1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Dr Z Maz 18 or Z-28

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jwri9790, May 21, 2011.

1. jwri9790

jwri9790 Member

So I'm in the market for a new amp and just wanted to know what people thought of these two amps. I'm in Australia so prices are very high so don't get confused.

So I can get a Maz 18 head for about $2000 new or I can get myself and Z-28 head used for $1200 (not sure how old it is on ebay at the moment). I'm after a versatile amp that will take high gain over drive pedals really well, but have a nice gorgeous clean sound as well.

Any thoughts?

2. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

I've yet to play a Maz 18 I liked but I loved my Z-28.
    Owned that and a Maz Sr at the same time, 2 of Z's very best.
    If you want a Fender type base for use with pedals then go for a Z-28.
    The EF-86 front end takes pedals very well.

3. jwri9790

jwri9790 Member

I play mostly 90's alternative (Nirvana, Slint, Pixies etc) and want something that has an amazing clean tone that doesn't sound brittle and fizzy when you stomp on a MIJ DS-1 or a Rat at full gain.

I also jam alot of blues, jazz and rock so it needs to have a fantastic tone as well.

4. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

I'm so glad someone started this thread.
    3 questions...
    Does the Z28 sound fuller and/or have more bass?
    Which has a better(fuller, sparkly high
    -end) clean?
    Does the Z28 sound kinda stiff/hard like the Maz series? I tried a maz and even though I like it's articulation, it was always very punchy and kinda stiff/ hard sounding.

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

The Maz Jr is more versatile (full eq, cut, mv, loop or 'verb), the Z28 is a bit more raw single purposed.

6. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I've owned a maz 18 (and several other z's) currently have a R66, the 28's big brother. I'd jump on the Z28 if it were me. No shortage of maz's out there.

7. Mika

Mika Member

I loved the sound of the maz without reverb, there is plenty of headroom.... but I noticed I had the bass almost full..... and I have noticed in gearmandude demo's he likewaise has his maz 18 riding high on the bass.......
    I in the ned opted for the carmen ghia (which people claim to be a more tame amp) I dont see this.... its a loud amazing amp.
    I would try the maz 18, its a little more well known and you can sell it on easier if you dont like it. Either way you will probably love which ever one you choose....

8. james...

james... Member

It just depends of your volume needs. Playing small to medium clubs? Get the 18. If you need a ton of headroom and don't want it to break up at all, the 28 may be it. But keep in mind the 18 has more headroom than most 18 watters.

Tonally, they sound very similar to me. They take pedals very well. And to my ears they are a cross between a Fender Deluxe and an ac15.

9. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

Z28 is amazing... just a great amp. Perfect volume for most club gigs, not the cleanest amp though, so if you want crystal clean loud, this may not be it.

10. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

The MAz 18 and Z-28 sound NOTHING alike.
    Feel NOTHING alike.
    The 2 amps are completely different.
    Also, the Z-28 doesn't have a ton more headroom than the Maz 18.
    In fact, I think it may have the same headroom or a touch less.

I had about 6 DR.Z amps in the same room and the Z-28 was the sweetest of them all. It's got a looser feel than a Maz Jr OR Sr and is a bit fatter sounding but still has a touch of chime on top.

It really depends on how much headroom you need too. I think the EF-86 front end amps from Z are killer, along with the Maz Sr. I'm not fond of many of his other designs. And I'm of the few around here that you couldn't give me a Maz Jr, I've never liked that amp so take all my comments with that in mind.

11. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Who told you that? The Ghia is far from tame... in fact "tame" is more how I'd describe the Maz 18 until you really get it cookin.

Yah... not sure I'd go with the Z28 for head room. It's a loud 22 watts, but its got nice grind from the get go. If you push the tone controls past noon they basically add gain.

Both the Ghia and Z28 are really great amps that can cook. The maz can do more, but doesn't have that special something that these other two do.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  12. james...

james... Member

Oh sorry. For some reason I was getting the z28 confused with the maz 38.

I feel so stupid. Brain fart.