Dr. Z Mazerati GT does Clean 2 Mean, Fuzzes and Blues....Clips inside..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dewman, Apr 5, 2008.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Tried out a few guitars and pedals with the Dr. Z Mazerati GT yesterday- Guitars are a Les Paul R7 and an old solidbody blues guitar Kay styled Custom Kraft guitar with those killer 50s pickups like the stratotones have...Amp on 9-10 oclock, fuzzes set on max fuzz and unity volume, airbrake set 2-3 clicks back into a Germino 4x12 w/ G12M heritage 20 watters. All in all not hugely loud set up this way. Please post clips of the Mazerati GT with your own setup!

A. R7 Clips w/ Mazerati GT....
    Here's some Allmanish clean to overdrive with a knob adjustment:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUD83bKj1Rk

And a Lovepedal Morph Fuzz in Germanium mode:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgufKHUY8wU

NEW: a Lovepedal 200lbs of Tone Fuzz and R7:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcaV8UCSghk

B. Custom Kraft guitar, bridge pup....
    Heres a brief open D slide thingy, no OD:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfbka19W8GI

And another blues short clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enxIDf9KVuQ

2. sparkman

sparkman Silver Supporting Member

Dewman--killer clips! I am really enjoying my Mazerati GT, and like you, really like the transition between clean and mean. I also run my through a Germino 4x12. Must be something in the water here in NC--LOL! Thanks for sharing those!

Jim

3. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Great tone..got those 'buckers deep in there huh?

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

5. dewman

Very good observation!!

Yeah, they are the standard burstbuckers and quite harsh if you let them ride high! Lower those babies and they sweeten up considerably. Plus new CTS pots and vitamin Q caps help!

6. dewman

Lovepedal 200lbs of tone fuzz added

7. Bmused

Bmused Silver Supporting Member

Great clips, Dewman!

How does the Mazerati GT compare volume-wise to the LV55?

8. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

Is the GT off the market dewman?

9. gregory49

gregory49 Member

sweet tone man!!! How about some clips with a germino amp and the 200lbs.. maybe a strat to? :D PLEASEEEEEEE :D:D

10. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

"[...Lower those babies and they sweeten up considerably...]"

dewman said it straight...something that I had forgotten over the years is lowering your pu's to sweeten the tone. Raising your pu's will gain you more distortion but at the expense of good tone. Let the amp do the distorting. Just a suggestion.

Tom

11. dewman

anyone else have any clips to share?

12. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Clip with the Morph and the 2nd Custom Kraft sounds great.

Ever compare this amp to a RT 66? Curious what the similarities/difference might be.

cheers!

13. dewman

Yeah, funny you should say Route 66. It sort of has the voice of the Route 66 but not as congested in the midrange, it really is voiced when overdriven like a vintage Marshall or in my hands a Germino Lead 55, but with a slightly different EQ, less aggressive. I like this amp 100% better than a Route 66. No ghosting either when cranked, which is something I have experienced on some Route 66s (I've owned two). But the overdriven tone was very similar in a 4x12 loaded with greenback reissues. It doesnt sound like an EL84 amp to my ears. The GT shines against the Route66 when overdriven. The Mazerati GT has great cleans and also can get dirty. The Route 66 was too clean unless cranked, and just felt too loud to me. I've owned a Maz18 JR. Nice amp, very versatile but never could get past the grainy overdrive. I like the Carmen Ghia, but it never sang with single coils like the GT. I am a huge fan of Greg Germino's amps, and if I don't bond with this rig its because I went back to a Lead 55 LV (or 100 watter) in an attempt to get something of similar tone to the GT but with a few additional knobs for EQ purposes. The Lead 55 LV is special becase of the EQ but also the ability to run 6V6s for 25 watts of output. I guess my only minor complaints about the GT are volume control and EQ options. But it really is dialed in OK with the EQ.

So far though I haven't needed anything but amp and cab and cord. Mike Z has dialed in the GT to be in the right volume spot to be clean and dirty with the flip of the volume knob. I am testing out a few cabs in an effort to control volume now. If I sell it, it isnt because of performance. Its because its too much for our little group of hackers or I miss additonal EQ options.

That Custom Kraft is a MONSTER guitar. I cant believe an old Kay (to be more correct, St. Louis Music Co.) made guitar would have THAT tone. Its clearly the pickups! Last night I took the GT, cranked it to 10 oclock, went straight in tuned to D and played slide using a fairly thick piece of brass pipe I cut 10 minutes before. Although I clearly totally suck at slide, the tone was incredible.

I picked that guitar up at Player's Guitar in San Rafael, CA. Jim has a ton of old 40s-70s odd bird guitars that all the old blues guys used. He has great ears for tone too and is a monster slide player. Lotsa low wattage amps there too. Check them out. Jim fixes them up to make them playable, usually just an intonatable bridge and/or nut is added, or tuners, he fixes the electronics and they play and sound so old school it hurts. When you hear it it is like -wow- that's what those old blues records were recorded on.

14. dewman

with EL34s, the Lead 55LV to my ears is significantly louder.