Dr. Z Remedy VS Winfield Thomas Winfield

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mab, Dec 21, 2009.

1. mab

mab Member

Looking for a little advice here. I'm in the market for a new head that I can use for my blues/rock-style gigs. I want relatively low wattage (preferably with a half-power switch for flexibility), Marshall-esque foundation that will have a lot of drive and body but good note definition. I currently use a Deluxe Reverb with ODs stacked to high heaven in order to get thick, rich sustain. I'd love to be able to get that tone from one OD into a driven amp. For reference, think Grissom, Larry McCray, and Warren Haynes types of lead tone.

I've had Zs in the past and really enjoyed them, though wished there was more gain on tap. The Remedy looks like a great fit for me but I haven't been able to sample one in person. Based on the good reviews here and elsewhere, I've started thinking about the Winfield amps. Good set of features and the price is right. Might just be an issue of choosing between 6v6s and EL84s...

Unfortunately, price is an issue. The Remedy at $1,500 is probably the top of my range. Would appreciate any advice, testimonials, or other input on this question. Thanks!

2. guit_lar

guit_lar Member

Bump for this. I'd like to hear some input on this also, particularly re the Winfield.

3. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Try the Mazerati GT too, if you need more gain on tap.

4. mmorse

mmorse Member

Can't speak to the Remedy but I did have a "Winfield." It's similar to a 2061x. Good for blues and rock if you use a pedal. The little sucker is still loud at the 18 watt setting. I'm not a big EL84 fan and I ended up selling it but it was a nice little amp and it was built well.

I thought it sounded better on the 36 watt setting and being a NMV, it needed to get rather loud before breaking up. The internally jumped channels provided a variety of tones through the use of it's two volumes pots. IMO, it's more of a blues amp than a pure hard rocker. Of course, YMMV.