Dr. Z owners. Have a couple Maz 18 Jr. ????'s.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by major-minor, Sep 26, 2006.

1. major-minor

major-minor Supporting Member

How is this amp for clean headroom? Have never played thru one------and the 18 watt thing concerns me alittle.

If I want the headroom of say a Bassman RI--------am I better off with the Maz 38? Or would the Maz 18 with an extention cab fill the bill?

Also---is there any advantage to getting the new non-reverb Maz?

2. bmorelli

bmorelli Member

i have a maz jr 212 non-reverb, and it's plenty loud although not real clean. clean headroom isn't a concern for me, i run mine to have a bit of "grit" at all times. i imagine if you're looking for more headroom you're probably better off with something with higher wattage like the maz sr. i hope that helps!

3. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

I currently have a Maz Jr NR 1x12 combo (Cele Blue) and owned a Victoria bassman up until a couple of weeks ago. You will not get anywhere near the clean headroom of a tweed bassman out of the Maz 18 IMHO although I did have my Vicky set up for "max tweed clean" with Weber P10Q's instead of the P10R's and lower gain tubes. I have only messed with a Maz 38 a few times so I can't really compare the 38 to the bassman. I imagine that they would be close in the clean headroom dept depending on tubes and speakers. 5881\6L6's do not OD in the same way as EL84's and the circuits are very different. My 2 cents.

4. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

i have a maz jr reverb w/ 2 10" Z speakers. for stage volume i usually run the master wide open and volume about 5. with humbuckers it definately breaks up with some crunch. single coils are have some hair which i like. i believe the nonreverb model supposedly has a little more gain. i used to have a maz 38 studio lead head that was just like a prescription. 4 controls v, b, m, t. great sounding head i should have never sold, but i was tired of having to carry a cabinet as well. anyway, it was more power, but not a lot cleaner. i think it has to do with how clean you want. do you want it like a twin reverb? you need big power for that. also how loud and clean? humbuckers will drive any amp harder than single coils. don't be worried about 18 watts. its a lot of amp. doesn't get flabby and farty either. i always have it mic'd and in my monitor. never have FOH sound guys complaining and play gigs anywhere from 500- 20000. if you are playing at home this amp is loud. personally i like the 2 10s, but alot of the time i use this amp and an allen v-18 w/ 12" tone tubby. same wattage, but both amps work well together. good luck, chris.

5. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

What guitar are you playing, and how loud is the drummer?
    I use an EJ strat, and a Z best 2x12 cab for most gigs. I have just enough HR wuth my Maz Jr, but I am only guitar player. The Tweed Bassman breaks up quick, but it would be cleaner, louder, in most cases.

6. major-minor

Sounds like the 18 may not be enough clean for the type of playing I need to do in the band I'm in. I use a strat, tele, and occasionally a 335. We have a hot lead player so most of what I do is back up for him. I love the natural overdriven sound but do need to have a fairly clean sound for most of the night.

The Bassman has been working great for quite a few years now. I'm actually just gassing for something "different". Maybe something with a good reverb. Just looking at some of the boutique stuff for the fun of it. Saw a used Maz 18 and was considering that as a possibility.

Hope to check out the Maz 38, Bogner Shiva, Mesa Lonestar, maybe some Victoria stuff.

Thanks for the replys. Very helpful.

7. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

My Maz 18 is surprisingly loud. It is signifigantly louder than my Bad Cat Cub. I gig with it as my #1 and use the Bad Cat as a second amp in bigger rooms .I have the 2x10 NR combo. It swirls and chimes and barks. This amp is the best deal I have come across.

8. amc

amc Member

If headroom is a concern, get the MAZ 38 (with reverb)

The Maz 18 is loud, sounds great at stage volume, but it will
    not maintain loud clean with a humbucking guitar. The MAZ 38
    can stay clean OR break-up as needed.

If you always mic your amp thru your PA, the MAZ 18 is enough, if you don't mic, get the MAZ 38

Also, get the reverb.

9. myles111

myles111 Member

Turn the master all the way up and play as a non-master volume amp for lots of clean headroom.

If you want more, then a 5751 in the phase inverter.

If you want even more a 5751 in V1 as well.

If you want more more than a set of EL84S #7-8 rating for the output tubes.

10. major-minor

amc------are you saying I'll get more headroom (clean) with an amp with reverb?

11. myles111

myles111 Member

The reverb has nothing to do with the headroom but I'd personally take the reverb model as the reverb is too good to pass up.

12. BBHollowbody

BBHollowbody Member

I think the Maz 18 with verb does have a bit more headroom.

13. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

This is all great & useful info!

I can't imagine needing much more clean headroom than the Maz Jr. I've owned big guns like Bassmans, Super Reverbs, Pro Reverbs and they all have about the same amount of clean headroom as the Maz 18. It's a pretty clean platform and certainly loud enough for most any gig application. Yeah, humbuckers won't stay together as long as single coils but I think that's one of the main attractions to this amp. It still maintains incredible, yet organic, articulation when it starts to grind and all without blowing your ears apart. Very loud 18 watts. It was louder than my 1x12 Carr Rambler; which is rated 10 watts higher.

14. myles111

myles111 Member

Generally, cathode biased amps appear to be "louder" for their wattage than grid biased amps. This is one reason a Vox AC-30 at about 30 watts appears to be as loud as an 85 watt rated Twin Reverb.

I have played in a group where I use a BF Super Reverb rated at about 45 watts and on 4-5 on the volume the other guitarist with a 1x12 Maz Jr can step on me quite easily.

15. major-minor

I think what I want to get into is something where I can (for lack of a better word) "use" the amp alittle more. You know----back the guitar's volume off for clean and crank it for a natural , slightly over-drivin sound for leads.

I've always relied on padals for that but would like to find an amp that would work for me that way.

I really need to plug into an 18 and a 38 to get a feel for each.

16. sideman

sideman Member

With due respect for sanhozay, I don't think a Maz 18 Jr -- at least the near new 2x10 combo that I used for a year or two -- has the clean or overdriven headroom of a 5F6-A, Pro Reverb, or SR, all of which I've used alot. Nor did I find that the Jr has the balls for gigging with a loud club band. I liked mine for modest volume gigs which didn't press it too hard, when its rich/robust tone could be heard. At larger/fuller clubs, or with a second guitar or piano and a hard hitting drummer, it started getting lost when a SR, PR or 5F6A had no problem.

17. myles111

myles111 Member

I agree with you here ... when it comes to clean headroom these duet 6L6 grid biased amps will have much more clean headroom than an EL84 based cathode biased amp generally.

But ... the MAZ 18 can be a very loud amp.