Dr. Z Stingray???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jokerjkny, Feb 16, 2006.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

What Say You, Oh' GP?

good, bad, hyped, fun, boring?

2. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I haven't played one but a friend who's ears I trust did and called it "God's amp" afterward. Said it was the best amp he's ever heard with a Strat. Looks like Z is going to have to call it something else though, as he's been hit with a cease and desist order form Music Man on the name. Lots of info about that on the Z forum.

3. bitsandvolts

bitsandvolts Member

Kharma's a bitch, ain't it?

It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!!!

4. ngtubeamper

ngtubeamper Member

I have played all the Z's except this one and they all feel like you are fighting a wall somehow , I think too much input gain resistance ? Somethin ! Great if you don';t gig ??>? Cool cleans but , when they drive alot it just ain't right ! :moon JUST IMHO !

5. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I really like Paisley's clips on the web site. Tell the truth my Mesa Blue Angel (1x12 with Weber) come amazingly close to that tone. Reverbs a bit darker on the Mesa.

I'll bet its a sweet amp tho...
    Bob:cool:

6. ngtubeamper

ngtubeamper Member

No , not gigged with, because I would not buy ! But , put against my gigging amps as well as A Deluxe Reverb Reissue for example , against the Z28 , I kept coming back to the tweaked Deluxe Rev. reish --Z was great but choked in a sense , as for the 66 and 45 , again GREAT clean but if overdriven naturally , just harsh and again IMHO ! Amps and tubes are flavors of Ice Cream !:BEER 66 and 45 vs. JTM45 tweaked reish --Reish wins ! Z28 vs. Dluxe Reverb Reish --Reish wins ! FOR ME ! The Fargen Blackbird destroys the Z28 IMHO !

7. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Just goes to show every amp ain't for everybody. I've got a feeling what you're hearing that you don't dig is the tighness in the bass that all Z amps seem to have. I've had a few and they all have this solid, piano-like bottom end going on. You can turn the bass all the way up and it won't flub out. Sounds like you like a little breakup in the lows (nothing wrong with that) since you mentioned liking a DRRI. By the way, I DO gig with my Maz Sr 112 combo, in fact it's my favorite grab and go amp. Just add a good OD pedal to push it over the top and it can cover a lot of styles. Just for reference I also own a Germino Lead 55, Victoria 50212 and a blackfaced 74 Super Reverb (all equally killer but all different amps) and my Z hangs in there tonally with them. (all IMHO of course :) )

8. ngtubeamper

ngtubeamper Member

I think you totally get me and what I am saying ! Thank you ! I think Brewbeck is a tad angry ? Amps do not have to be gigged with if you have gig reference amps you gig with to:YinYang compare !

9. Heritage

Heritage Gold Supporting Member

He wasn't that nice to me, after owning 5 of his amplifiers brand new.
    The dr. is a dick.

10. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Personally I have a "like/don't so much" like relationship with Dr. Z amps

I had a Maz 38 Invasion and Prescription and thought they were both very cool. Loved the cleans, liked the break up.

When I tried the Maz 38 Sr and 18 Jr. I didn't like them so much, particularly the break up was a bit stiff and hard for my tastes.

When I tried the SRZ65 I liked it - great organic distortion, but the Route 66 was not a fave - too dark for my style

The Stingray seems like a very intriguing amp but I would need to try one. My concern is that it may be an overly dark take on Vox (alot of ac30/4 based amps commit this sin). I don't want painfully chimey but I do want that Vox spankiness to be achievable with humbuckers and single coils rather than just the latter. Anyone with that kind of info on the stingray? Your opinions would be valuable.

An interesting aside, some years ago I was looking for a Dr Z Voxy style amp and emailed the shop to ask what models he could suggest. The reply was 3 words: "get a vox". Now my understanding is the stingray is basically a Vox ac30/4 - so that is interesting...

11. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Dr Z has always given me exemplary service.

Don't see how the slag on Z and Z amps in general are to the topic of the thread.

Please stay to topic. Stingray comments.

Thanks.

12. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I personally don't really care how the amp maker treats me as long as the amp rocks, is built well etc...still it feels better to be treated well, and I could see how if someone felt slighted that there are enough options out there to go elsewhere...
    back to the stingray - can anyone talk about the brightness, bass response, breakup and overall vox vibe?

13. ngtubeamper

ngtubeamper Member

:AOK Thanks for keeping it in perspective Big MIke !
    And no hard feelings Brew ! Let's face it , it's apples and oranges , ya hear what ya hear !

14. Heritage

Heritage Gold Supporting Member

I'm sorry if you were offended brewbeck. Well, not really.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

bb = +1

but hey, i have a few hangups about a few other supposedly beloved manufacturers, so no biggie. it happens, we have our reasons, fuggeaboutit.

"oh crap, " said my wallet.

16. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I'm looking forward to one. I have a Maz18 and am begininng to love it. I'd like a head/cabinet Vox like boutique amp, and the Stingray (or whatever the new name will be) is on my short list, along with the Gabriel Voxer. I have a DC-30, but want one closer to the real thing, without the cheapo speakers and build.

17. Madison

Madison Member

Just picked one up last weekend, made a couple clips here:

Stingray

[​IMG]

18. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I like Z amps. I've owned about 6. With the exception of the Ghia they were all too loud to gig with.

Talked to the Dr. several times. He was always nice to me. Most people are though, I'm fairly charming.

19. Onswah

Onswah Member

I was lucky enough to playBrad Paisley's Sting Ray before the good Doctor sent it out to him and it was incredible! I can't attest to the distortion but the cleans were absolutely to die for. Had I the cash the stingray is the first thing I'd be buying.

20. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

Hey Brother, I liked your clips. Nice earthy sound and good, interesting playing.