Dr. Z Stingrays?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sonofgroceries, May 14, 2006.

1. Has anyone checked out the Dr. Z Stingrays at all?
    I've been thinking about trying one out and I've only heard great things about them.

Share your thoughts.

2. Jray

Jray Gold Supporting Member

I have Stingray #47 2x12 combo on the way. It should've arrived last Friday, but as luck would have it the train was delayed and the Stingray is currently sitting in the Los Angeles UPS hub for the weekend. It should make it's way down to Orange County by Monday and then my house right thereafter. Fingers crossed. I'll post accordingly after I plug in and play the amp for a few days.

3. n.j.

n.j. Member

I've got #49 on the way to me now, it should arrive on Monday, I'll play it until I fall asleep, then wake up and write a short review. I'm psyched.

4. benttop

benttop Member

I have number 25 head here - STINGRAY not Stang Ray - but didn't get a cab with it, so that's on the way. It really likes Alnico speakers. Seems to like the Weber Alnico California I have in my Rivera Sedona, but it HATES my THD 2x12. Weird, because the THD 2x12 sounds great with everything else I have here.

But with the right speakers, the Stingray is amazing. Very complex cleans, and you can get some hair with the volume all the way up. At 30 watts, you might want a tad bit of attenuation, but maybe not. Cuts right through the mix, and sounds great with pedals.

I posted this before, and it was lost in the crash, but someone asked if the Stingray could do the blues so I did this clip: http://www.gear.strayca.com/audio/Stingray/StingrayWideOpen3.mp3

That is Grosh Tele > Humphrey Audio Atom Smasher compressor > Stingray > Airbrake > Weber Alnico California

Atom Smasher all knobs at noon except attack at minimum. Stingray had Cut at noon, Tone at 2 1/2, Volume dimed. H&K Rotosphere II in the loop (you can hear it briefly)

5. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

GREAT sound Steve. Sounds perfect for that type of music and I can imagine many others. Would love to hear some 'indie-rock'/modern pop-rock type of clips with this amp also! Great job and thanks

ERIC

6. benttop

benttop Member

Thanks Eric. You should hear it clean with the Tele bridge pickup - holy crap! The only problem I have is that the articulation is so clear and well defined that every time I try to make a clip, my sloppy playing stands out big time! I gotta go woodshed... :)

7. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

You did just fine! Plus you didn't just post a 5 second clip like lots of them I hear. With yours you really demo'd the amp.

Eric

8. ROKY

ROKY Member

If this amp is, essentially, a clone of Paisley's AC30/4, I'm having a hard time
    understanding why most reports talk about the clean tones and hifi-ness;
    that you get some nice hair with the volume close to maxed ?

I thought the AC30/4 w/ the EF86 front end was the gainiest of them all ?

A venerable rock and roll beast ?

9. m1911

m1911 Member

Nice clip benttop!
    As Z descibed on his site:
    "The pre Top-Boost piano-like tone, like the opening cord to " Hard Day's Night "... that big healthy CLANG sound to me is like a Grand Piano".
    I bet it will do Pop-Rock and Country as well as anything available.
    I wonder if one of the new Celestion Gold Alnicos would be nice in a 1x12..... Anyone hear one yet?
    Mark

10. The thing sounds amazing! I'm curious too how it would do with a more Coldplay-esque sound, or even some nice country stuff? What are the settings on the Stingray in this clip? I like the drive on it, not too much, not too little. Does it have a nice clean tone?

11. benttop

benttop Member

"Stingray had Cut at noon, Tone at 2 1/2, Volume dimed." And yeah, it has a great clean. I tried to do that "Hard Day's NIght" intro chord to demo that, but my recording facilities aren't sophisticated enough (no grand pianos handy either). I'll do a clean clip soon and post it.

12. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I am no expert but I think the Top Boost AC30's have more gain.

Chuck

13. bitsandvolts

bitsandvolts Member

I'd kill to see some gut shots of the stingray!

14. Reissueplayer

Reissueplayer Member

Great sounding clip! Just curious, but do you really need the extra compression?

15. ROKY

ROKY Member

Hmmm, ok; no argument,here .

I'm still trying figure out what the major appeal of the AC30/4 is besides
    the obvious scarcity/rareness factor..

I used to read/post at PlexiPalace a lot, and I came away with the impression
    that the AC30/4 was the gainiest of all of them ?

In order :

1.AC30/4
    2.AC30 TB/6
    3.AC30 non-TB

Again, I'm not stating that as fact, I just had the impression that was,
    as Tucker Carlson says, "the situation" .

Now, I'm confused, and need to hop over to PlexiPalace and get this
    cleared up !

16. benttop

benttop Member

Probably not. It was part of the test actually - been testing that compressor for a few weeks here and it was already in the chain and just sounded right for what I was doing.

17. benttop

benttop Member

I've been making clips for a few weeks here, so I decided to post them all in this thread for comparison's sake:

Stingray Wide Open and other tones:

WideOpen

Third Stingray Wide Open Clip: Grosh Tele > Humphrey Audio Atom Smasher > Stingray > Airbrake > Weber Alnico California

Atom Smasher all knobs at noon except attack at minimum. Stingray had Cut at noon, Tone at 2 1/2, Volume dimed. H&K Rotosphere II in the loop (you can hear it briefly)

WideOpen3Blues

PRS Singlecut (Fralin PAF's) into Stingray into Airbrake into THD 2x12
    Cut: Dimed. Tone: Noon Volume: Dimed

StingrayHumbuckers.mp3

PRS Singlecut (Fralin PAF's) > Time Machine Boost > Stingray > Airbrake > THD 2x12 > Rode NT1 > Alesis Studio 32 > Layla (PC)

Stingray:
    Cut: 4
    Tone: 3
    Volume: 10
    Input: Hi
    Time Machine Boost:
    Modern: 2:30 o'clock

RockOverBlues

Grosh Tele (bridge pup) > Stingray > Airbrake > Weber Alnico California
    Stingray:
    Cut: 3
    Tone: 3
    Volume: 10
    Input: HI

TwangyClip

18. westerhever

westerhever Member

here you can see some :

www.proguitar.de

19. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Sweet sounding amp fo sho. Very very cool.

20. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Member

Steve, love your playing......lots of feeling and energy.......thank you. How old are you......my guess is 50ish?