Dr Z Prescription Jr...Too much Bass

jhansenku

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Dr Z prescription jr head that I picked up on Craig's list. It seems too have a lot more bass then I sm used to. I'm running the mids and treble around noon and have the bass at 9 o clock. It still sounds like too much bass. I'm used to running my bass controls on previous amps around 1 o'clock. I'm using an open back custom cab with a 1 x 12 WGS ET 65. Just curious, could this be a tube issue? Any other ideas or is this amp just bass heavy? Thx

Budman2k

Not sure if you have a tube problem but I've played a few Prescriptions and never found them bass heavy. Usually pretty bright. What guitar are you using?

jhansenku

Silver Supporting Member
I'be tried 3 different guitars. Couple of Tele style and a Doozy. I think I'm just not used to running the bass control that low. I should rely on my ears and not my eyes. Don't get me wrong, this amp is blowing me away! I'm loving the overdose engaged and volume know around 9 o'clock. Master then to how loud I want it. Man the sound is so harmonic and alive. I'm using pedals for overdrive. Great amp!

mangoman

Gold Supporting Member
Move the cab, try some new tubes. That is one of my all time Dr z favorite amps

jhansenku

Silver Supporting Member
What tubes do you recommend for replacements? I believe Dr Z uses groove tubes I read somewhere? I can't figure out why Dr Z quit making this amp!
I'll try moving the cab away from wall, makes sense! Actually I have the convertible 1x12 cab and I put the back piece on it to make it closed back and it sounds amazing that way! Lots of punch!

dictio

Turn bass down to zero, then dial up to taste. After 9 o' clock the bass doesn't increase much more anyway.

Trending Topics