Dr. Z Prescription ES: Info please?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rawkguitarist, Mar 7, 2008.

1. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

For some reason not much info on this amp here on TGP. I'm needing a larger amp for my stable. I'm interested in several.

VHT Pitbull 45
    Budda Superdrive 30 and 45
    And Dr. Z Prescription ES

Mostly, can the Prescription ES get loud clean. Specifically clean, louder than my TopHat Club Royales (about 18 watts EL84s).

And what's the ES's thang? Mid gain? Marshally, Voxey? I've even heard it could be Trainwreck'ish?

2. Stratosphere

Stratosphere Member

I've tried one a couple times and it does loud very well for 45 watts. Probably have to push it pretty hard to get it to break up a lot. Played through a Z-Best cab it has a lot of presence - it gets in your face. Good strong low end too. They let me turn it up to one o'clock for a bit. It was hard-to-talk-to-the-other-customers loud at that point. Still a lot of headroom going on there. I played a few nice amps the couple times I've tried it, Bogners, Bad Cat, but none of them seemed to produce that presence.

The ES is for Extra Strength for when you switch on the overdose boost. More gain, more loud. I've thought about getting a Jr. someday. I really liked the ES but it was too loud for my purposes - it would have to be blasting to really get the grind out of it. The RX Jr. is only about 15 watts and is supposed to have a great master volume.

I'm in line for an AXE-FX but I'm still thinking about picking up a Jr. too. I don't know if it does the Wreck thing, but maybe a little of the Dumble? Never played one of those, but others might have an opinion on that. It really seemed to have its own sound.

3. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

4. Harrison0811

Harrison0811 Supporting Member

Hi there, the RX es, has been my main amp for most of the year. It 's clean can get extremely loud before it starts to break up. Which is what I love about it.
    The overdose adds a bit of edge to it, especially when you plug into the low input, it starts to get very chimey. plug into the hi input with the OD and it gets more dirt, but you really do need to turn it up loud to get it out. It is more mid gain - a marshall/vox mix. I've yet to play a tophat so I can not compare, but it is 45 watts which probably has a lot more headroom than your 18 watts.

5. fender tele

fender tele Member

There is a Prescription ES head & 2 x 12 cab for sale at Z talk. The guy's name is Ferguson6552. He's had it for sale here, also. I've never done any dealings w/him, but I know he's a heckuva nice guy, just from pm'ing him. I was interested in that very amp, but it's out of my price range, as most things are these days.

6. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Thanks for the info fender tele. Unfortunately I can't view it without having a posting history over there. But, I'm really just getting info right now. I'm not going to be ready to buy for a few months. I've got a Koll on the way!:dude Should be ready in the next few weeks.

I'm encouraged that the RX ES has good headroom. And the fact that it's a Marshall/Vox flavor. Since I would describe my TopHat's similarly, that's cool. I want something slightly different, but still not so far off it feels foreign to me.

Seems like from some posts here, it's a pretty clean amp. Which is really what I'm after. I get my dirt from usually an Eternity or a BJF Dyna Red Distortion.

7. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

my brother has this amp and it sounds really nice.

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I listened to the sound samples of Brad Paisley on the Dr. Z site. Although the EQ characteristics of the amp are great, it seemed to sound quite loose for my taste. Maybe it's cause they have it quite cranked or maybe it's the speakers.

Would you guy's consider it a looser sounding amp?

9. kingink

kingink Gold Supporting Member

Hey, sorry for stumbling on this thread late, but based on my experience with my Maz Sr., I can't imagine that the RxES is loose. In fact, some folks criticize Z amps for being too tight, though that "tightness" is exactly what I love about
    my Maz. I did briefly try an RxES in a guitar shop once, and it seemed plenty tight, though admittedly I didn't turn it up very loud. But at a low setting on the volume, it was way loud and clean.

10. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Loose is not the word that comes to mind with regard to that amp. Lots of chime, presence, and headroom.

11. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

seems more vox meets dumble than anything. or atleast that is what dr z says about it. the wreck-ish would be the mazerati gt.

