Dr Z mini z

bloozeman1

Silver Supporting Member
seriously contemplating on buying one of these little 5 watt amps. Just curious how much more headroom I would achieve if I changed out the 12ax7 preamp tube to a 5751 and used a head with a 12 inch weber silver bell 75 watt speaker? any opinions? I think it would make for more headroom and a little later break up

IndyMead

Everything about that amp appears designed for early breakup tones and bedroom rock'n'roll. Why not just buy an amp more suited for what you want?

Fishyfishfish

Check out the M12. Doc has a easy mod to make it either 12-8 or 20 watts with two resistors and a different rec tube.

bloozeman1

Silver Supporting Member
Check out the M12. Doc has a easy mod to make it either 12-8 or 20 watts with two resistors and a different rec tube.
Ive already got the M12. debating on a mini z because there pretty cheap or saving a little more and going maz 8, I know I would get more headroom from the maz 8 but the mini is calling me for at home use and maybe small venue gigs, thats where I wonder about the increase in headroom, dont need a ton of it but dont want to have basically none either

Fishyfishfish

Gotcha. i am also looking at mini's as well, but for all practical reasons thinking the M12 might fit the bill for what I do. My neighbors hate my Maz18....... Oh and they really hate my JTM. By the way, is the 12 more like the Ghia or Z28?

vegarman

Gold Supporting Member
had one, fun for a while, very one dimensional, fairly inexpensive, high quality, sounds good but headroom?!!

bloozeman1

Silver Supporting Member
Gotcha. i am also looking at mini's as well, but for all practical reasons thinking the M12 might fit the bill for what I do. My neighbors hate my Maz18....... Oh and they really hate my JTM. By the way, is the 12 more like the Ghia or Z28?
I've never played the ghia but I do also have a z28 and I don't think the 12 sounds like it at all. The z28 is darker and more low mid focused to me. Its also real thick as well. The 12 is brighter. I'm actually considering selling my 12 to pick up another maz 18. I had one before but sold it to help fund the z28 but I now still miss the maz 18. Lol.

andersmv

Silver Supporting Member
Nothing you do to that amp is going to give you more headroom. That amp is designed to start at overdrive and then go to 11. If you want something with more headroom and low wattage/quiet, might as well look at a nice champ clone like a victoria.

bloozeman1

Silver Supporting Member
I think Ill look into the Z maz 8. I dont like any other amps but Z's right now. I tried to go the fender route a few months ago and they just didnt do it for me. nothing has really since I discovered Zs 2 years ago

s360guitarist

Silver Supporting Member
I played the maz8, mini, and ac4hw1 all side by side here locally...

The maz8 is the only one that had any cleans. It made the other two look really bad.

Trending Topics