Dr. Z Maz 18 or Deluxe Reverb Reissue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MeMota, Mar 15, 2009.

1. MeMota

MeMota Member

Thanks guys.

I've now chucked a Tone King into the mix...... !

2. wire 247

wire 247 Member

The maz jr. is much better than the drri, but I would also check out a oldfield club series, they are amazing....

3. hardys

hardys Member

One thing that nobody has addressed here is that the Maz Jr. is a point-to-point, hand wired amp. :dunno The DRRI uses printed circuit boards and is mass produced. The MAZ is a better made amp BY FAR and I rarely read of anybody having problems with them. Dr. Z makes fairly bullet proof amps. I often hear of DRRI troubles. Do some research and you'll find out about DRRI issues. They aren't junk, but they don't compare to a good point-to-point build! Although the Jr. is rated at 18 watts, I've read that they generally bench out at 22 watts. I've never compared the MAZ side-by-side with a DRRI, but a MAZ Jr. can be one LOUD little amp, although the master can help a lot with getting some OD at lower levels.

Although the reissue is called a Deluxe Reverb, it doesn't sound like an old Blackface or good Silver Face. Comparatively, they are flat, one dimensional and have a brittle high end.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a Deluxe Reverb starts to fart out in the low end when you begin cranking it. The MAZ has a tighter, more controlled low end when cranked up. Dr. Z amps are famous for having tight, controlled bass. The MAZ is also a much more flexible amp, as it can do a pretty good Blackface imitation, Vox imitation and get some pretty good Marshall grind when used with humbuckers, or hotter single coils.

If you don't absolutely need reverb, go with a MAZ Jr. NR. I've had both verb & NR MAZ Jrs. and Srs. The NR models have more clarity, more punch, more complexity, less hiss & hum and more gain with the master. You also get a very nice FX loop. The verb models force the signal through an extra pre-amp tube, more circuitry and the reverb tank. All of this extra stuff in the signal path degrades the sound. Also, as mentioned earlier, the MAZ verb amps are known for picking up radio signals. Unlike the other poster, I had to put ferrite chokes on my reverb cables to eliminate RFI, as recommended by Dr. Z himself. Also, turning up the reverb can produce some hum...more than halfway and it can get pretty loud. For me, I'd rather not spend the $200.00 extra.

IMHO, DRRI isn't in the same league as a MAZ Jr. in tone, flexability, or build quality. Remember, it is NOT a real Blackface or Silverface.

Almost forgot...combo amps are rougher on tubes than a head/cab and I've had problems with buzz/rattles with the wire power tube retainers in MAZ combos. If I were to buy a MAZ Jr. again, I'd buy a NR head. Much cheaper, more flexable with speaker/cab choices, easier on tubes and less shipping costs from the U.S. I don't even have any Dr. Z amps currently, but they're great amps at VERY reasonable prices. Big bang for your buck! :RoCkIn
    Last but not least, pedals work great with the MAZ!!!!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  4. 19jmm68

19jmm68 Member

I'd go Maz HANDS DOWN. It has the master volume.......which'll take care of the volume issue. I preferred mine without pedels and liked the g12h30 the best.
    I liked my maz better than my 66 Deluxe Reverb. Much more sustain at lower volumes......I am talking about when the amp is clean.

when Doc designed the Maz..... he envisioned it as an amp that would intrest players that liked the deluxe reverb specifically. He told us this at z fest last year.
    Not so much in terms of identical tone (as its 84's vs 6v6's), but in terms of crankability and hitting the sweet spot at reasonable volumes.

I think the jr is one of the nicest amps, for the money, out there. Kills with a tele!

JMO

5. briankp7

briankp7 Supporting Member

I have the Maz Jr 2x10 with Reverb I also use with a 52 RI Tele. This is a match made in heaven in my opinion. I absolutely love it. I have the Dr Z Airbrake which is a good attenuator, but it is the only one I have experience with as well. It has 4 different settings plus a bedroom setting than is also adjustable. I can pretty much fully attenuate the amp and it doesn't really bother my wife too much at all. The Dr Z is much louder than the Deluxe so for at home use I would recommend some sort of attenuator. I do gig a bit with the Z but I also play alot at home and I love it, but like it has been said it is a loud amp so if you are only going to play at home you may also want to invest in some sort of Attenuator.