Dr. Z question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JMarck, Apr 29, 2008.

1. JMarck

JMarck Member

Is the MAZ Jr. loud enough in a band setting, or would it be smarter to go for the Sr.? Looking for some headroom, but not so much. I'd rather crank it and just juice it even more with OD pedals. Any opinions?

--Josh

2. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

Depends on how loud your stage volume is and if you mic to the FOH system. I've played several parties with a guy who has the junior and it's plenty loud for a blues band using moderate stage volume and micing the amp to the FOH mix. We had a four piece band and a vocalist using a harp and the maz was just as easily heard as my 40 watt head cab combination. Most of the stuff was fairly clean and he used an overdrive pedal for more dirt when needed. For smaller clubs unmic'd the maz junior should be plenty unless you need Twin Reverb clean at fairly high volume. I hope this helps a little.

3. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

I use my Maz Jr alongside Super Reverbs on a big stage all the time and it hangs just fine. The Sr. will stay cleaner louder; the Jr. will get into the sweet spot and stay there.

4. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

Easy, I, ve heard my Maz 18 210 played unmiked by a buddy while another guitarist cranked an old 50 watt Traynor thru a 412 cab. The Maz cut thru just fine

5. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

The Maz Jr is loud. More than that, it's *firm*. The effective volume in a band situation is more than you think thanks to how well it's sound holds together. It doesn't mush out like a lot of lower power amps do.

You'd have to be playing pretty big rooms for the Jr. not to cut it.

Of course, some of it has to do with the speakers you're using too.

6. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Unless the band is really loud the Maz18 does fine.

7. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

I sold my MAZ 18 Jr. because it was TOO loud, or maybe too "punchy", for some of the smaller clubs. Sound man kept turning it down (very annoying).

It seems weird, but I prefer my MAZ 38 Invasion over the Jr. It just seems the 38 gets a better sound at lower volume. Maybe it's the Greenbacks.

8. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

It'll be loud enough unless your band is really loud. I've had great success with one for years in many venues. Currently I am playing with a really loud drummer, a bassist with SVT rig and another guitarist with a 100 watt head and 4x12. I have to admit with these guys I am pushing the amp a little too hard, and tending to use a 50W amp now instead of the Maz18. But the fact is we are too loud for most clubs now and that's the problem, not the Dr. Z.

9. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I use mine live all the time - with an attenuator ... it's loud.

10. frmorales52

frmorales52 Member

I A/B'ed both in the store. I played the Jr. first. Then set the controls the same on a Sr. (except for volume) and hit one chord. That was all I needed. I bought the Sr.

I think I can hear the difference bigger iron makes- regardless of the volume.

Frank

11. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

Define clean. If you mean spanky, dead nuts, shimmering clean it will not cut it unless your drummer plays on coffee cans. If you mean punchy clean, with grit, then you can definately use it for clubs.

I prefer the Maz 38 myself, to each their own ... Dr. Zs amps drip tone ..

12. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I had both a Maz Jr 1X12 and a Carmen Ghia 2X10. They were both really loud amps. I never had a problem with either on outside gigs. The bass holds together really well. I was especially impressed with how much good bass there was in the 2X10 Ghia. The Maz will stay clean longer than the Ghia.

13. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Like many have said- the Maz Jr can be loud, and if you're mic'ing it, there shouldn't be any issues. If you run any kind of clean boost into it, it can really get loud. It sounds like a 30-50w amp when I run a FDII on non-compressed mode.

14. Scooter

Scooter Member

Combine it with a super efficient speaker like an Eminence Wizard and it's even louder.

15. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

Plenty loud enough for band setting.

16. motis1953

motis1953 Member

I played through a Maz Jr. 2-10" reverb this Sunday at a jam with a bunch of heedela-heedela players and it was probably the ballsiest amp there. Great little amps.

17. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Never had a clean headroom issue with mine...usually the opposite! It's a very loud, punchy amp and I rarely get to open it up enough, only unmic'ed in the very largest venues.