Dr Z Maz 18. . . One of the Great all Time Amps ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Schlep, Mar 6, 2018.

Is the Dr Z Maz 18 one of the great all time amps ?

1. Yes

138 vote(s)
    65.7%
  2. No

72 vote(s)
    34.3%
  1. PerryR

PerryR Silver Supporting Member

The 1/2 power on the 38 watt involves switching from 4 to 2 el84’s. The Jr is already there with just 2 power tubes, and it requires a minimum of 2.

Dr Z is able to 1/2 power the Zplus with just 2 tubes because it is single ended, meaning it’s designed to run on just one tube, or 2 in parallel for more power. The MAZ18 is push/pull, requiring a pair (matched) to function properly. You can’t half power it in the same way as the MAZ38.

2. telelion

telelion Member

I think it is one of the greatest amps of all time for my use. The first time I played one many years ago i was floored. It was as described, a BF Fender with more aggressiveness. Still have it.

3. Greg Gibbs

Greg Gibbs Member

I doubt it. The half power switch cuts two of the 38’s 4 EL84s.

4. mistertwister

mistertwister Member

I would say it sure does deserve to be on said list. Great, versatile all around amp. Reliable, not too heavy and great tone. One of Doc's best selling amps. I have owned two of these through the years and I think they are great amps. Plus Doc's service is second to none. I had a fender at one point that was having serious issues and was brand new and tried getting in contact with whoever at fender and ended up just giving up. This will never happen with DrZ.

maddog53, Doug59 and PerryR like this.
  5. zpilot

zpilot Member

The original MAZ 18 is a great amp, but the new MK2 version is definitely"historically great". As with any amp the choice of speaker will determine if fits for a particular player. I'm rating this amp based on 50+ years of experience and having owned almost 100 different amps. Including most of the vintage classics that players consider "historic".

Teleplayer, 2tone and PerryR like this.
  6. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

The Maz 18 NR is my favorite amp of all time! If it had power scaling, it would be perfect for me. The only reason I don't have one right now is because it's too loud for my current needs. I really like my Suhr Badger 18 but I would give it up in a New York minute if the Maz wasn't so loud.

7. treedroppings

treedroppings Member

I played a Maz33 that I liked.

8. Vibroluxman

Vibroluxman Member

The new master volume is supposed to be great

PerryR and shredtrash like this.
  9. Jaguarguy

Jaguarguy Supporting Member

A Maz 33? did you mean Maz 38???

10. treedroppings

treedroppings Member

Yes, I think.

11. mnicholson2003

mnicholson2003 Member

I've been happy with mine for the last 10 years...haven't had any issues other than the usual tube wear. Great amp, LOUD, and can handle any situation. Loves pedals too!

12. strumminsix

strumminsix Supporting Member

After owning close to 30 amps over the years (vintage Fenders, Mesas, Marshalls) my Dr Ma Z 8 and Fargen DR style are all I own. Yup, know the 8 vs 18, not equal ,etc, but very similar!

So I'd say yes.

PerryR and Doug59 like this.
  13. saleake

saleake Member

I just got an MKII in the studio cabinet and it is Wow!

Doug59, PerryR and heynewguy like this.
  14. El Rey

El Rey Silver Supporting Member

15. maddog53

maddog53 Member

I enjoy playing my Maz 18 NR as much as any of my vintage "holy grail" amps. The Maz Jr has already become a classic! Put it on the list!!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    strumminsix, heynewguy and Doug59 like this.
  16. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Yes!!

I've owned almost every big name boutique amp maker that has a take on the AC30 circuit (not that the Maz 18 is all AC30 voiced): Bad Cat, TopHat, 65Amps, Gabriel, Valvetech, Morgan, Matchless, Dr. Z, JMI AC30, actual handwired Vox amps, and some I've forgotten.

While each has their flagship amp, the Maz 18 may not be Dr. Z's current flagship amp, (somebody say Z-Wreck?) but it's his best selling amp for a reason! It's clean, it's dirty, it's good at low volume, has great headroom (more-so than some 30w amps), good at loud volumes, has a GREAT clean tone, takes pedals well, and is somewhat evolving as time goes by (EQ bypass, Mk.II voicing, ect...).

It's the swiss-army knife of boutique amps and deserves a place in the "greatest amps of all time" IMHO.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    MattH, easyed, maddog53 and 4 others like this.
  17. Ogre

Ogre Member

Having owned one, and disposed of it quickly, I would say no.

Gasp100 and El Rey like this.
  18. Doug59

Doug59 Supporting Member

Try the Tone King Ironman II Mini attenuator. I am running my DR Z MAZ 18 NR with the Ironman it sounds great. It's also my understanding the MKII version has an updated master volume circuit that may correct your concern. You can also send your amp to DR Z and they will update it.

shredtrash, PerryR and maddog53 like this.
  19. Fast Frets

Fast Frets Member

It is certainly on MY list! I've played (and gigged) an 18 NR head with a combination of a Celestion Blue and G12H30. Glorious and bullet-proof. That amp has gotten more play than any others I own (including 3 mid 60's BFs). Lately she has gotten a bit less use because of a new Z-Plus, I also have (and love ) Dr Z's Prescription Jr. that is so sweet with a Ric 12 and a C Blue.

These amps sound great with a variety of guitars and pedals and have great feel when you play them.
    Highly recommended although YMMV.

heynewguy and PerryR like this.
  20. easyed

easyed Supporting Member

I got my MAZ Jr - reverb, 2x10 used off local craigslist. The Brakelite attenuator was included along with a cooling fan. The amp belonged to the music section of a prosperous church and had only left the building (head only) to return to Cleveland for "tune up" and revoicing to 2015 spec.

Some will say Mesa's (and others) are more versatile. My Mesa experience was not so happy and I unloaded the Studio .22 caliber amp in about a month, as I was not able to dial it in to a tone I liked.

The MAZ Jr is an entirely different amp. I can plug in any of my electric guitars - SSS, SS, HH (x2), HSH and dial it in within a few minutes. The build quality is exceptional and the engineering (sound) of the amp is equally good.

It's very loud for an amp rated at 18 Watts; all the clean headroom I need. For me, it sounds like a Fender when I roll back the cut knob to 9:00 or an AC15 when I turn that knob to 3:00. Some folks say Marshall tones are somewhere in-between, but I haven't spent much time with Marshalls to offer opinion on that.

They don't come cheap, but they are designed and hand-wired in the USA - and that counts for a lot IMO.

heynewguy likes this.