Dr.Z Maz Sr. speaker suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jason Myers, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Jason Myers

Jason Myers Member

I just got a smokin', killer, crazy deal on a Sr. 1x12 combo today! I bought it thinking it needed some work and come to find out it was the speaker. Someone had thrown some stuff in the back anp pushed the cone out at an angle so the coil was wedged against the mag (exactly why I don't put things in the back of my combo's).

So, do I get the Red Fang reconed (thats what was in it) or maybe get something else to put in there. I don't know what they come with from the factory so that may be helpful. I can get Mojo's and Jensen's at dealer cost, but I don't have a lot in this amp, so I don't mind putting some cash in a good speaker for it. So, whatcha' thinking.

2. zdogma

zdogma Member

I find the Red Fang breaks up a bit too much in the 38. I'd get a Cel. gold or a 50 watt Weber blue.

3. m1911

m1911 Member

The MAZ Senior is my favorite Amplifier, and I think the Tone Tubby Alnico Hemp Cones (H1) sound fantastic with any MAZ.
    You can really pound them and they stay tight, smooth, and warm all the way. Some will say they are dark sounding, but with MAZ Seniors (or MAZ Juniors) they sound great.
    Second choice would be a Celestion Gold.
    Mark

4. Jason Myers

Jason Myers Member

Cool. What do they put in these from the factory?

Keep 'em coming y'all.

5. m1911

m1911 Member

On most 1x12 Combo's, Z puts a standard Celestion G12-30H in.
    I've heard some guys now ordering new 1x12 Combos with a Gold too.
    Mark

6. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

My 38 came with the Celestion 12H30. I put an alnico Tone Tubby in it and feel it's a significant improvement. For much less money you could try an Eminence Cannabis Rex which uses an actual Tone Tubby cone. I've never heard a bad report on a Gold.

7. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    my maz38 2x12 has greenbacks that sound great, but for a 1x12 i think a G12H30 or a Gold would sound awesome...

8. Jason Myers

Jason Myers Member

I actually had a couple of Mojo BV30-H's just sitting around the house, so I threw one in and so far it sounds great and the speaker isn't broken in yet. I have high hopes for this speaker ( I actually love their 25 watters).

I had looked at the Emi Cannibus Rex ( I don't know if i'm ready to drop $250 on a Tone Tubby or gold yet, but it's not out of the question). Anyone tried a Cannibus Rex in one yet? I'm not really sure i'm sold on Eminence yet but I may try one.

So far I love this amp! It has been what I was looking for in an amp. I just throw my OCD in front as a boost and it is heavenly. Now I just gotta' get the wife out of the house so I can whip on her some more!

edit: the amp, not the wife ^

9. plygtar

plygtar Member

I recently bought a Maz 18 head and play through a Cannabis Rex. It was interesting because the person who sold me the Maz swears by the Celestion G12H30 and V30 and had me doubting whether the CR would work well. However, I pleasantly found that the CR gives me a nice tonal range with either HB's or single coils. I am thoroughly pleased with its tone. I have a Tonespotter on the way. I'm looking forward to trying it out with the Maz and then I can go either 1x12 or 2x12 in combination. I had a Celestion Greenback and wasn't impressed with it although tried it with a different amp at the time and not with the Maz.

10. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

My two favs with the Maz38sr is the Weber Bluedog or SilverBell. I slightly prefer the Silverbell in a one speaker setup, though it is hard to choose one between the two.

11. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

+1 If your running the amp loud..

Go with the 50 watt alnico Weber blue!

12. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

My mid-90's MAZ Sr. 2x12 came with Greenbacks.

13. Jason Myers

Jason Myers Member

This may be a little premature, but after playing it a little after I got home I think the Mojo sounds a little boxy with this amp so it may be time to pony up the bucks. hmmmmm, what to do?

14. 909one

909one Member

I have a maz 38 1x12 as well and I was thinking about getting the the weber blue.
    The g12h30 is too ice-pick-y. You recommend it for taming the ice pic?

15. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

The G12H30 will cone cry too, I hate that about most Celestions.

16. Jason Myers

Jason Myers Member

I think i may go the Weber route. Either the Blue or Silver. Can someone explain doping to me? I don't do a lot of high register soloing, so could I get away with little or no doping?