Dr. Z Prescription ES or somethin' else? Please help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by teleking36, Jan 2, 2006.

1. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I'm ready to jump on a Dr. Z RX ES head, but I'd really like to know what competes with it in terms of price and sound. I think $1600 is a great price compared to some of the other boutique amps out there right now, and the sound really fits me. But at the same time I'm very interested in trying out the 65 London and maybe the Tophat King Royale, if I can find either of those. I've heard excellent things about the London and have the urge to give it a shot.

Are there any amps I should consider before buying the Prescription ES? Please help!!

I also really don't want to go for anything over $2000, but I'm willing to sacrifice more cash for more tone.

2. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

just buy the RXES. it's one rockin mean machine!

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

seriously,

its an awesome amp. :dude

4. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

Had the TopHat KR, went to the TopHat CR, ended up at the RX and lovin' it!

5. teleking36

seems like the RX ES is the way to go!

6. Ogre

Ogre Member

The RX ES is an excellent amp. The 65 London is also an excellent amp. Having played both, here's my 2 cents: The RX ES has more headroom and a bit stouter sound. It also leans to the bright side tonewise. I had to cut the treble WAY back. The 65 London gets into a pleasing overdrive at lower volume levels. It also has two distinctly voiced channels. The left side is Marshally, and the right side is Voxy. It would be hard to go wrong with either.

7. B Vance

B Vance Member

...at twice the price of the RxEs. The 65 is currently one of my favorites too, but if they were my dollars I would go with the RxEs. For what you get it is very difficult to beat the price on any of the Z amps in my opinion.

8. TDavis

TDavis Member

I use an RxES and this amp "covers" alot of ground...I do the house band thing and we do everything from country to rock, and I've had more compliments on the tone of this amp, from fellow musicians, than any other amp I've owned.

9. Valvetrain

Valvetrain Member

if the east of eden tunes are reflective of your work, i'm wondering if EL84's are the right output tubes... what were the demo tunes recorded with?? have you ever tried a 5E3 Deluxe with 6V6's?? One of mine, Victoria's, Ludo Pierson's... doesn't matter... you stuff sounds more rounded to me than the basic nature of EL84's allows... all the amps mentioned above are really killer amps, but there's a distinct difference between 84's and 6V's... just a thought...

10. teleking36

thanks for checkin' out the link valvetrain. East Of Autumn is my dad's band. I just try to push his website around for exposure. He's actually running his guitars through a Gibson GA-30RV Combo (EL84s, 10" and 12" speakers). His main axe is a Fender '52RI tele, but he also used a Custom Shop Texas Special Tele w/strat pickup configs. His sound is definitely a little more rounded, but he's very interested in the 6V6 amps. He's not a gearhead like myself, so anything he learns is usually through me, and after talking to him about maybe adding another amp, he was very interested in a Fender tweed reissue, like a '57 Twin. I told him about Victoria and how they cover a lot of ground in the 6V6/6L6 categories. I'd like to hear him through a few other amps.

As for myself, I love EL84 sound. I'm a lead player but I play a lot of different styles of music, and usually have to cover a lot of ground dynamically. My original work (myself and Mat Gibson - reference to 2nd link) tends to lean toward a Ryan Adams/Wallflowers/Counting Crows/Wilco vibe, which I feel that an EL84 can usually handle. An AC30 really fits my sound, but I want something a little more updated and unique, and I love the Dr.'s design, tone, and of course price.

As much as I would love to try and potentially buy a London 65, I think the RX ES is my kind of amp for many more reasons than any other amp out there. I just wanted some reassurance before I get impulsive and make a move without at least playing the field. Thanks for your inputs, and please keep them coming if there are more out there.

11. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i havent played the rx es but i have played the original rx. awesome amp. i wanna hear what the stingray is like when that comes out.

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I love my Ghia... I've had it for about 5 years or so... great amp.

13. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

Matt
    I love your 2 songs, I definety hear an AC30 to rock those tunes

BTW, I just got an RXes and think is great, fits me better than the Divided by 13, which is great amp too

14. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

hey teleking, try and find a used one if you can. sometimes they pop up on ebay. i was lucky enough to find my RXES one bay for $1000 with a "buy it now" option! so i went for it. the seller had just put it on ebay and i snagged it before anyone else did. this was probably 8-10 months ago but every now and then you may see one.
    there an excellent value used because if you end up not liking it you usually can get your money back since they're tough to find(used).

and everyday i play it i am reminded of how much i like it. i'm using a 57 lp special(original) through a harry joyce 2x12 cab with 100 watt scholz speakers and i'm in love. i was playing the head through two heritage 30 watt celestions but i like the feel and tone of the hj cab with scholz speakers.

and i just plug straight most of the time and if i do use a pedal it's just a klon for a boost. it's a real plug n play amp. and for $1000 it's probably the best deal i've had!

15. Madison

Madison Member

The RxEs is my fifth and favorite Dr Z. Love it. One thing with the new models is the pedal operated overdose. This is the best "boost" I've heard on any amp. The clip "Lyles Blues" is a minute long recording I did of the RxES into a Z 2x12 cab loaded with Weber Blue/Silver alnicos...Telecaster. Btw, no overdose was engaged for this clip, just kicked in a Zendrive for the solo. Also I was plugged into the low gain channel. Normally I'm on the high gain channel with the overdose on and just work the Tele volume knob, but "tamed" it down some this time for a better recording.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=346841

16. myles111

myles111 Member

All three amps are very different.

The RxES has almost three times the wattage of the London and a very different front end.

The Top Hat is a great amp but also different.

I have a bit on the RxES and it's development at

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/zpaisley-rx.html

As a side note on that page, which I need to update .... Chad Weaver is Brad's tech now and Jody is Gary's tech.

[​IMG]