Dr Z Prescription ES speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by roushc, May 11, 2005.

1. roushc

roushc Guest

I just brought home this beautiful new head and while it sounds great through my Z-Best cab (V30 & G12H30), I've been jonesing for some hardcore speaker experimentation lately.

If there are any Prescription ES users out there, what have you been using for speakers? I'd really likely to play around with Greenbacks and the new Scumback H30 replicas, but I'm not sure of what configuration to try out. I would definitely want to keep the 2x12" aspect the same...but as far as open vs closed back, or combination of speakers, I'm open for recommendations.

It IS an amazing amp by the way...

2. Stephen Davis

Stephen Davis Member

I have an ES, and I work for a Z dealer when I am off the road. You have THE cab for that amp, IMHO. But, we did get one 2x12 combo with Blues in it that sounded really bright. I heard the guy that got it wore the speakers in a bit and the amp sounds killer. I would say keep what you have, and try a G12h/Blue combo also.

I use mine with a THD style cab with 2 V30's because I don't need to drop the cash on the Z Best.

Rabbit

3. nateco

nateco Member

I use them in my Z best with my MAZ Sr...love those speakers with that amp.

4. tray999

tray999 Guest

roushc,

I have the same combo as you and I am currently thinking about a having Scumbag Amps build me a 2X12 cab with a new SA-12M-75 and a new SA-12M-55 in it.

I just love this amp, hit the boost switch and I am in tone heaven!!! I have heard reports that the RXES sounds killer thru the Dr's own 4X10 cab, but I have not personally tried it yet.

5. BountyHuntr

BountyHuntr Member

I have the RxEX 2x12 combo with greenbacks... funny... the post by Stephen saying the Blues in one cab sounded bright. I was thinking of switching mine to Blues... because it is very bright. I have to have treble on maybe 2, mids on 4+, and bass on 8 1/2. Not sure this is normal but to my ears the amp is very very bright and tight... Any suggestions??? Thanks

6. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I can help a little bit here with this. I've got a pretty bright amp head, Gibson Super Goldtone GA-30RVH (quad el 84's), and I set it up to tame the highs, too.
    My settings are Bass=10, Mids=8, Treble =2 on the gain channel, same on the clean channel, but the treble gets to 4-5.

This amp has some nice cleans, and OD, but it was a little too bright with two 75hz G12H type speakers & I wanted some more lows & low mids. I took out one 75hz and put a 55hz speaker in there to add the lows back in, and got where I wanted to go with the voicing of that amp. The cab I use is one of my 2x12 combos or the adjustable back extension cab.

Here's a couple of things to try before buying new speakers. See if you can dampen your treble by changing settings. If that doesn't do it, closing up the back of your open back cab with foam is an inexpensive way to play with "adjusting" your bass response. Typically, the more closed you make it, the more bass you introduce to your tone. At that point the M speakers will exhibit more low end, and this may get you to your tonal happiness. If not, going with H magnet speakers will get you more lows, whether it's closed or open back.

I run the 55/75 combination for another reason, it's a nice balance with my Les Paul and my Strat for live playing. The LP doesn't get too woofy, and the Strat gets some more lowend to make it sound fuller.

7. BountyHuntr

BountyHuntr Member

I have a good size sheet of 1 1/2 high density foam I could cut a piece to fit... I'll try that 1st .... thanks for the tip!!

8. roushc

roushc Guest

Hmmm...maybe I like bright amps, but so far I haven't even felt the need to move the EQ knobs out of their center positions. I feel like such a minimalist sometimes...I just plug into the low input (overdose off) and crank up the volume to about 6-7. Perfect for my Fender CS Tele Jr...no pedals either except the occasional delay. Just huge, room-filling, articulate, and tonally-balanced rock action.

I still have a craving for some greasy Greenback goodness though...maybe I'll just get a 2x12" from Avatar to satiate my appetite on a tighter budget.

9. PerryR

PerryR Supporting Member

Z really likes the H30 V30 combo with his amps.. in a genral way.. but for the RX ES, Z REALLY likes Greenbacks. Crank the amp and they fit very well together.

10. roushc

roushc Guest

Interesting...

I have actually been thinking about picking up a 4x12" from Avatar loaded with Greenbacks. I played my first show last weekend with the RX ES and something about the head just makes me want to throw it into a 4x12" and crank it up.

11. myles111

myles111 Member

I use a Z-Best cab and a Marshall 4x12 at times.

I love the way Brad Paisley's sound though through open back 2x12s.

12. Stephen Davis

Stephen Davis Member

Hey there Zac, what have you been up to?

Rabbit

13. capkutay

capkutay Member

How would the rxes sound with a greenback and g12h30?

Also, is it a bad idea to buy used speakers? new blues are a little pricey for me

14. FuzzOff

FuzzOff Member

Weber Alnico Blue Dogs sound wonderful with this amp