Dr. Z owners.... help me out.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bryan29, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Bryan29

Bryan29 Supporting Member

I'm looking seriously in to stepping up to a Dr. Z amp. There are lots of great amps out there and I know they can do all kinds of everything. But I believe I have narrowed down my choice to a Dr. Z. I am moving up from a Hiwatt Custom 20 Tube, Fernandez era I'm sure. This is a great clean amp that handles pedals very well, but it will not break up in a pleasing way. Oh, you can crank it but it's not a sound I like.

So I need an idea about where to start in the Dr. Z lineup. First off I do not want an incredibly loud amp. I'd like for the amp to be fairly low powered and be able to give a nice gainy sound without much fuss. I do use lots of pedals so a full out distortion from the amp isn't needed. Head or combo isn't an issue for me.

I think I have covered everything. Thanks in advance for the help!!

2. Mantis

Mantis Member

Carmen Ghia.....................Period.

You must play a couple Dr. Z amps to see what you like. The Ghia is my recommendation.

3. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

Maz 18 NR. I had a carmen ghia and I sold it and I am now saving funds for the Maz 18 NR.

4. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

+1 for the Maz amps, 18 or 38. My fav is the 38, there's just something about 4 el84 tubes as opposed to 2.

5. m1911

m1911 Member

6. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I've owned several different Z amps and my favorite (and what I currently use) is a Maz Jr NR. Great, versatile amp for what you want.

7. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

I think the Ghia is a great place to start in Z's line.

8. Bryan29

Bryan29 Supporting Member

How does the Ghia take to pedals?

9. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

The ghia is great- I'm letting mine go- its in the emporium now-

10. trivial

trivial Member

Your description sounds a lot like my maz jr nr.

11. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

The Maz is the most versatile although that's not what what I like about Z amps...I like the simplicity. I have a Mazerati (two knobs=efficient, simple circuit) (early, non GT model) described as a double powered Ghia. It is very pretty, round, responsive and chimey. Based on an AC30 style but different. I've also played the Rt.66 which sounds like an awesomely voiced Marshall JTM45. I really think you can't go wrong with a Z. I haven't heard the Ghia but I'd be surprised if it'd give you giggable clean tones. I though you'd want at least 30 watts. For my first show with the 'Rati I used a Zbest closed back, ported 212 w/ Weber Alnico Silver 30 watters in it and IT WASN'T LOUD ENOUGH (for rock band). I switched out for ceramic speakers and it's much better. So you can play with speaker/cabs and make quite a bit of difference on headroom/tone/volume. Good luck.

12. bigroy

bigroy Member

I own and love the Maz 18 with reverb. But as someone mentioned earlier, you really need to try them.

13. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

Man, I have a Maz Jr. w/Tone Tubby that is incredibly loud for its 18 watt rating. I play lead in a 5 piece and have no problem whatsoever with lack of volume. Awesome tone and it takes pedals great. Headroom is plentiful. Great amps.

14. bilbal

bilbal Member

Definitely the Maz series. I think they are some of the best amps out there - not just in the Z lineup!!!

b

15. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I've owned both a Maz JR NR and a Ghia. I couldnt get past the graininess of the natural overdrive of the Maz. I really wanted to love that amp. Maybe I have dog ears- cause I always hear high frequencies and have sold a many a good amp because of some weird high end thing- oh well. The Maz is incredibly flexible and can give tweed, blackface, vox and marshall tones depending on settings- but it just had that scratchy overdrive I couldnt get past it. If Z found a way to smooth that amp out I'd get one in a heartbeat. Now flash forward to the Ghia- Its instant love. Smooth overdrive, Vox/Marshall mix and it has more blues mojo on tap. Not enough clean for you, well drop in a balanced 12BH7 in V1. That'll do ya. Not loud enough- well match it with a Z 4x10 and thats plenty loud enough for most of us mortals. Into an effcient speaker cab its plenty loud. I A/Bed it against my Germinos with 6V6s rnning around 25 watts and it was every bit as loud. Still very articulate when pushed, and my best tones come from a simple boost pedal with humuckers, although it takes pedals very well generally. I unfortunately am in a rock and hard place with mine. I found the Les Paul I've been looking for and just picked it up, so I am forced to sell of some of the amps and one guitar and a few pedals to pay off te guitar and to put some money back into the bank to keep my wife happy. I'd stock up on this amp though folks if you can, it responds like mad to alternate tubes, has a great voice, is a great wattage for grab and go and also- cause when Z stops making amps- these babies are going to be the most coveted since they are already the faves. I dont want to sell mine. I just spent all this time finding a blond one...damn. Maybe I can sell a kidney....

16. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I've owned a Maz Jr, Maz Sr, Ghia and Route 66. I liked them all and only sold them because I am a no talent gear whore.

The Sr is very loud and is in the Fender/Vox camp. The Route 66 is pretty loud too and is similar to a JTM45. Based on the info you provided I think you should look at the Jr and Ghia. Thr Ghia is kind of Marshally and the overdrive is smooth. It also has pretty good sustain. The Jr is more Fender, but the breakup is nicer than the Sr IMO. So, if you are a Marshall guy go Ghia and if you are a Fender guy go Jr.

17. jcv

jcv Member

I think anyone considering a Dr Z amp should listen to a Galaxie before making the final decision. I used to own a Maz Sr and sold it off - great amp just not the sound for me. I now have a Galaxie and it's the best sounding amp I've ever played. Plus, it's very versatile being dual channel.

I think you will find all the Z amps are pretty darn loud. Plenty of folks with Maz Jr's use attenuaters. IMO, if you want a Z amp, factor a Z Airbrake into the price - you won't regret it. Then, you can pick the Z amp that sounds right to you and, if it's a beast ( like the Mazerati GT I just ordered ;) ) you can tame it with the Airbrake (or the attenuater of your choice).

Good luck, and do check out the Dr Z forum. It's a very friendly place with LOTS of knowledgeable folks.

18. bilbal

bilbal Member

The Galaxie is definitely a great amp. I have owned mine on two different occasions. The clean channel is killer but the second channel takes some getting use to. Without a master volume, it's very hard to tame unless you have an attenuator. It, like most Zs is a loud mutha. The reason I suggested the Maz was mainly because of the master volume and the fact that you can really play any style of music with it. The best advise I suppose would be to go check out as many as possible and make your decision from there.

Good luck,
    b

19. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I've had a KT45 and a Rt66 and while both did sound very good I could never get them happening in a band setting. Also could never dial out a piercing, tiring top end in either of them, although the 66 was a little easier on ther ears. Didn't matter what tubes, bias, speakers - always something wierd in the top end.

Now I love my Bad Cats. I guess they just suit my ears better.

20. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

Definitely check out the Z forum. I have a Maz and a Ghia, and both are just great, great amps. Maz is slightly more versatile, but the Ghia would be my desert island choice (if the island had AC) because I just love THAT voice. Big, fat tones, push em over the top with an OD. I think you're gonna love practically any Z.