Dr. Z Stingray #17 = My all-time favorite amp, ever! (Updated w/pic)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tele_jas, Sep 2, 2016.

1. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Probably in this order:
    StangRay - slightly more modern take
    Z-Wreck - more classic, but meaner
    Mazerati - like the normal channel
    RxES - more Vox meets Marshall (a very bright amp)
    Maz 18/38 - can get pretty close to all of these, plus an AC30, Fender Deluxe, and touch on a Marshall 18w
    Honorable mention - Ghia...I found it more Marshall 18w than Vox, but definitely some Vox in there.

While the DB4 is close, I found it very dark and stiff compared to all of the ones I listed above.

Butch1970 and Fishyfishfish like this.
  2. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

......and, back to a combo!
    (as of May/June 2019)

[​IMG]

aaronblues, Stormin and TimH like this.
  3. TimH

TimH Supporting Member

Beautiful!

tele_jas likes this.
  4. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Gonna revive this thread by asking if its even worth grabbing a stang ray just to play clean at home. There is one I can get for a decent price and have always been curious about this amp. I do not intend to crank it, just use pedals.

5. Burning Hammer

Burning Hammer Member

I’d say yes. Owned one a few years ago and it had one of the best clean sounds I’ve ever heard, although I remember it being a little picky with overdrive pedals IMHO. Tubescreamer and a Zendrive didn’t work so great for me (could’ve been the cabinet or speakers I was using it with) but a Rat pedal was fantastic.

6. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

IMO - It's the absolute BEST clean tone you'll ever hear! It was once posted on the Dr. Z website that it's like a Grand Piano in a concert hall.... It's just an amazing clean amp!

But, as mentioned above, it can be picky about drive pedals. I found a darker speaker helps out tremendously with this! I ended up with an Alnico Cream and it sounds really good with pedals now. Still has the nice Alnico compression and chime, but a slightly stronger mid-range and rounded off top end. Still a great sounding speaker, just darker and fuller than most other Alnico speakers (Gold, Weber Blue, Celestion blue set, ect...).

7. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

I mainly use a bad cat siamese drive which is a double klon and sometimes a boss sd1

8. Stormin

Stormin Tele's and Plexis Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

When I had mine, I ran it with an open 2x12 loaded with Greenbacks and used an Xotic BB Preamp stacked with an AC Booster. The Ray absolutely rocked like this and cleaned up very well with the guitar volume.

It was a killer rig, just had way too much volume for me to tame. That amp does not play nice with bedroom volumes.