DR Z MAZ 18 Jr NR vs Goodsell Super 17 head models

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by playthecray, Dec 20, 2009.

1. playthecray

playthecray Member

Just looking to reopen an older thread and seek additional opinions from folks that are familiar with both amps. At the moment, most of my playing is done in the home. I play rock and blues.

2. tonesurfer

tonesurfer Senior Member

IMO the Goodsell smokes it.

3. playthecray

playthecray Member

4. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

I've gigged the Super 17 MkII head for about a year, and it is an amazing little amp...lots of headroom for a dual el84, but also roars if you knock the gain up. Simple, yet one of the most toneful el84 amps I've ever played...which includes BadCat, Trace Elliot, Traynor, Gibson, Fender, Bruno, VHT, Kingsley, and yes I had a Maz 18 (but with reverb) several years ago and sold it fairly quickly. The closest thing to the Goodsell was my Kingsley Deluxe 30 on half power with the tone stack bypassed...

5. playthecray

playthecray Member

6. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

A BIG +1 on the Super 17. I have a 2006 Mk 2 w/ a one off "custom ruff wood" tolex cab (pre-BB style w/ a G12H, and modded by Richard last summer to include his trem and the 5/17 watt switch), and it sounds just so amazing! Lots of headroom for a 17 watt amp. Goes from a tweed-ish vibe w/ some Voxy chimey to Brit grind, and so super simple
    to use and so frickin' toneful.

I owned a Dr. Z CG for a short while just before buying the Goodsell, and also have used the Maz Jr. a bunch @ a couple rehearsal space in nyc, and I totally agree w/ boomarangmike... it totally smokes the Maz. It has a real vintage vibe w/ lots of touch sensitivity and personality, it loves pedal, and sounds totally amazing just plugged straight in. Where as the CG sounded cool, but broke up way to early for me, and the Maz sounded alright but kinda sterile and felt really stiff.
    Good luck w/ the tone search!

[​IMG]

7. mkg

mkg Member

John, I've got the same pre-BB style cab, and the same gold 3-knob chassis, except my cab is covered with black tolex. I like the ruff wood tolex, very cool.
    I like the big cab, mainly because I can set my pedalboard right on top and not worry about blocking a vent.
    I wonder if the big cab gives our amps any advantage as far as projection and low end response?
    Whatever the case, I don't see myself ever letting this one go.

8. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

Hey mkg,

Very cool. That's an older picture before RG put in the 5/17 switch & trem controls (in back), and added the power switch to the front. Yeah, I totally love the "ruff wood" tolex! @ first sighting via some not so good pictures, I really wasn't sure, as I had my mind's eye on the dark green he used to offer, but @ the time (just before he switched cab styles) he only had black, red and my one off in stock. Richard said if for any reason I wasn't totally into the cab, he would replace it w/ a black or red one on his dime?! He's got the best costumer service I've ever dealt with bare none! Not sure on the amount of low-end vs. the newer BB cab's, but it surely doesn't lack any! Plenty of thump in this beast... lovin' it and it's a total keeper!

9. mkg

mkg Member

Come to think of it, I guess the pre-BB and BB cabs are about the same size. I guess I was thinking of those cabs vs. the smaller Mk3 pine cabs.
    Probably not a noticeable difference, and if I didn't have this one I'd definitely have an Mk3.

playthecray, didn't mean to derail your thread!