• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Dr. Z Monza...Grissom in a box

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
I was in Chicago last week and went to Make N Music (love that store) where I was able to try out lots of amps. I've always been interested in a Monza, but never heard one.

WOW! I got instant Grissom tones. I know it's nicknamed Billy in a box, but it's got that chirpy/Dumbly type of tone that Grissom gets. I tried it through all my cabs, but it really sounds great with my Kerry Wright 2x12 open back with the Celestion Heritage G12H30 75hz speakers.

Another amazing thing is, at super saturated gain levels the amp cleans up really well with the guitar's volume knob. Clean to scream!!

BTW, this amp is LOUD so I used my Aracom to tame it a bit.

Grissom is touring with a custom PRS 30 watt EL84 amp these days and the Monza is also an EL84 amp. Great amp and an amazing price point!

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
So you brought it home...great deal!
Yes...I've been in that store more times than I can count.
Teddy knows me (and my VISA) quite well. :D

I'll head over to YouTube to see if they have any clippage of this Monza you speak so well of...

S.
j

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
That Frankie Starr guy did a couple of nice ones.
That is one great sounding little amp!

Congrats,
S.
j

aaronblues

Silver Supporting Member
Loudest 20 watt amp i've ever heard. Ridiculous.

I too love the tone when rolling back the guitar volume a bit ... i was tempted for quite a while to buy one, just on those tones, never crank my guitar's volume! But it's too loud for what i do current....

cheers

GAT

I too love the tone when rolling back the guitar volume a bit ... i was tempted for quite a while to buy one, just on those tones, never crank my guitar's volume! But it's too loud for what i do current....

cheers
Yeah, it's like a 50 watter! I just love those woody tones and it has tons of gain, no pedals needed with humbuckers!

The Aracom is perfect for it.

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
I will say that, after having lived with a Carmen Ghia for a couple years and an AC15H1TV for a couple years before that, I refuse to believe the Monza is only 20 watts.

It's definitely ganier than I prefer but I can see how a lot of folks would LOVE it if they gave it a chance. The place I played it in Delaware, the guy at the store (the owner, I think) said it was basically his favorite amp ever.

katuna

Gold Supporting Member

cheers
Is it louder than a KT45?

Jim S

LOL! :bonk

Jim, you would like this amp! Lots of gain, wild ass tone, and tons of sustain!
Do I need an Aracom to tame it or does it have a good enough master for home volumes?

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
Hey Gil!

The videos are OK sounding. Sounds like the fundamental is separate from the drive. Does not sound like one big tone. More like the drive is parallel/on top of the clear guitar tone.
It does not sound like that in person?

coldfingaz

A beauty of a blonde head Monza went on the Emporium a day or two ago at a great price. I was very, very tempted. I'm going to pull the trigger on a new amp, but I'm torn... this Monza looks great, so does the Avatar 18 head & the Orange AD30HTC. By tomorrow, I'll probably be considering a dozen others.... tough to go wrong with a Z though!

DR.Z

Double Platinum Member
GAT I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Monza.
It is one of my favorate designs.

I have updated it in 2012.
Now it has a great PPIMV standard.
We would mod Monza's with ths master and install it on the back panel.
I redesigned the front panel and put the MV up front.

No need for attenuater IMHO.

look forward to Dave Bakers new Monza video, featuring the MV soon.

DR.Z

Madison

GAT I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Monza.
It is one of my favorate designs.

I have updated it in 2012.
Now it has a great PPIMV standard.
We would mod Monza's with ths master and install it on the back panel.
I redesigned the front panel and put the MV up front.

No need for attenuater IMHO.

look forward to Dave Bakers new Monza video, featuring the MV soon.

DR.Z
Z GAS comin' on!

carbz

Silver Supporting Member
I had the combo 1x10 for a few weeks. The good....It was loud, had plenty of gain and was nice and tiny. The bad..... It went from barely on to blaring loud with no gradual volume increase, compressed too much with a lot of gain and not near enough high end for my tastes. It worked ok with single coils but humbuckers sounded muddy to me. I was A'bing it to my Superchamp-xd and ending up liking the SC better. So far I've had the Monza and the SRZ 65 and didn't care too much for either.

GAT

I'll answer some questions:

Not as loud as the KT 45.

Jim, mine doesn't have the PPIMV so mine needs an attenuator, but Dr. Z just wrote and the latest model has one.

Michael E., no the notes all sound like one big push. I know what you're talking about, kind of like a Twin Reverb with an OD pedal one, you can hear the separation. Not so on mine!

Dr. Z, can I send mine back for the Master?

paddywhack

Gold Supporting Member
...i've had a Monza for a few weeks now...its taken a little time to adjust to as do most new amps i've had....some tube swaps and speaker trials have helped me to dial in what i want .....at first i was gonna send it in for the MV mod...i even contacted them and downloaded the work order form but i've figured out how to tame it a bit and besides i didn't buy it as bedroom amp....i've got a low watter for that....its a really gratifying amp for drivin tone...really touchy and capable of some voxy chime and crunch...its definitely for playing with a band though...preferably one thats okay with turning it up a bit....i can't wait to do some outdoor gigs with it when i can crank it....woohooo....

Trending Topics