Dr. Z Prescription ES

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by teleking36, Nov 29, 2005.

1. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

Anyone had any experience with these?!? They look so promising for my style of music, and I've been considering purchasing one sight unseen. I just want to know if there are any alternatives out there for around the same price. I'm aiming for a head/cab setup too.

I love a good AC30, but I'd like something more portable and a little more reliable. Bad Cat was an option, but now is gone in my realization that I will not be able to generate the funds to purchase one.

I also played the Mazerati, when told I would come close to the sound of the Prescription ES, but owners have said that they are two completely different animals. The Mazerati sounded great, but wasn't versatile. I'd like to be able to tweak my sound from time to time, and the RX ES has a better EQ.

Anyways, any input would really be appreciated. I am recording an album in January and want a good amp to record and gig with.

Also, does anyone know the best place to buy a Dr. Z???

2. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    i talked to Myles Rose about this amp & got the same impression (vs. Maz) & it was very high on my list. first place i'd think of to buy or even get advice on diffs is Fat Sound Guitars .

:cool:

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

http://www.davesguitar.com/

:dude Tell him Al sent you.............;)

4. macula56

macula56 Silver Supporting Member

+1 for Fat Sound. Stu is great.

5. Madison

Madison Member

The RxES is my fifth, and favorite Z. More balls & girth than the Jr, 28 or Ghia...more drive available (w/overdose) than the Sr. It's a bright amp so with the treble up to noon it has plenty of top end chime with single coils, more thunderous bottom than the 28, and of course all Z's have that sweet midrange.

I never see them on Ebay, so you'd probably have to buy new...but at least the new ones have a footswitch for the overdose.

Mine is sitting on an open back with Webers, silver & blue...doesn't get much better:D

6. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

7. Tarv

Tarv Member

Bump, I'd like to hear some more info about this amp as well.

I already know that the clean sounds are to die for...

But I'd realy like to know how much gain is on tap when those el84's are realy cook'n! will the overdose take you into plexi/superlead territory?

8. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))

here's Myles' Prescription page . i don't think plexi when i hear this, but maybe some. a KT-45 might be closer to that. Brad P. is a heckuva player, but you have to imagine what he'd sound like w/a strat or a paul or guitar-of-your-choice-if-you're-not-a-tele-guy.

:cool:

9. Tarv

Tarv Member

Thanks, but I have read that already....

What I mean by the plexi statement was the level of gain, not the tone. I played an old prescription a few years back and it was awesome, kinda like an ac30 chime with a marshall punch. I should have bought one back then, but for some reason I thought I needed a clean and dirty channel... Now i've done a complete 180 and have become a better player and would prefer the simplicity of a single channel amp with a boost (like the rxes :D) and get the tones out my hands and volume knob.

I just need to find one and play it......argh

10. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

Well, since you asked:D : I'm about to list a vitually new head for sale on the emporium. Shoot me a PM or email for info.

Ray

11. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

that's a good general description of the RXES. i'm in love with mine. i keep looking for other amps online but everytime i plug into the RXES i realize why i love it. i've sold a bunch of amps including a tonemaster, vintage orange, a germino lead 55, a kt 45, and a 73 marshall 50 watter.
    i just love the extreme clarity this amp has. the cleans are stellar! that's why i picked over the kt45. the cleans have a great chime. and when you turn it up this amp roars. lots of low end(if you want it). the tone controls are very useable. if you want a more agressive sound you can turn the mids up past noon. but if you want more of a fender type(non mid) sound you can just roll the mids down.

i've upgraded mine with a bunch of nos tubes but it should still sound great even with the stock ones.

another great thing about this amp is it's responsiveness. you can turn the amp up real loud but still play clean if you pick lightly. and when you want some crunch just smack a power chord!

12. Tarv

Tarv Member

Thanks Laurencer83,

Thats exactly what I want to hear, I was worried that the Paisley influence would mean that Z tamed down the aggressive vibe of the original RX.

What speakers are you guys using with your rxes? anyone try it with a Z 2x10 or 4x10?

13. osostrings

osostrings Supporting Member

Aside from the Weber blue/silver comment, what speakers are you folks using for the RxES?

I've got the head version and it's going through the Z-Best 2x12" loaded w/ a Vintage 30 and a G12H30. It sounds huge...thunderous low end and all that...but, it seems to me that there is a bit of harshness in the upper mids that I credit the Vintage 30 with. I'm really interested in trying the Weber combo and getting some alnico magic happening as well.

14. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

i think Z prefers greenbacks with the RXES.

i have a pair of the newer celestion heritage G12H 30 watters in a 2x12 orange cab. it sounds great. but what sounds even better is when i play through the orange 2x12 and my harry joyce 2x12(100 watt scholz's)!!!! it's a monsterous sound. i can't go back to playing through just one cab!
    the orange speakers and the hj speakers match well. the celestions are more focused on the low end and low mid area where as the scholz speakers are more hi fi sounding(in a good way). the lows of the celestions and the highs of the scholz make a full sounded assault on the senses!

oh, by the way, don't be worried about lack of aggressivness. this baby has ton of it(if you want it). keep it mind it is loud so you do have to turn it up to get some gain. but you can always use a good pedal(i use a klon) to get some overdrive.

15. CPA

CPA Member

I have a question for all Prescription es owners. I recently purchased one and am messing around with nos tubes for it. What are you guys putting in and have you changed the 2nd stage tube to something else?

:eek: