Dr. Z Maz 18 - Reverb Issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jpoftn, Dec 21, 2009.

1. jpoftn

jpoftn Member

I just bought a used Maz 18 combo off of Flea-bay, and was surprised at how dry the reverb sounds when the amp is playing at low levels. Is it normal for the reverb to be virtually non-existent if the gain and/or master volume are turned down low (i.e. "loud" bedroom levels), even with the reverb knob fully cranked?

When I turn the amp up (both gain and MV above 10:00) the signal starts to get wetter. But it nevers gets anywhere close to the saturated wet reverb possible with a Fender amp, even with the Reverb knob dimed and the volume at face melting levels.

Is this normal?

Just trying to figure out if my Maz has a problem or not. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. sws1

sws1 Member

Not normal.

3. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

The reverb on these amps is not as intense and "surfy" as let's say a Fender reverb, but it's there and when fully on would not really be lacking. You should be able to hear it plain as day even at low levels.

4. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

Try swaping in a new 12at7, I think that is the reverb tube, but there may be two 12at7s if I remember right. Someone else may be able to chime in, or you may want to post on the DR Z forum...they would be able to help for sure.

5. jpoftn

jpoftn Member

yep, i tried swapping out both the V3 and V4 tubes (reverb send and return). Also cleaned the RCA connectors with cleaning fluid. Also tried swapping out RCA cables. I'll post on the Dr Z forum and see what they have to say....thanks for the input

6. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Or just call the Doc. They are rumored to have legendary service.