my Quinn SDO here, I will start thinking about more Zs. First things first though LOL!!!

6. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

fwiw, I find the Maz Jr NR to be a pretty loud amp to play at home although the master volume is very good IMHO. The amp is also really versatile. there is a great list of settings for the Maz Jr that you can get over at the Dr Z forum (think that is where I got them) and you can really dial in Fendery, Voxy and Marshally sounds...I usually use a Dr Z Airbrake with the Maz Jr just to take the edge off a bit. If you just use an Airbrake on the first few clicks, the tone is not ruined and the volume becomes much more manageable for me. It is all obviously quite subjective what you think is too loud for a home setting...I live in a house and play in a finished basement and the neighbors are not right next to the house and so I can play as loud as I want...it would certainly not be a good amp for an apartment, I would think. It does take pedals really well as well.
    The Maz Jr NR is a great amp but it does like to be turned up as loud as you can manage it.

7. tonecrazy

tonecrazy Supporting Member

Loud for the goods. Use an attenuator.

8. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

The master is good, but there's not much preamp gain, so you're not gonna' get saturated, singing lead tones at bedroom volumes. The Maz 18 is a VERY loud amp with tons of clean headroom...MUCH more clean headroom than my Badger or Accomplice. But, I've always used my Maz 18 as a pedal platform and, for that purpose, the master is excellent. Still, even with pedals, I find I get a better feel out of the amp with the Volume at 12:00 and the master around 9:00-10:00. At that level, the straight amp tone is still clean (with SCs), but you're a lot closer to getting power amp compression, so when pedals are kicked in (with greater than unity level), both the preamp and power amp compress and that's the sweet spot! But, that output level is to loud for most of my gigs. I tried a few attenuators (Air Brake, MASS, Power Brake, etc) and they all sucked too much tone.

9. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

BTW, I've found the Badger solves this problem with the power scaling feature. You can easily set the preamp and power amp to just below clipping at any output level. Then, the limiting factors are the transformer and speakers, but at least you keep your tone for a few extra dBs on the way down!