Dr. Z Maz Jr NR vs Goodsell 17/5

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by R Morrow, Aug 12, 2008.

1. R Morrow

R Morrow Member

I have a Dr. Z Jr NR head. I really enjoy it, but wonder how it compares to the Goodsell 17/5. Anyone with experience with both, please compare and contrast.

2. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

Not exactly the same but here are my experience, I have a Maz Jr NR combo 1x12 and a 2x10 super 17 with reverb. Both great amps but I feel that I need to play the Jr louder to get great tone (override) while the S17 can get great distortion tone at lower volumes if a need to (bedroom practice).

I like both but out of those 2 I preffer for now better the S17.

3. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I tried out a Maz Jr in a store before I bought my Goodsell 17--2X10 strictly on info from this board and talking to Richard Goodsell on the cell. I think I made the right choice. Goodsell for me!

4. Andre357

Andre357 Member

So it sounds like the MAZ jr gets louder clean tones ??

Good, thats what I need.

5. magnus02

magnus02 Member

i dont think louder clean tones was his point i think he was saying he can get better distortion at lower volumes which is due to a very effective gain / volume knob interaction. with my gain low, volume high, tone around 9 oclock, and single coils i can get real loud and clean with my super 17

6. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

In the voice of Christopher Walken from a Sat.nite Live skit, "I think I totally agree with you now"

My 17 is loud, clean, and mean and crunchy when I need it.

7. takakat

takakat Member

If you like louder and clean tone get an amp with higher output. I never liked Maz Jr, it did not have enough bass tone. I always go back to my old Fender Twin Reverb.

8. R Morrow

R Morrow Member

Thanks for the insight y'all.

9. THebert

THebert Member

Maz Jr vs 17/5 Hmmm.... Why choose, get them both! ;)

Haven't compared both, but the Goodsell sounds real good.

10. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

The Goodsell has plenty of clean & creamy low-end and headroom. The Maz 18 never quite did it for me. Used it @ Ultra sound (NYC) a bunch of times to check it out in rehearsals, and it always left me wanting more. The S17 on the other hand, just sounds better and better every night I play though her! 3 simple interactive controls to create any amount of clean warm chime to phat toothy grind, she's a winner. :dude

11. briankp7

briankp7 Supporting Member

I played numerous Maz Jr's and had my heart set on getting one for about a year. I loved the tone and from what I played of them they were the best amp for me, that is until I went to look at one at a music store that also carries Goodsell. I played these two back and forth for probably 2+ hours in the store and couldn't believe my ears. The Goodsell Super 17 just blew the Maz jr away. louder cleans, creamy vintage style crunch, and when you get this amp singing, WOW!! It is very responsive to your pick attack too, actually one of the most responsive amps I've ever played. I ended up leaving that day with the Goodsell Super 17 with no reverb and a Celestion 12 inch speaker, I love this amp and for me this is the best amp I've tried. I love it more everyday. Now The Maz Jr. is still a great amp, and I actually want a Z-28 now just for a different sound, but for me it was the Goodsell between that and the Maz Jr!!

12. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I agree with what brian said. Every gig I love my Super 17 more and more.

13. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

The GS I had was one of the originals. It was a very bright amp and I did not have full use of the tone nob which I think is crucial on these. I tried different spks and still to much highs. Kinda bums me out when I hear all the raves, and I tend to think most dont sound like mine did. I should have checked into switching the tone cap, but being a gear freak I just went on.

14. briankp7

briankp7 Supporting Member

The tone knob is very crucial. By adjusting the tone knob you can drastically alter the tone of the Goodsell. It almost sounds as it is a different amp just by tweaking the 3 knobs it has!! That is one thing I love about Goodsell, Like Richard say he builds a no B.S. amp that is simple and easy to use. There is a lot of different sounds in these 3 knobs and that is what I like. If I'm at a gig all I have to do is reach back a twist 1 knob and I get get a completely different sound, or I can tweak all 3 and it still doesn't take 5 minutes like it would with other amps with 10 knobs!!