dr.z maz 18, or DRRI, the most headroom?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blues Wail, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

hi, i have a drri that i gig with, and it stays clean till around 4 on the dial,
    i played a z maz 18 with verb that sounded beautiful, any thoughts on
    which amp might have more headroom? my gut says the fender, based
    on the tibe and wattage configuration. what sayeth ye??;)

2. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

No contest, the Maz 18 is way louder and projects better. The Z will stay tighter and, while not a Blackface clean, the cleans are lush but will always have a little hair around them. It's a complex amp to describe because it's not Tweedy, Voxy or Marshally but it's chimey and punchier than a Deluxe Reverb. Very different than the 6V6 Fender.

3. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

wow! thanks for the reply, i played a carr rambler, and the maz 18, the
    carr was real nice, but the z made my jaw drop!!! louder than a drri?
    i guess the 18 watts, as compared to 22 is not a major issue then!
    i gassin fer that z!! thanks again!:D

4. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    The Maz 18 is an amazingly loud 18 watts in the 2x10 combo version. Substantially louder than a 1x12 dual 6V6 20 watt amp I just got.

5. tybone

tybone Member

I agree with Jeff and Sanhozay. When I heard a Maz Jr. I was amazed at how loud it was. It was a single 12 combo with a g12h30 in it and it had the most clean headroom out of any of the 2 x el84 amps we played that day. I don't know how they do it but it was loud and sweet and 3d when it was cranked. My '71 deluxe reverb does not do that past 4 or 5.

6. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

thanks everyone, i think the maz is the one!!:dude

7. jec

jec Member

I've had both... Maz Jr. stays incredibly focused, even at "overdrive" levels. DRRI cleans are good, but there's no comparison IMHO.

8. Bullhonky Deluxe

Bullhonky Deluxe Supporting Member

Maz by a mile, I've had a 2x10 and 1x12 Maz Jr., and they both had nice headroom and sounded great with pedals. I've also used them with 4x12s with much success.

IMHO a spkr and tube change/upgrade in a DRRI would be a cool way to go.

:BEER

9. JeffD

How would you compare the 2x10 to the 1x12 Maz, in terms of volume and tone? Thanks.

10. Bullhonky Deluxe

Bullhonky Deluxe Supporting Member

I slightly preferred the 2x10, but I think it may have been the Webers that it was loaded with that set it apart.
    It has been 2 years since I sold them, so I'm not too sure if I'm qualified to answer your question. They both seemed to have about the same output level.

:BEER

11. B Vance

B Vance Member

Clean headroom...it depends. You can really clean up a DRRI with the right tubes. I mean no break with humbuckers with volume at 5. That being said, I know that the Maz 18 translates into more like 22 watts, which is what the DRRI is rated at. I have never owned the Jr, but played through several and my bandmate just picked a 2x12 up. I have played through all of the trims, head through a 1x12, 2x10, 2x12 cab and the 1x12, 2x10, and 2x12 combos. My favorite by far would have to be the 2x12 combo. I know that they just ooze with quality and the tone is second to none. I do like the Fender's reverb much better though. My bandmate purposefully went with the Maz without the reverb with the plan of adding the Fender tube reverb unit preamp. Best of both worlds you know. An extra $300, but it's worth it to him I guess. There is just something special to me about channel 2 on the DRRI with the trem going and a slight bit of reverb that the Maz could never recreate. In the end I think you'll be happy either way, but point to point is probably a safer option as far as longevity is concerned.

12. Europa760

Europa760 Guest

i had a 22 watt Z-28. that was easily one of the most powerful amps ive ever played, short of the 50 watt marshall MKII i used to have.

you can easily over power a drummer and another guitarist with a Z-28. The DRRI in the same instance can barely hang, but at that point, youre fairly dirty, headroom is long gone.

how that translates to a maz 18, i dont know, but thats all i got.

13. JeffD

Thanks!