Dr Z Maz Jr (reverb) getting the MKii mod - thoughts?

Jay_dicky

I just sent my 2015 Maz Jr (reverb) in to the good doctor to get the MKii mod and have about a month before I get it back.

I little history. I have an older Maz Jr NR with a Celestion blue and I absolutely love it, I can’t imagine it getting much better. I wouldn’t mind getting the master and loop upgraded but I would be very hesitant to have it tinkered with because I absolutely love it.

I recently got the 2015 Maz Jr with reverb and stock G12H30 speaker. It sounds good but the NR is on a different level. I decided to send the new one in for the MKii mods. I have a few questions for the forum:

Has anyone had this done and what are your impressions?
Will the changes make a drastic difference in tone and how would you describe it?
I know there is a difference between the two speakers, have you ab’d the two with the maz?
I’m also curious how a modded Maz compared with the new MKii model.

My impatience is bleeding through, and I have read what I could find on the subject but I’m hoping more people have done the mod and can share their opinions.

I play mostly rock/blues usually with OD pedals and love pristine cleans.

Thank you

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
From what I understand, it is an upgrade to the Master Volume and the reverb. Those 2 need to be upgraded from the original in my opinion. I thought I heard the NR version had a little more going on without the reverb in the circuit. Either way, I would ditch that G12H30 and get a Celestion Gold for the 18Jr when you get it back.

Jay_dicky

Either way, I would ditch that G12H30 and get a Celestion Gold for the 18Jr when you get it back.
The Gold is definitely on my short list. I’ll play with the G12H30 for a bit before I swap but I have the feeling I’ll end up changing it out.

Purpletele

Gold Supporting Member
Has anyone had this done and what are your impressions?
Will the changes make a drastic difference in tone and how would you describe it?
I know there is a difference between the two speakers, have you ab’d the two with the maz?
I’m also curious how a modded Maz compared with the new MKii model.

Thank you
I have the Maz 38 NR Mark II and I think it is fantastic. The tone doesn't change, but it is easier to get a really nice tone at a lower volume. That is more true for the Maz 38 than the 18.

You won't be disappointed!

communarchy

Silver Supporting Member
While there has been one person who has heard the new MAZ side by side with his older MAZ and opted to keep his MK I stock (he was a clean player using pedals, and younger, probably on a more budgeted income, so it may have been a budget issue... I'm assuming...), we have had ZERO complaints on updated models. And we have done over 100 updates at this point:

http://drzamps.com/support/mods-and-services/#testimonials

Last edited:

Jay_dicky

While there has been one person who has heard the new MAZ side by side with his older MAZ and opted to keep his MK I stock (he was a clean player using pedals, and younger, probably on a more budgeted income, so it may have been a budget issue... I'm assuming...), we have had ZERO complaints on updated models. And we have done over 100 updates at this point:

http://drzamps.com/support/mods-and-services/#testimonials
How would you describe any change in tonal characteristics? Both clean and gain?

Irreversal

I had old 18 NR and 38 NR MkI's. The 38 NR MkII with half power is more of everything I loved about the originals, and none of the things that irked me like icy highs, thinner tone at low volume, picky nature with guitars, etc.

I'll be keeping my MkII for a very long time.

Last edited:

Jay_dicky

I had old 18 NR and 38 NR MkI's. The 38 NR MkII with half power is more of everything I loved about the originals, and none of the things the irked me like icy highs, thinner tone at low volume, picky nature with guitars, etc.

I'll be keeping my MkII for a very long time.
How close is the maz 38 at 18 watt setting to the maz 18? Do they sound the same?

Irreversal

How close is the maz 38 at 18 watt setting to the maz 18? Do they sound the same?
They're almost identical, but the 38 MkII at half power has more girth, punch, and fullness than the regular 18. That's to be expected in a 4xEL84 setting vs 2xEL84...

Jay_dicky

They're almost identical, but the 38 MkII at half power has more girth, punch, and fullness than the regular 18. That's to be expected in a 4xEL84 setting vs 2xEL84...
What speaker are you using? I almost got a Maz 38 a while back. The dual wattage would’ve sealed that deal. It had a Celestine gold in it too. Oh well ‍♂

PerryR

Gold Supporting Member
I have originals and MKII versions of both the 38 & 18. If that MAZ18 NR of yours sounds killer, than dont mess with it! The MKII master is better for lower volume overdrive, but the original master was equally as cool in its own way, especially up around gig levels. Thats a MKI thing that i can see some players preferring just because its a little different in how the output is driven. MAZ MKI’s Still kickass!

Jay_dicky

I have originals and MKII versions of both the 38 & 18. If that MAZ18 NR of yours sounds killer, than dont mess with it! The MKII master is better for lower volume overdrive, but the original master was equally as cool in its own way, especially up around gig levels. Thats a MKI thing that i can see some players preferring just because its a little different in how the output is driven. MAZ MKI’s Still kickass!
I’m sure I don’t need to tell you but the mki I have, with a Celestion blue, is out of this world good. I could see updating the loop but I’d be very hesitant to mess with anything else. I’m hoping the 2015 reverb maz I’m getting upgraded comes back with some more mojo. It just didn’t have the same vibe, may be the speaker though. I should’ve tried it with the blue, but I will when I get it back. My impatience is getting the better of me.

Irreversal

What speaker are you using? I almost got a Maz 38 a while back. The dual wattage would’ve sealed that deal. It had a Celestine gold in it too. Oh well ‍♂
I've got a bunch. I alternate between the Alnico Cream, Alnico Ruby and G12H30. Another plus for the MkII, it seems to work a little better with a wider variety of speakers...

rck

I've got a bunch. I alternate between the Alnico Cream, Alnico Ruby and G12H30. Another plus for the MkII, it seems to work a little better with a wider variety of speakers...
Which speaker of those 3 would you say has more upper end (chimey) and less bottom end?

If the Maz 38 is running at half power, isn't it just using two EL84s just like the Maz 18 would be?

communarchy

Silver Supporting Member
If the Maz 38 is running at half power, isn't it just using two EL84s just like the Maz 18 would be?
Yes. But the output and power transformers are different. The output transformer is mainly what is going to give the 38 at half power more "girth" or a faster, stouter low end than a standard 18 due to it's size, which translates to bigger bandwidth.

Irreversal

Which speaker of those 3 would you say has more upper end (chimey) and less bottom end?
Out of the 3, the Ruby would be my pick. It has less bottom than the others and I really don't notice the high end roll off people seem to gripe about. Its midrange sits perfectly with the Maz series, and it's also a little more rude sounding.

Yes. But the output and power transformers are different. The output transformer is mainly what is going to give the 38 at half power more "girth" or a faster, stouter low end than a standard 18 due to it's size, which translates to bigger bandwidth.
Gotcha, thanks!

Trending Topics