DR Z route 66 clean headroom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kurt1981, Feb 27, 2015.

1. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Hey all, got a possible trade for a DR. Z route 66 head, and wondering how much clean headroom I can expect from it with single coils? I'd like something I can run clean and use pedals for overdrive, would this amp work in that context, or is there too much gain in the circuit?
    Thanks,
    Kurt

2. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

It's a loud amp that has to be pushed pretty hard to break up. If you are in a situation that you can dime it though (WAY too loud for most bands) it is a sound to behold.

3. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Lots of clean headroom. Very loud to get the amp's goods, but also a great pedal platform.

4. kurt1981

thanks guys, think I might go for it, I'd be trading a tweed deluxe clone for it.
    Kurt

5. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Definitely a good pedal platform - but seriously try to play it when its breaking up. You'll dump your dirt pedals!

6. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

Pay attention for problems with ghost notes. Its a pretty well known problem on the Rt66 and easy to hear if its present. I had one where it was not an issue. A friend's was terrible.

7. Roccorobb

Roccorobb Member

This is one of those 'magic amps' -- one that I remember the room I was in the first time I heard it. It is truest a closet classic if you ask me

8. playthecray

playthecray Member

I am curious what the experiences are using humbuckers? I have read that the amp favors single coils.

9. Baconator

Baconator Member

AFAIK the problem with ghost notes was limited to the early models referred to as the "Interstate" version due to the shape of the sign on the faceplate. I have an Interstate and never had an issue with ghost notes, but perhaps I just don't play it loud often enough to notice.

10. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

My favorite Z...

Lots of clean headroom IMO

The ghost note issue was apparently resolved with additional filtering (not sure when though)

My only hesitation about buying one... The EF86 preamp tube. I've never had good luck with them!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  11. MERKS

MERKS Supporting Member

I had an early one, ghost notes and all and loved it. Wish I never traded it away. Never understood the issue with the ghost notes. As far as I can recall they always seemed to land nicely in the context of what I was playing while adding a certain "ghostly element" of intrigue to the sound.

12. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

The cleans are "thick" and will match nicely with single coil pickups.

13. Muffin Sounds

Muffin Sounds Member

I have a 335 and that's all I played through my RT66 when I had it. At home levels it was clean, but at band practice, I couldn't keep it clean. Which was fun bc I would just use my volume knob to get more cleans, but ultimately, not what I wanted. I found that I would have to turn the treble up, adding gain to the circuit, to make it not so boomy and dark. If I played more rock music, that thing would have been a beast. I cans definitely see why single coils would work better with it.

14. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

I'm going to disagree about the headroom. The Rte 66's headroom is entirely dependent upon the Treble and Bass settings and the pickups. Gain is added to the signal and the Treble and Bass knobs are above 12:00. With HB's the amp easily break ups by 9:00 on the volume dial. Especially if the Treble is above 2:00 which with HB's it needs to be as its a darkish amp. Single coils will obviously give a bit more headroom but not that much more. A lot of that has to do with the EF86 preamp tube. So inwould not consider the Rte 66 to be an amp with headroom. Especially at band level volumes.

I loved the Rte 66 and will get another one someday. But if I would not consider it am amp with a ton of headroom. And it's loud as hell to boot. It does take oedals like a champ though.

15. DR.Z

DR.Z Gold Supporting Member

Problem was resolved years ago.
    No longer an issue, increased filtration and aliasing notes disappeared.
    Only bothered some, loud volume, hard pedal driven into Celestion speakers accentuated the FREE " Fire and Water " tone.

The RT 66 was the winner of the first Guitar Player Editors Pick Award Jan. 1999, just sayin.

DR.Z

16. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Well, it's not a plain clean amp like a Twin or something.
    Dr Z's reach this magic point where they have some breakup behind them to give a very full tone. But they still take pedals very well and are very dynamic to your volume knob.

And keep in mind it also depends on your cab selection. Playing through a 1X12, of course you're going to get early breakup because it won't be as loud as a 4x12. With a 4X12 or with effiecent speakers, you'll be able to keep the volume knob lower, hence more clean.

I don't see why people want sparkly clean amps though. Light gain is where it's at and Z does it very well :aok

17. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

+1 My experience exactly. A truly fantastic amp.

18. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

Great, great amp. The 5e3 clone trade is a no-brainer. Do it and never look back. I like 5e3s too.

19. straightblues

straightblues Member

+1. I have a 5E3 clone to trade if you aren't going to do the deal. That is a no brainer. The Route 66 is a great amp.

20. kurt1981

You guys are making me really want this to happen!! I do like the clean thing though as I do a lot of R&B type funky stuff, so a good clean platform is essential. I guess if it doesn't work, I can always flip it. I'm gonna try and go for it. I'd be running a 2x12 cab with this head, can it run a 4 ohm load? I couldn't seem to find impedence info in the online manual.