Dr. Z Maz Jr............

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Blueswede, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Blueswede

Blueswede Gold Supporting Member

Just wondering if any of you out there have done any experimentation with the speakers in this amp. I'm not even sure what the ohm rating is. There is no marking on the speakers. I'm assuming that these are the stock Z speakers. Any info....? Steve

2. Stan Malinowski

Stan Malinowski Silver Supporting Member

I haven't found any need to experiment with the 2 10" speakers in my Maz 18JR, but I can tell you they are 16ohm speakers wired in parallel to present an 8 ohm load to the amplifier.

Hope this helps somewhat.

3. Blueswede

Actually, upon closer examination, the speakers are Celestion Vintage 10s, rated at 60 watts each. Seems like a lot for an 18 watt amp. Would I be better served if I put in a couple of lower wattage speakers? Thanks for the reply. Steve

4. Blueswede

Oops- forgot to add that the speakers are 8 ohm. Steve

5. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

The current 2x10 Maz Jr comes with the Z 10" speaker (16ohm). I did a fair amount of experimentation with Weber and Celestion models and the Z speaker really stood out as the best speaker in that application. The Maz has a huge low end that caused most of the other speakers to fart out, especially the alnico Webers (Blue Pup and P10Q). This is not take anything away from Weber or Celestion, just to point out how great Z's 10" speaker works in his own amps.

6. Blueswede

Well, I've gotten a couple of replys from Dr. Z, and still have some questions. The speakers in my Jr are both 8 ohms. Dr. Z says that in his older amps, he used Vintage 10s, but they were both 16 ohms. He also said that the amp is only 8 ohm out. Being a novice when it comes to tech stuff, I'm not sure how this works. He seems to think that the speakers are not original. Can 2 8 ohm speakers be wired to only run 8 ohms? Do I need to change to 16 ohm speakers? Any help would be appreciated. STeve

7. Heritage

Heritage Gold Supporting Member

Blueswede,
    To get an 8 ohm load you are going to need two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel or two 4 ohm speakers wired in series. It does seem that you have an impedance mis-match with your two 8 ohm speakers. Two 8 ohm speakers will produce 16 ohms in series or 4 ohms in parallel.

Hope this helps,
    Scott

8. Stan Malinowski

Stan Malinowski Silver Supporting Member

My Maz 18 JR has two speaker output jacks, 4 ohm and 8 ohm. I have 2 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel for a load of 8 ohms. AS stated previously you should be able to wire 2 8 ohm speakers in parallel to get a 4 ohm load. The amp is about a year old and I don't believe the doctor has changed the basic design.

9. johan

johan Member

Check if you have 4 and 8 ohm outout. If it says 8 ohm then your 8 ohm speakers (you had two 10" right?) are mismatched.

If you feel the amp don't sound the way it should be call Mike Zaite and order a set of his 10" speakers. They are really that good. Perfect for that amp.

But you never know...maybe you have a set of 16 ohm Vintage 10's. Should be..Maybe you can measure them. If they measure above 10 ohm then they are 16 ohms...you have to add some %...forgot how much.

My old MAZ jr (#19 made) came stock with Weber C10Q but had a label that states Dr Z P12Z....rock'n'roll! :dude

10. Blueswede

The speakers are clearly marked "8 ohm". I guess someone replaced the original ones, for some reason. My amp only has one speaker out, reading 8ohms. So I do have an impedance mismatch. I found a Dr. Z speaker from another forum member, and have just ordered one from Dr. Z. Should be interesting to get the right speakers in the amp. It actually sounds pretty good the way it is. Thanks for the info. Steve

11. johan

johan Member

You will love it !

Tried my MAZ jr with some different speakers the other day. Blue Alnicos etc...that amp needs it's Z10 speakers to sound right. I have two spare Z10 speakers. Will probably build a 2*10" cab eventually..

12. Steve,

I've emailed you several times but they bounce back!

The speakers in the amp are stock as far as I know.

I have the Tuki cover ready to go too.

Mike

13. Blueswede

Mike- I really don't know why your emails bounce back. I don't have that problem with anyone else. Make sure you're mailing to Blueswede@earthlink.net. Check for the cover goes out tomorrow. Steve

14. Blueswede

Jeff- I guess the main difference is that my amp only has one speaker out, and it's 8 ohm. I recently replaced the Celestions with a pair of Z speakers, rated at 16 ohms. I've played one gig with them, but haven't had much time to really listen to them to see the difference. Hopefully eliminating the impedence mismatch will make a difference. I did like the sound before; I was just concerned that I ran the risk of transformer damage with such a mismatch. I'll keep you posted. STeve

15. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I've experimented pretty extensively with speakers in my Port City 2x12 when using the Maz 18 Jr NR head. Settled on Celestoin Heritage G12-65s. Love 'em.