• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Dr. Z Stingray amp

axpro

As far as I can tell, the "stingray" seems to be the euro name being applied to the Prescription ES

Seems to have the same specs. and the ES is designed for Brad.

gls500

Silver Supporting Member
No, it's a different amp than the RX-ES. It's another new amp designed for Brad that he'll be using along with the RX-ES. He was missing some the of the tone that he was getting with his old Vox AC-30, so it's along those lines, but with some new "twists". Controls are Volume, Tone, and Cut, and it's about 33W.

It'll be out next year, from what I hear. Brad's using it now.

gls500

Silver Supporting Member
Red Planet said:
What does Brad use in the Studio?
Everything Dr.Z makes, pretty much.

RX-ES
Ghia
Mini-Z (on nearly every song, from what I've heard)
Maz38
Z28

and to some extent his old AC30.

axpro

DAMN! i was wrong????

as punishment to myself, I'll have to buy ANOTHER Dr Z

it's the only way I'll learn :D

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
I saw Brad play last night and he sounded awesome. From what I've heard he is using the new amp live, along with 4 or 5 other Z's for backup. Check on the Dr. Z forum for more info about Brad's rig. His tech Zac answers a ton of questions over there.

lv

Silver Supporting Member
interesting, Ken Fisher designed output tranformer....

myles111

axpro said:
As far as I can tell, the "stingray" seems to be the euro name being applied to the Prescription ES

Seems to have the same specs. and the ES is designed for Brad.

NO NO NO ....

The Stingray was developed for Brad but is a completely different amp.

The amp has lower plate voltages than the RxEX .... on par with the AC-30. V1 is an EF86 as the Vox AC-30/4. The RxES has a 12AX7 in V1, EF86 in V2, and 12AX7 in V3.

The Stingray has a cut control and no middle control or "overdose" switch.

The amps are different in every way.

There is a lot more info on the Z forum at http://drzamplifiers.proboards41.com

myles111

Shnook said:
I saw Brad play last night and he sounded awesome. From what I've heard he is using the new amp live, along with 4 or 5 other Z's for backup. Check on the Dr. Z forum for more info about Brad's rig. His tech Zac answers a ton of questions over there.

Four or five other Z's .... for backup?

Nope .... more than that and they are all used at various points in the show and sometimes layered. These photos don't even show the amps on stage!

This was before sound check before it was all hooked up.

myles111

TNJ said:
I wonder if Z and Ken are pals?
S.
j

They are very close friends.

Ken also designed the Z Air Brake as a side bit of info.

Ken also says one of his favorite amps is the Carmen Ghia.

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry Myles, I was going by the information Jody Harris gave on the video of BP's stage gear for this tour on Brad's site. In fact, as I re-watched it, he made zero mention of a new Dr. Z amp on this tour. I got that information from the forum on the DR. Z site. The video Jody did showed the Prescription ES head, Delta 88, and Maz 38 as the main amps he's using. I believe he said something about Mazerati combo's on the stage, but they're not miked. I've seen the pics you posted above and they do show a lot more Z's than the video with Jody. Sorry for the confusion. I've read the the Tele for Alcohol is a '52 neck and '57 body. In the video Jody states it's a '53 neck/'56 body. In the end, I guess it doesn't matter. Brad sounds awesome regardless of the guitar/ amp he plays. It's in the fingers.

Trending Topics