Jordan

12. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Killer amp. Plenty of clean headroom. You need a good overdrive like the xotic BB or RC to get it to really grind. It's my only Dr. Z keeper after several other Zs. :hiP

13. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Dr Z now makes an RXES Jr with 15 watts and a master volume. With the right speakers this amp could overpower a 40 watt amp with less efficient speakers. I haven't tried one yet but on Z Talk the guys are lovin' it!
    With the regular RXES if you plug in the low input and have the boost off, it has tons of clean headroom. More than most of the other Zs in fact.

14. benttop

benttop Member

I have the RXES and the RXJr. Both sound exactly the same, so the main difference is the 45 watts vs 15, and the Jr has a master volume.

The RXES without an attenuator is a real clean amp unless you get to earbleed levels of volume. With an attenuator so you can crank it up, and turn on the OD, it has a ton of gain. It's really a very versatile amp because of this. You can choose to use it as a clean amp, a crunchy amp, or a high gain amp. And so far no one here as mentioned the main characteristic of the Prescription amps - they are extremely percussive. The attack is the best of any amp I've played.

I doubt my sound clips will help you decide for sure, but I've recorded a load of them and put them up on my gear test page. I tend to be more of a gain player, so there are a lot of examples of this, but there's some clean stuff too, including an A/B with the Stingray using Golds. That was all clean. In addition, the attenuator test I did here last year was all RXES, and all clean, so you can get a bit of a feel for what that sounds like (that test is hosted on my gear page too). Most of that stuff is Tele playing, so if you're looking for big fat jazz guitar stuff, just ignore the links... :)

RXES: http://www.gear.strayca.com/rxes.htm

RXJr: http://www.gear.strayca.com/rxjr.htm

15. bilbal

bilbal Member

I just got a Prescription ES this afternoon and rehearsed with it tonight. Like all of the Dr. Zs I have either owned or demo'd, this amp is extremely cool. Dr. Z's eqs are like nothing I have ever had with any other amp. The slightest manipulation has a profound affect on the amps tone. The Overdose mode is just plain awesome. It really makes the amp stand up and bark at ya. I don't believe I turned it off once at rehearsal. It just makes the amp bigger - if that makes any sense. I really like this amp a lot. My only question is, what took me so long to discover this little gem?

Bill

16. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

I owned one for a year, but eventually sold it
    because it had a brightness that couldn't be
    dialed out. Some people like this about Z's but
    I found it to be grating.

17. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

The brightness/harshness is something to get used to maybe...Z's are very tight amps response wise...but the thing I liked about the MAZ when I had one was how it cut through in a band setting...mine seemd to like humbuckers better than single coils...they do have a sound of their own. You need to just have one for a while to really see if it is your bag. I plan on playing some more if I ever make down to Fat Sound.

18. Gretsch6120

Gretsch6120 Member

I bought one because I wanted that clean headroom, my ghia just didn't do it, I will have to agree with most when I first got it and tried it out it was pretty bright, but after months for messing around I got it where I could handle it. I use an airbrake and a set of old green backs in a closed back cab and it seemed to (to my ears) take away some of the harshness. I changed my preamp tubes to a set of nos binmars, I have read too that changing the rectifier tube can also change the sound. I haven't tried it yet but it might be worth it but overall its a great amp and works well with my les pauls and teles

19. scriptphase

scriptphase Member

I've had one. Great amp, but not for me as I didn't have an attenuator at the time (a mistake on my part). A little Voxish, but with its own vibe for sure. Outstanding clean tones with tons of headroom. Insanely loud like most Dr. Z amps. No MV, so you'd need an Airbrake (or other attenuator) to get the most out of it. Absolutely a necessity to have an attenuator, maybe even moreso than any amp in the Dr. Z lineup. Although it does have lots of headroom, once you crank it to its upper limit there's a ton of gain available. Sounds nothing like the Brad Paisley soundclips on the site, which has been the subject of much debate. Benttop's soundclips of the amp are outstanding (as always) and right on the money as a good representation. Check those out. Oh yeah, Tracii Guns is using an entourage of RXES for LA Guns' latest tour. Not the Z amp I would've thought he'd pick, but I'm sure he's making it work for him.

From the Z forums: [​IMG]

[​IMG]