Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr NR Master Volume

srmd22

Just an observation and question. I picked up a used Maz 18 Jr a few months back from a friend in town, head and little 210 cab - it's the little skinny 210, think it has some fairly beefy Weber's in it, iirc.

Anyway, since I got it, I have been using it with the MV cranked past noon up to around 3 to 5 o'clock, and increasing the volume to fit the room. The rehearsal space is small, so that means the volume is low, only around 9:00.

Well, last night, just to experiment, I turned off the MV and cranked the volume nearly all the way, and then titrated up the MV, with my guitar volume controls at about 6 or 7. Was playing an R9. Was able to get a very nice clean/edge of breakup tone, and when I cranked the vol knob on the guitar, it blossomed into a really beautiful Marshall-y (to my ears) distortion. I was actually quite surprised. I thought the Maz Jr's were sort of clean pedal platforms (which is how I had been using mine) with a kind of Vox-y feel. I had no idea you could get a Marshall (a plexi version, at that) sound out of one. It is volume dependant, because in a larger club, I would have to turn the MV up more, and might lose some of that creamy distortion - but I would just boost it with a pedal in that case.

So the question is, does anyone else use the amp set this way? Like I said, I hear all kinds of talk about the clean Vox-y, or sometimes Fendery style of settings, but this is new to me.

Thanks!

Dave_C

I have always set up my Jr NR for a clean tone that's on the verge of breaking up (either with the Powewr Station or with the MV) and then whack it with OD pedals. BUTT, I have also experimented - in ways similar to yours above - with cranking it (with the Power Station) to get some pretty gainy, smooth lead tones and crunch. It can be dialed in for almost anything. Extremely versatile amp.

Last edited:

PremiumPlus

You can get a lot of different voices out of a Maz. The Maz 18 is Z's best selling amp and there's good reason for that. I use my little Maz 8 for everything from jazz to hard blues and classic rock, no pedals required. Boost it with a clean booster like an RC booster or hit it with something hard like a Bogner Ecstacy Red and look out, cause they rock! I love my Maz 8, it makes me smile when I plug in.

srmd22

Maz 8 would be fun to play with for sure - probably would be enough volume for 80 or 90% of what I do anyway.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
The mids knob has a huge range that you can use to get from Vox to Marshall to even a scooped Fender sorta not really because the treble is still el84 instead of glassy 6v6/6L6.

Gain wise, with the pre down and the master up a bit it can do some voxy stuff. Turning up the volume/preamp gain engages a more marshall style gain sound for sure.

You can use a Maz as a cleanish pedal platform (I do!), but for recording it does incredible vox and marshall approximations. Live I'd rather keep it clean for pedals and somewhere between vox and marshall mid wise. Split the difference and keep it clean. But that doesn't mean thats how you need to roll... the Z mazjr nr covers an insane amount of ground.

draelyc

Gold Supporting Member
Just an observation and question. I picked up a used Maz 18 Jr a few months back from a friend in town, head and little 210 cab - it's the little skinny 210, think it has some fairly beefy Weber's in it, iirc.

Anyway, since I got it, I have been using it with the MV cranked past noon up to around 3 to 5 o'clock, and increasing the volume to fit the room. The rehearsal space is small, so that means the volume is low, only around 9:00.

Well, last night, just to experiment, I turned off the MV and cranked the volume nearly all the way, and then titrated up the MV, with my guitar volume controls at about 6 or 7. Was playing an R9. Was able to get a very nice clean/edge of breakup tone, and when I cranked the vol knob on the guitar, it blossomed into a really beautiful Marshall-y (to my ears) distortion. I was actually quite surprised. I thought the Maz Jr's were sort of clean pedal platforms (which is how I had been using mine) with a kind of Vox-y feel. I had no idea you could get a Marshall (a plexi version, at that) sound out of one. It is volume dependant, because in a larger club, I would have to turn the MV up more, and might lose some of that creamy distortion - but I would just boost it with a pedal in that case.

So the question is, does anyone else use the amp set this way? Like I said, I hear all kinds of talk about the clean Vox-y, or sometimes Fendery style of settings, but this is new to me.

Thanks!
When I had one, that's pretty much the only way I ran it. I liked the amp's overdrive better than any pedal I ran with it set cleanish. I just rolled back the guitar's volume for cleans. :aok

srmd22

Nice - it's like X-mas all over again, finding this great new (to me) setting on my Maz Jr!

Eric Porter

I am currently shopping, and although I have not had a chance to try one yet (next week I will be heading to the store), the Dr. Z Maz 18 NR is at the top of my list. Loving the demos on youtube, and luckily my local store carries Dr. Z, can't wait to plug in.

Trending Topics