Dr. Z MAZ 38 master volume question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by popsongsmith, May 31, 2008.

1. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I just picked one of these up. It's a 2x12 combo with reverb. I'm confused about the master volume. I'm used to a fair amount of distortion when a master volume is turned down with the volume dimed, but the MAZ seems to just barely break up, even with humbuckers.

Am I missing something?

Cheers.

2. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

Use input 2 with the volume maxed and themaster to control volume, The tone controls up as high as possible. it should give you fairly good pre amp distortion. Mine does.

3. John Carson

John Carson Supporting Member

I had one and had the same issues. REALLY loud with little breakup.
    I have been told that you really need a pedal or get a MAZ 18.

4. remedy

remedy Member

The Maz 38 sr. is a pretty clean amp until you really push it. I was very happy with the tone of mine when run wide open through A THD Hot Plate, without it the amp was always quite clean and a bit sterlie

5. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

yeah, I've been f***ing with it a bit, and I think you're right. I do believe it was made to be cranked.

6. remedy

remedy Member

have a listen to the lead tones on our myspace page (in my sig) they are 100% Maz 38 sr. cranked.

7. MusicESP

MusicESP Member

I recently picked up a Maz SR Reverb Head, and I can tell you that the master volume works perfect here.

If I want clean tones with less breakup, then I dime the Master, and control the overall level with the volume control.

If I'm going for a lead tone, then I do the opposite. I dime the volume knob, and control the overall level with the master knob.

I use the Hi input, and pickups do matter. I get far more breakup with my Les Paul, than I do with my vintage reissue Strat.

Another thing to check, is tubes. Make sure the previous owner didn't put a low gain (5751, 12AT7, ect in V1)

If you want a really great tone at a lower volume, then swap out the GZ34 rectifier tube for NOS JAN Philips/Sylvania 5AR4 (mislabeled 5V4GA) from Mike at KCA NOS

http://www.kcanostubes.com/products/149/NOS-JAN-Philips-Sylvania-5AR4-mislabeled-5V4GA.htm

8. thesooze

thesooze Member

I throw pedals at my Maz 38 NR to break her up; then again, I purchased her for her clean headroom, not her break.

9. doyle o'brian

doyle o'brian Supporting Member

To me the maz amps are real rock amps. If you want break up you need to crank it and play hard. The distortion on channel switching and high gain amps sounds phony to me after playing my maz jr. It seems artificial or something.

10. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

Exactly my experience as well...